PDA

View Full Version : BP blower pull rope question

2menandamower
11-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a Red MAx EBZ 5001R and I have been pleased with it......BUT>>>>. Is there anything I can do about the pull rope sticking in the "pulled all the way Out" position? I mean do I need to oil this or spray it with lube of some kind every so often? I had to have it replaced about 2 months after I had it for the same thing and my dealer tried to open it up and lube it (BIG BIG MISTAKE WITH THE SPRING), so he had to put a new one on it.... It does get som rain on it if I am on the way home and it rains or it rains some during the day while I out but the trimmers and the other BP blower I have does not have a problem.... I did also want to know if there is supposed to be a gasket between the motor and the pull rope assembly????

Total.Lawn.Care
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Not familiar with Red Max, but I just replaced a spring in my Exmark 36" Metro Recoil Housing. I had to so some adjusting to get it right, then a week later, the grab pins on the inside that catch on the flywheel housing woudl not engage. I again had to take it apart (but not all the way to the spring) and spray that throughout plate with Fluid Film. Problem solved.

I think wha tyou might need to do is to take the housing off. Untie the handle and wind it in all the way and then pull the rope back out against the pring tension. It sounds like the spring might have slipped around and time or two and there is no tension to wind the cord back up.

2menandamower
11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
When I take the housing off I can tap it against the rail of the trailer or workbench and it will shoot right back in. I am not talking of hitting it hard but just a light tap and it shoots back in. Then with it off I can pull it out and it sticks. It kind of acts like it needs lubed but I don't want to get the rope heavy and then casue it to break.... Thanks for the advice though.

ed2hess
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
You don't want to put lube on it but take it off and blow the dirt out may help. How old is this unit?

2menandamower
11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I bought it in April of this year...

ed2hess
11-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Not likely to be a dirt problem......take it apart hard to tell what is binding.

lawnMaster5000
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM
i have the same problem with a redmax trimmer i bought this year. i dont know if the start assembly is the same or not.

HOWEVER, mine retracts if i take the assembly off the engine.

Lube will not hurt anything, but I would make this your dealers problem seeing as this is under warranty. Tell them to replace the assembly and not to try and "repair" it.

I still havent found an answer for my trimmer but am waiting till grass is done then will give it to the dealer and tell him i either need my money or a working trimmer. (I have had other problems with it.)

If you come up with a correction please let me know.