PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Business Decision

jeffh1988
11-01-2006, 01:25 AM
ok guys heres the deal i've been running a john deere lawn tractor for two and a half years and i'm only 18 so at the time of purchase i was very limited. I did however buy a heavier model not just the cheapest one. Anyway its really been a great mower and done everything i've asked it too and i have known its time was limited since about the middle of this year. I had been hoping it would last throughout the rest of the season and i make a ztr purchase in the spring. Heres the problem it finally pretty much died today so now i need a mower to finish up the year. they say it can be fixed but it will take some $$$ and i'm thinking i don't want to sink money into something i plan on retiring next year. My dilema is i'm currently not in the position to make a large purchase and want to wait to the spring when my income picks back up however i have a friend in the business who has a say 4 year old tops mower that he will sell me. It is a Toro he bought and only put about 100 hours on it and it has sat for a couple years since he bought a bigger mower. Its a 44" toro walkbehind and it has a bagger and sulkey to go with it. So what should i do make the purchase and get the toro which will probaly be too small for me next year as i am growing or fix the deere and get through the year??? The toro could be a good back up mower i guess but it would see limited use next year if i upgrade. and also he has given whati think is a pretty good price but what does everyone think the Toro is worth?

Sorry for the long post but money is tight i need the advice to steer me towards the best way to spend it!

Thanks
Jeff

The Captain
11-01-2006, 02:16 AM
If you put the money into repairs now, will you have a place/need for the Deer in your lineup next year. If so, fix it and keep as a backup. It is already paid for. While not knowing the costs, the repair may still be the most sensible thing for the remainder of this year.

topsites
11-01-2006, 02:39 AM
No sir, I do not think it will slow you down at all, the Wb is the mainstay machine for yards smaller than an acre ( <43,560 sq.feet).

All I had for 4+ years were Wb's, they easily outrun any homeowner's rider without even trying, and they easily keep up with Z's as well. Matter of fact, they outrun or keep up with Z's on anything 3/4 acres or less, again easily.

They are light, highly maneuverable, powerful, torquey and fast (6+mph). Although 6+mph may seem slower than 12+mph, the simple fact is it takes DISTANCE to build speed and then to slow down, so if you don't have a lot of turf to run around in, the Z can't build the speed before it has to slow down for the next turn: On that note, the Wb can take turns a lot faster than a Z, any day.

If you want my honest opinion, I just now bought a Z in my 5th year, and I'm telling you those things are the biggest waste of money: They're nice to have, fun to ride, the customers love to see them but they suck fuel like nobody's business and in yards smaller than an acre, they are big and cumbersome and it takes forever to get them around the lot: PITA !!!

Contrary to popular belief, sitting down on a Z is NOT more comfortable than riding the Velke. Granted it's not less comfortable, but the only difference is instead of your knees and ankles absorbing the shocks, it goes straight to your spine, you still feel it after a day... Honestly, Velke or sitting down, same thing bro.

Should you consider purchasing a Z in the future, keep in mind the lesson I learned: You NEED the yards to justify it, you really need at least a half dozen or more BIG lots (acre+), the Z is a machine made to run long, straight stretches - The ONLY time the Z will pull ahead is in those straight out runs, the longer it can run all out, the better.

I still use my 48" Wb's a lot more than my 60" Ztr: They're also faster to load / unload, the truck feels the difference as well.
So as for what I think, you will love the Toro with that T-bar.

topsites
11-01-2006, 02:52 AM
dang i got cut off...

perhaps i might suggest, add up the cost of fixing your current mower vs. the cost of buying the Wb, which one can you afford?

Because as was already pointed out, it's dang near end of season.

Btw, what's wrong with it, can you FIY?

jeffh1988
11-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Well even with the cost of repairs i'm not sure its worth it. I need something more efficient next year and and 75 percent of my yards are much bigger than 1 acre lots so i belive a Z will be the more productive mower although i fully understand your point about the smaller yards the market in my area is large lots. So i'm leaning towards the walk behind because it will be a much better back up mower i believe. It is close to the end of the season so i have also thought of getting the walkbehind and just selling it next year i really think i'm getting a deal if i do buy it. So my question is whats the value on the Toro that is described in my ealier post?

Thanks
Jeff

seacoastlandscape
11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
what kind of condition is it in and what is he asking for it? Although it hasnt seen much use has he still maintained it or just let it sit?

jeffh1988
11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I had an opportunity a while back to get a few small residential properties that had to be bagged and i was interested in the mower and looked it over once. The properties didn't work out so its been a few months since i have actually looked at it but i know it hasn't moved. It looked in good condition always kept out of the rain and elements but has just been sitting there with nothing done to it for a good while. He said i could get it for 1000 bucks but i'm pretty sure he'd take 800.... So lets go from there i'm really appreciating all the input.

