PDA

View Full Version : Rough Ride Chopper

dbroken64
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey!!!
Newbie again. Was wondering about the rough ride my father is having on his Dixie Chopper. He bought a 44 Silver Eagle and is just using it cutting his 2.5 acres. He has only had a couple of weeks and he really hates how rough it is. Is there something he can do to it to make it more smooth or all of the choppers ride like this. I have a Scag Wildcat and it rides nothing like this thing but of course it weighs more than the chopper too. Any help for a disappointed father???????:waving: :confused:

1grnlwn
10-31-2006, 09:52 PM
A. Experiment with lower tire pressures.
B. Slow down.

dbroken64
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
I am sure the speed thing is no problem with him ( he is 62 and slowed natured LOL ) but I dont know if he has fooled with the tire pressure yet. I will check with him and see. Thanks for the input. :clapping:

luv2mow
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
I have the very same mower. 27hp/44d. Hate to say it but other than the expected rough spots in my yard it has been very comfortable. I am also mowing 2.5-3 acres so we are spending the same time on the mower. I think the suggestions given in the previous post are a good place to start. My dealer really pushed checking the tire pressure each chance I get. Not much help but I can at least say mine rides good so you may need to check elsewhere. Also. I tried the new springer forks and couldnt tell hardly any difference at all. Save your 300.00 plus dollars.

Josh.S
10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
All dixie's ride rough.. the problem with the silver eagles is the smaller wheels makes it ride even more rough than the bigger heavier ones like mine..

There is nothing I know of except maybe tire pressure to smooth this out...

Silver Eagles are just a cheap version of the real Dixie's anyhow :laugh: ...

sawman65
11-01-2006, 07:01 AM
are you sure he is not just jumping it aroud? the sticks have no damping system on them and will make it a rough ride if not driven smothly.give him some more stick time and things should smoth out

noseha
11-01-2006, 07:11 AM
A. Experiment with lower tire pressures.
B. Slow down.

Is there a suspenion seat for them, if not you can look at t.s.c. for one or some place like that

fearthedeere
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Most dixies have a shorter wheelbase as compared to other mowers...they combat this with very low tire pressures. The silver eagle...I'm not sure if its wheelbase is that much shorter as compared to comparable mowers. The lack of dampeners could also be a factor to...it takes a smooth hand to get a fluid ride on these things!

DEEJ
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I agree on the suggestion for a suspension seat. A mandatory requirement in my view.

Since my first one, I will never have a rider without one.

Also check tire pressures as suggested. Go by the pressures in the owner's manual, or slightly lower. The tire sidewall pressure (on any tire) is the maximum the tire is rated for at maximum load, not what the tire should be set for in this application. The application (weight and use) determines proper tire pressure for any application.

Jimmyed
11-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I run the air in the rear of my dixie tires around 4.5-5psi. Fronts are set at 20psi.
Ride quality is greatly improved at 5psi, so is traction.
Ive never lost a bead and don't mow much flat ground..

dbroken64
11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for the input. I will see him in a few days and will try the suggestion of lowering the tire pressure. I am sure too after he rides it for awhile he will start handling it alot better. :usflag: :waving: