PDA

View Full Version : First MP-Rotator Strips

PurpHaze
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
While out on the detective work from the prior thread I decided to switch out a zone from spray pop-ups to MPR strips... our first ones in the district for the side, left and right MPR strip sprinklers. The grass is about 7' across in the zone. The pictures don't really do justice and I was a little skeptical at first of the coverage. So... being an inquisitive irrigator I went out and stood in the middle of the grass. Didn't take long for the jeans and Redwings to start getting wet.

BTW... The wet sidewalk is from blowing out the PRX bodies through their flush caps before installing the MPR sprinkler nozzles.

Dirty Water
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67292&d=1162348913

I thought you didn't believe in tilting head's :)

PurpHaze
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
These are angled... NOT tilted. Didn't feel like digging them all up. :)

SprinklerGuy
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Hmmm...at least when I tilt my heads there is rhyme or reason...you have on tilted down and one tilted up yet the slope is flat and the distance they need to go is the same...wtf?

Ed G
11-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Uh, oh. Did I make a major mistake by using a level and insuring all my sprinkler bodies (with the MPR's) were level and plumb? I didn't angle any of mine.

Damn, now I gotta go out there and start kicking heads to get 'em to look like a pro installed them :)

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Hmmm...at least when I tilt my heads there is rhyme or reason...you have on tilted down and one tilted up yet the slope is flat and the distance they need to go is the same...wtf?

We didn't replace the buckets. We just dug up around them, unscrewed the guts and switched out the 570Zs to 570Z-PRXs. :)

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Uh, oh. Did I make a major mistake by using a level and insuring all my sprinkler bodies (with the MPR's) were level and plumb? I didn't angle any of mine.

Sheesh Ed... Next you'll having me thinking you're a little anal retentive by using a level on them. :laugh:

Damn, now I gotta go out there and start kicking heads to get 'em to look like a pro installed them :)

I didn't do the original install. We only changed out the guts. :)

Hank Reardon
11-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Sheesh Ed... Next you'll having me thinking you're a little anal retentive by using a level on them. :laugh:

You say anal like it a bad thing! I prefer OCD rather than anal, thank you! :laugh:

I actually use a clip-on bubble level (OCD) on new installations [when you have the body exposed] and another little bubble level (more OCD) that fits on top for older installations.

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
You say anal like it a bad thing! I prefer OCD rather than anal, thank you! :laugh:

I actually use a clip-on bubble level (OCD) on new installations [when you have the body exposed] and another little bubble level (more OCD) that fits on top for older installations.

LOL......... :laugh:

I get pretty close without any level. :)

I love to inspect work and walk up and put my heel down next to a sprinkler and it sinks in 6" due to lack of compaction around the head and swing joint. Probably one of the leading causes of crappy original sprinkle tilt. Doesn't hurt to have size 13 boots, 6'-6" frame and 250 lbs. into it either. Separates the pros from the wanna-bees.

Disclaimer: "The above described method should only be performed by professionals. Due not attempt to perform this at home with sandals on." :laugh: :laugh: :p

Dirty Water
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Rookies.

I can tell perfect height and level by just stepping on a non popped head.

:)

That said, I'll tilt a head if it makes sense to me.

PurpHaze
11-01-2006, 11:50 PM
That said, I'll tilt a head if it makes sense to me.

Like to "backwater" a planter? :laugh:

Dirty Water
11-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Like to "backwater" a planter? :laugh:

Nah, I typically tilt on extreme slopes, or if your in situation where you want longer throw to one side of the arc than the other.

IRRITECH
11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
At $65/hour to straighten them, keep them coming PH :laugh:

DarkLotus
11-03-2006, 09:23 PM
So what's you impression of them?

PurpHaze
11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I've now had the chance to use all the various arcs/distances and am quite impressed with them.

DarkLotus
11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I have yet to try out the MP Strips. I am a big fan of the MP Rotator series, unfortunately no one in Miami will use them.

Flow Control
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Just started using MP rotors more and more. Not a fan yet but it sure does offer another angle on design.

We are doing some small track type homes. It is a slower moving development, we did 5 this fall and maybe 15 for next year. Now on my first three homes were zoned 6,5,4 and my two with MP's are zoned 2 & 2. I am looking forward to using them on large corner lots (for treelawn use) next year. And used them on another home last week. Mixed the 10's and 30's on what otherwise would have been a two zones (one for sprays and one for rotors)

Flow Control
11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I have yet to try out the MP Strips. I am a big fan of the MP Rotator series, unfortunately no one in Miami will use them.

Do they prefer the faster distribution on conventional sprays? Or is more trying to teach a old dog new tricks?

DarkLotus
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
The statement, teaching an old dog new tricks is partially true. Some of the ol' timers won't give new things a chance, even if the price is right... Others have no idea on what their doing, the blind leading the blind. Most of my customers are big time irrigation contractors who only do large commercial and highway work. They follow the plan the architect made.

I rarely see residential install around here, partially due to my location. I don't know... I just get bummed when there is no variety, no change, and no urge to help save water and/or better your systems in certain circumstances.

I have been on both sides of the counter and loved trying new things that can help my job.

Flow Control
11-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Are all of the com jobs designed already designed or are any design build. If you ever slow up you might want to sit down with some guys that do the design builds and stress to them the flexibility the product offers. I just submitted a drawing today on a library. I am using something like 70 or so sprays and 5 rotors (small job) but by using the mp nozzle I was able to design 4 zones which will save wire, valves, etc. Otherwise it would have been atleast 7-8 with only a 1" poc. December 2nd I am taking my test for the Lee County area. Is the popular website for commercial bidding Dodge or is it something else?

Ed G
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
according to my favorite Irrigation supplier in Orlando, hardly anyone in this area knows about the MP Rotators. They only knew of one person who was using them (an employee's uncle) and they were shocked that a joe homeowner came to purchase them.

They wanted to know how I learned about them.

It was from this forum.

Hank Reardon
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
...they were shocked that a joe homeowner came to purchase them.

You weren't wearing those shorts were you?

PROFESSORRAIN
11-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Im thinkig that with all the sand down in south beach it would be great!but they are thinking saturate.Purp is it sandy in your area in cali.

Ed G
11-08-2006, 07:42 AM
I wasn't wearing the shorts, but I did have my dogs with me...

well darn. the picture was too big.

PurpHaze
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Im thinkig that with all the sand down in south beach it would be great!but they are thinking saturate.Purp is it sandy in your area in cali.

We run the whole range on soil texture in this area from almost pure sand (near the rivers) to clay and hard pan (up the hill in citrus country). However, the majority of our soil texture would probably be sandy loam.