Thanks
Jeff

Uranus
11-01-2006, 10:35 PM
See it you can finace a zrt the size you want for next year with a no payment for 6 months. That would get you till April without a payment. Have dad finace it if you dont have good enough credit yet. Don't waste your time or money on something that you really dont want or think is to small for what you want for next year. There are a ton of options for financing out there, just get out there and see if you can find something that will help you out now. Think of how nice it would be to sit on a 60 zrt monday morning.

olderthandirt
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
See it you can finace a zrt the size you want for next year with a no payment for 6 months. That would get you till April without a payment. Have dad finace it if you dont have good enough credit yet. Don't waste your time or money on something that you really dont want or think is to small for what you want for next year. There are a ton of options for financing out there, just get out there and see if you can find something that will help you out now. Think of how nice it would be to sit on a 60 zrt monday morning.

DITTO! Now you can buy a demo unit with 20 or 30 hours on it with 20% off dealers cost and no payments till april. Won't find those kind of deals till next fall again

jeffh1988
11-02-2006, 12:54 AM
This is very true guys very true.... O the options are broadening lol.... Still not counting out the walk behind just yet i have thought of a few good points for it so what does everyone think price wise on this mower? Is iit a deal or just the average?

Thanks
Jeff

olderthandirt
11-02-2006, 01:02 AM
This is very true guys very true.... O the options are broadening lol.... Still not counting out the walk behind just yet i have thought of a few good points for it so what does everyone think price wise on this mower? Is iit a deal or just the average?

Thanks
Jeff

I think the deal is nothing special

I sold a 1yr old Gravly Pro 44 still with a yrs warrenty this spring with a new proslide and 4 blade conversion kit, 81 hrs. I was happy to get $1500 and it took ebay to get that.

MSS Mow
11-02-2006, 05:31 PM
No sir, I do not think it will slow you down at all, the Wb is the mainstay machine for yards smaller than an acre ( <43,560 sq.feet).

All I had for 4+ years were Wb's, they easily outrun any homeowner's rider without even trying, and they easily keep up with Z's as well. Matter of fact, they outrun or keep up with Z's on anything 3/4 acres or less, again easily.

They are light, highly maneuverable, powerful, torquey and fast (6+mph). Although 6+mph may seem slower than 12+mph, the simple fact is it takes DISTANCE to build speed and then to slow down, so if you don't have a lot of turf to run around in, the Z can't build the speed before it has to slow down for the next turn: On that note, the Wb can take turns a lot faster than a Z, any day.

If you want my honest opinion, I just now bought a Z in my 5th year, and I'm telling you those things are the biggest waste of money: They're nice to have, fun to ride, the customers love to see them but they suck fuel like nobody's business and in yards smaller than an acre, they are big and cumbersome and it takes forever to get them around the lot: PITA !!!

Contrary to popular belief, sitting down on a Z is NOT more comfortable than riding the Velke. Granted it's not less comfortable, but the only difference is instead of your knees and ankles absorbing the shocks, it goes straight to your spine, you still feel it after a day... Honestly, Velke or sitting down, same thing bro.

Should you consider purchasing a Z in the future, keep in mind the lesson I learned: You NEED the yards to justify it, you really need at least a half dozen or more BIG lots (acre+), the Z is a machine made to run long, straight stretches - The ONLY time the Z will pull ahead is in those straight out runs, the longer it can run all out, the better.

I still use my 48" Wb's a lot more than my 60" Ztr: They're also faster to load / unload, the truck feels the difference as well.
So as for what I think, you will love the Toro with that T-bar.

Topsites,

In my honest opinion, I would have to whole-heartedly disagree with your opinion of a Z. I have yet to see a man (or woman) running a walk behind that can keep up with a Z. If a person knows how to operate a Z properly, even a very small yard will yield significant time savings over a walk behind.

Not a chance that a 48" walkbehind will outrun a 60" Z on ANY property.

A Z is NOT a big waste of money, cumbersome, or a PITA. It is an investment that is very valuable and saves a lot of time, money, and aggrevation.

Perhaps the Z you have purchased sucks fuel, but my experience has been very different.

MarkintheGarden
11-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks
Jeff

It is impossible to say without inspecting, but I think that if he will take the $800 it is a good deal, but not if what you realy need is a ztr. If you are solo, a lot of machines do not do you much good. I like the idea suggested, buying a ztr now.