PDA

View Full Version : Detective Time???

PurpHaze
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Got a work order that an area was "very wet" and went out to do a little detective work. Found the following situation which is a property line interface zone between two sites. Want to hazard a guess as to what caused it? Actually quite simple but thought I'd provide insufficient information... sorta like a lot of the questions we field here. :laugh:

Dirty Water
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Valve box resting on lateral line, those ruts are from a big truck? :)

PurpHaze
10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Valve box resting on lateral line,

Nope... not even close.

those ruts are from a big truck?

Crane truck with HVAC unit on it.

londonrain
10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Low end drainage caused the turf to be soft. Then the truck ran over the head and pushed it down into the turf and system ran for a few days..

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Great deduction... but that's not it. I like the way you think though. :)

I'll post the "answer" pictures this afternoon.

jerryrwm
11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Line on property A was cut while doing installation or service on property B. Couldn't see any water running after doing repairs and checking system on B. Then everytime A runs it floods area through open pipe?

Is that it? What do I win? A DanaMac Fan Club gimme cap?

DanaMac
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Line on property A was cut while doing installation or service on property B. Couldn't see any water running after doing repairs and checking system on B. Then everytime A runs it floods area through open pipe?

Hey now, if you're going to make fun of it. We'll just leave you out of the club. :laugh: :laugh:

PROFESSORRAIN
11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Water possibly from roof drains (drops off building to right) see staind concrete from right?

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 10:56 PM

Not quite. Maybe Dana will part with a picture of his legs though??? :laugh:

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Water possibly from roof drains (drops off building to right) see staind concrete from right?

Great deduction!!! You win... although the water is actually from four PGP sprinklers that either dump water directly on the swampy area or onto the concrete drain channel that then carries the water to the swamp. One sprinkler was put directly behind an electrical transformer and all the water hitting the transformer was just sloshing down the concrete.

The boss met with the original contractor today about the problem. One sprinkler got capped, two others had smaller nozzles put in and the whole system was cut back total time. The zones hadn't been cut back either for the fall like our systems were about 7 weeks ago.

Basically one of the simplest explanations. Too much water. :laugh:

DanaMac
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Not quite. Maybe Dana will part with a picture of his legs though??? :laugh:

But if I did that, then SheShovel would probably become my own personal stalker!!

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
But if I did that, then SheShovel would probably become my own personal stalker!!

Probably won't be because of the legs... She has a sandal fetish. :laugh:

Dirty Water
11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Great deduction!!! You win... although the water is actually from four PGP sprinklers that either dump water directly on the swampy area or onto the concrete drain channel that then carries the water to the swamp. One sprinkler was put directly behind an electrical transformer and all the water hitting the transformer was just sloshing down the concrete.

The boss met with the original contractor today about the problem. One sprinkler got capped, two others had smaller nozzles put in and the whole system was cut back total time. The zones hadn't been cut back either for the fall like our systems were about 7 weeks ago.

Basically one of the simplest explanations. Too much water. :laugh:

Sounds like my phantom leak from last friday.

Two sprayhead zones watering above a retaining wall. After about 20 minutes, water comes POURING out of the lower side of the wall, right where the valves were.

After digging, I discovered that there was a 4" drain out letting right the ground was so saturated that any new water just made it drain out.

My solution was to cut the time down drastically, and I let the owner know that the drain should be extended to an area where it can drain without making a mess.

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Kind of like a frosh football practice field situation we had two weeks ago. Complaint was "end of field real muddy" while the other end of field was fine. Problem was that they're creatures of habit and always practiced in the same area every day. Solution: MOVE!

sheshovel
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I already am babycakes!