PDA

View Full Version : Is Fluid Film incompatible with anything?

General Landscaping
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Is Fluid Film incompatible with anything that would be found under the hood of an outboard motor?

wiring & connectors?
rubber gaskets?
spark plug wires?
part # ink on components?
some plastics?
controller boxes?

I'd like to give the entire powerhead a coat to eliminate the need to hose off the parts under the hood after a hard day on the water.

Any problems there?

Dano50
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Is Fluid Film incompatible with anything that would be found under the hood of an outboard motor?

wiring & connectors?
rubber gaskets?
spark plug wires?
part # ink on components?
some plastics?
controller boxes?

I'd like to give the entire powerhead a coat to eliminate the need to hose off the parts under the hood after a hard day on the water.

Any problems there?

I'd say spray away, but I just want to make you aware of three concerns:

1) Fluid Film is non-conductive and will not support static electricity.
2) Fluid Film can cause some swelling in 100% natural rubber.
3) Fluid Film in the aerosol form should never be applied where heat, flames or sparks are present.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
That's cool,love mine.

General Landscaping
11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
:confused: Now for something really odd...

What are the chances of Fluid Film affecting the brazing process?

Joining some stainless tubing to regular steel.
Earlier joints went OK.
Used FF to lube some parts and it wound up all over the area to be brazed.
Cleaned area like normal and now I'm having a hard time getting the bronze to flow onto the stainless tubing. I really have to tease it to get a good joint. The regular steel parts that were not around for the FF application accept the bronze and it flows nicely.:confused:

Is somthing going on or do I need to lay the torch down earlier in the night?

Raven386
11-02-2006, 01:21 AM
can Fluid Film be used as an air freshener? because i dont know about anybody else... but i love the way this stuff smells!

mx495
11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
It works great, but i think it stinks.

Dano50
11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure about the brazing process, but it sounds like you need to clean off the Fluid Film before you apply the bronze?

I'm sorry, I'm just not too familiar with the process to give a more technical answer.

Oh, and I'm not particularly fond about the smell myself although I've heard of people using Fluid Film as a furniture polish because they loved the smell so much. Go figure. To each their own...

Chop Stuff Up
11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure about the brazing process, but it sounds like you need to clean off the Fluid Film before you apply the bronze?

I'm sorry, I'm just not too familiar with the process to give a more technical answer.

Oh, and I'm not particularly fond about the smell myself although I've heard of people using Fluid Film as a furniture polish because they loved the smell so much. Go figure. To each their own...

:laugh: It does have quite an odor to it. You should smell this stuff when it burns off of the exhaust manifold on your truck. :laugh:

General Landscaping
11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
I think I'll leave the Fluid Film on the machinery and use PB, Hoppe's No.9 or MMO for an air freshener.