PDA

View Full Version : What's This Boat Worth?

FearThisDeere
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
I have checked the blue book on it, but just want some other opinions. I have the chance to get this boat for nothing, well trade for it. It is in really good shape. It is a 1991 22' SunRay cuddy cabin. It has a newer 305 Chevy with only 50 hours on it. The trailer is newer. Everything works. Has the full enlclosure. Sink, toilet, washdown, full electronics, etc... Everything you need. I have been looking ot upgrade for some time now. With a little cleaning up, this might be the boat for me.

FearThisDeere
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM

FearThisDeere
10-31-2006, 09:35 PM

FearThisDeere
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Last One!!!!!

geogunn
10-31-2006, 10:51 PM
15 years old? no history on care in a MA environment?

I'd offer $4500. that can't be too far off.

I mean but if you can get it for $0.00...I'll give you $100.00 for it......

GEO :waving:

PMLAWN
11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
That would bring around 10K here give or take a few grand for close inspection. But I think boats get more down here as a boat like that could be used all year.
Sea Ray is top line. But check out the Gel coat for cracks. Also look hard at the transom. Inside and out. Water can get in and rot the wood core and the boat is junk. If it was stored and water got in the hull and froze it may have done damage to the stringers or transom.
How soft is the canvas. Can you see thru the windows still? Dry canvas and yellow windows can mean short life on that. And that is not cheap. Question the reason for the engine swap. Was the outdrive also changed or just the block. Boats and RVs need to be used; they wear more from sitting than use. Check out belts and hoses--water system too, But if you are getting the thing for nothing--or if the trade is cheap to you-- go for it. Even if you have to put 2-3K into it to bring it back you are ahead.

PMLAWN
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I just noticed it sits on a roller trailer. Are there bunks under the back---If not check how long it has sat on the trailer and be sure the bottom is right there, Bunks are much better than rollers.

PMLAWN
11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Sorry, I read Sea Ray-- You wrote Sun, My mistake-- Make the price here 6-8K. Still OK for your deal

Charles
11-01-2006, 10:38 AM
The newer engine and trailor are worth a good bit. If everything is in good working order then I would say around--6500$. I would ask 7500$ for it.

imdawrlus
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
what are you trading for it?

TWUllc
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Wouldn't buy it.

scholzee
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Check out the make of it for sure, Sea Ray is great but I do not think it is one. If its a Sun Runner they went out of business and had some serious issues with the hulls cracking and breaking. Trailer looks to be about $1500 to $2000 and motor $1500 out drive $1500, so I guess if its around $4K may be worth a gamble.

Planter
11-01-2006, 06:35 PM
$3,500 plus 1.98 for the 2x4 in front of the cabin door.

Brendan Smith
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
paint it camo and you'll have the classiest duck boat on the lake.

i'd give $4000 tops, but that's because of where it is from.

mulcahy mowing
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Thats not a sea ray, looks like an ebtide or a sun runner.

might be worth 4k here

geogunn
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd offer $4500.

based upon the consensus of offers...I'd say my figure was right on!

GEO :laugh:

FearThisDeere
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I have not taken a good hard close look at the boat yet, but I will look at all the things you have mentioned. From my quick glances at it, it seems to be in very good shape. It was always mantained and winterized. The guy has most of the records. He is a friend of mine, so I don't expect too much foul play with what he says about it, but you never know. It is a SunRay for sure, not a SeaRay. I looked it up and have found similar boats. He says a '91, but I say an '89 and the registration on the boat confirms that. It was a lake boat for 90% of it's life. He is the second owner. Has all the electronics. Trailer is four years old and the 305 Chevy has 50 hours on it. You can see through the canvas fine, no tears and no yellowing. I am thinking about hanging up my racing helmet and trading my VW race car and 1986 car/ equipment trailer. I just don't have as much time as I would like. I have about $4500 into my set up, but it is worth around $3800 to $4,000, so I would say that I am on the winning side of things. I might just trun around and sell the boat. I would be able to broaden the market I am selling to. More people would want a boat than a race car. The boat's blue book is around $7500 to $8300, but I know how blue books are. That doesn't include the new engine or the updated electronics. I have looked up the exact same boats for sale around here and they range from $8,000 to $11,200 for a really nice one. There are about 4 of them within 200 miles of here. I think with a little cleaning it could be a nice boat for me or someone else.

FearThisDeere
11-01-2006, 08:02 PM
check out the Gel coat. Question the reason for the engine swap. Was the outdrive also changed or just the block.
Very good point PM. I am going to print this thread out and bring it with me if we get close to a dela and ask all these questions. I know that the Gel coat was in good shape, but it might have been redone at sometime. It has brand new bottom paint as well. I think the engine was changed because someone forgot to do the oil or some maintenance thing to it.:nono: That doesn't work well. This guy bought it with the blown motor and had a "new" (I have to find out if it is new or new to the boat) 305 Chevy put in and it only has 50 hours on it. I had a 305 Chevy in my last truck and know that motor well. I will triple check on why the engine was replaced. I know most of them come with the 4.3 Merc. I do not think the outdrive was changed, but it might have been. It is in really good shape and is a Mercruiser. I doubt that it is in the origional without a rebuild on it.

Charles
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I have not taken a good hard close look at the boat yet, but I will look at all the things you have mentioned. From my quick glances at it, it seems to be in very good shape. It was always mantained and winterized. The guy has most of the records. He is a friend of mine, so I don't expect too much foul play with what he says about it, but you never know. It is a SunRay for sure, not a SeaRay. I looked it up and have found similar boats. He says a '91, but I say an '89 and the registration on the boat confirms that. It was a lake boat for 90% of it's life. He is the second owner. Has all the electronics. Trailer is four years old and the 305 Chevy has 50 hours on it. You can see through the canvas fine, no tears and no yellowing. I am thinking about hanging up my racing helmet and trading my VW race car and 1986 car/ equipment trailer. I just don't have as much time as I would like. I have about $4500 into my set up, but it is worth around $3800 to $4,000, so I would say that I am on the winning side of things. I might just trun around and sell the boat. I would be able to broaden the market I am selling to. More people would want a boat than a race car. The boat's blue book is around $7500 to $8300, but I know how blue books are. That doesn't include the new engine or the updated electronics. I have looked up the exact same boats for sale around here and they range from $8,000 to $11,200 for a really nice one. There are about 4 of them within 200 miles of here. I think with a little cleaning it could be a nice boat for me or someone else.

I and one other person were more correct.:waving: Boats don't lose there value all that much.

FearThisDeere
11-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Talked to the guy today. He might have a buyer lined up for it, so he might pay cash for my set up. We'll see. Anyway, the engine was not replaced, it was rebuilt. Still the orgional engine. The origional owner forgot to do something to it and the engine needed a rebuild. Has 50 hours on it since rebuild. He has all service records on boat, motor, and trailer. Everything is in good shape. No cracks, water has never gotten in. Always flushed out and washed. It was stored on one of those lifting docks on the lake where it was and then everythime is was in the ocean it was hauled out after the use. The only thing that it needs (or so he says) is one of the brake lines on the trailer has rotted out and needs to be replaced. It is a surge brake system. I have never worked on these. What will this entail to fix it? Oh boy, another trailer brake thread!

Pro-Scapes
11-03-2006, 03:38 PM
from someone who has been around boats all thier lives and had everything from 10ft avons to 45 ft tollycrafts..

Spend an afternoon searching thru the boat. Make sure none of the hoses are hard and cracked.

Inspect electrical connections for proper type and no corrosion. I see all tooo many boats with thoes little butt crimp connectors when they should be sealed.

Check all hose clamps for rust or corrosion.

I would do a compression check on the motor and possibly a leak down test.

As stated before check for any signs of rot or softness in any of the structural components.

Drain the outdrive gear oil and look for signs of water (be sure to pump new oil into it)

Pull a sample of engine oil and look for signs of damage or water.

The value could easily range from scrap to 8k depending on the condition of all systems.

We just picked up a 20ft clear water for our trailerable boat. May look for bigger in the spring or pick up a katrina boat to rebuild.

Also a note on the hull numbers. The last 2 digits should be your year.

Charles
11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Ya if the oil is milky, you got trouble. Any seller could go out of their way to hide defects--like changing the oil. I would test drive any boat before buying. Then you can check the oil. While its running you can check for water coming out of the engine/manifold. Hairline cracks are hard to see. Cracks in the block internally are found by checking the oil. Make sure and check the instruments for overheating. Listen for knocking sounds in the engine.

parkwest
11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
How about a marine survey... kinda like a home inspection service for boats?

FearThisDeere
11-03-2006, 08:26 PM
All good points. The guy that owns it is a friend, so I have atleast a little trust with him. A marine survey is a good idea and I have looked into it. Kind of pricey, but would be well worth it in the end if a get real serious about the boat.

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2006, 07:08 PM
All good points. The guy that owns it is a friend, so I have atleast a little trust with him. A marine survey is a good idea and I have looked into it. Kind of pricey, but would be well worth it in the end if a get real serious about the boat.

A survey is CHEAP insurance against buying a lemon or something thats not structurally sound. At least take it to a nuetral marine shop and pay them 100 bucks to look it over.

FearThisDeere
11-10-2006, 08:05 PM
A survey is very cheap insurance. I just don't know how serious I am about the boat. I think I might pass on it, but it is still in the back of my mind.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
That is almost too much boat for a little 305 V-8.... If it runs and doesn't have any pressing issues, for 3500$ investment, just get it if it is what you want. No need to make a big fuss out of it, it is not like your buying a 1,000,000$ boat to cross the atlantic in!

FearThisDeere
11-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Haha... if I was buying a $1,000,000 boat I wouldn't be worried about anything.

mikes landscaping
11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
hey i've been around boats all my life too, and my thought is, that 'life's to short for an ugly boat'.

FearThisDeere
11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
OK, so is this boat ugly?:laugh: This is the boat I currently have. It is a 2004 Sylvan Sea Snapper 16' with a 30 HP Yamaha. I love the boat. It has like 35 hours on it. It is so easy to use and easy to take care of. Cheap to maintain as well. It is just too small for me. I can only fit about 4 people in there at best. Trying to fish from it is a PITA. With the right side colsole, the boat lists to the right like crazy with one person in there, even with my 155 lbs. I have to use sandbags on the other side to even it out lol! Now that I have a bigger truck, you have to get a bigger boat, right?:) Even if I got another boat, I would probably keep this one as well. It is good for small lakes and little coves. Plus my dad owns 60% of it, so you know how that goes!

FearThisDeere
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM

DUSTYCEDAR
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
i like the little boat and the big one also now i need a friend to buy one

mikes landscaping
11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
well if you like to do a lot of fishing then that boat probably isn't the boat for you. Don't compromise, get a boat you really want that can fit your needs.:)

Total.Lawn.Care
11-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Around my neck of the woods, that boat would be about $5-7K depending on the condition. If it was in top condition for that age, 100% water ready and trailer in good towing condition, it would be a $7K boat no problem.

PMLAWN
11-14-2006, 02:49 AM
well if you like to do a lot of fishing then that boat probably isn't the boat for you. Don't compromise, get a boat you really want that can fit your needs.:)
Don't compromise!!! a a boat for every need,one for each!!:)

Deere, I like the small one too, (but I am too old to sit on the bench, I need the padded seats:laugh: ) and yes you always need to match the truck to the boat. Make sure the color matches.
You have 2 footidis The only cure is a yearly visit to your local boat show and the purchase of a new boat. You may also need a bigger driveway:laugh:

FearThisDeere
11-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Don't compromise!!! a a boat for every need,one for each!!:)

Deere, I like the small one too, (but I am too old to sit on the bench, I need the padded seats:laugh: ) and yes you always need to match the truck to the boat. Make sure the color matches.
You have 2 footidis The only cure is a yearly visit to your local boat show and the purchase of a new boat. You may also need a bigger driveway:laugh:
Exactly. The current boat is the fishing rig. It is a pain to fish from, but once I put a floor in it will be easier. It is great for what we use it for, except those seats are terrible. My back aches for days. I like it full throttle, so after a while I loose all feeling in my back lol! The new boat will be soemthing for a change. More of a pleasure boat with big comfy seats, a good amount of power, and something bigger to get a little further out. We have taken the current boat on a 16 mile river trip on a real nice day, but that is as far as I would go. We'll see what I can come up with. I think the deal with the boat on the first page may be going south because I can't get the guy to email me back or call. I don't know about a NEW boat, maybe if I win the lottery.