PDA

View Full Version : ? about a Ferris IS 3000 w/ 25HP Kawasaki

BeautifulBlooms
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
A local guy is selling this mower. Here are the statistics I know of:

Ferris IS 3000
61" Deck
25HP Kawasaki
125 Hours (5 medium sized account for 3 years)

He also says we can have the 5 accounts where he charges $45 per yard average. He says it takes him under 30 minutes to mow blow, and string trim.

He is asking $8950 but it included a $1000 trailer, 3 gator blades for mulching, mulch plate, some grease, a grease gun, 2 hydraulic filters, 3 oil filters. Also includes a Jungle Jim for changing blades.

Anyone have any input, I am wondering if this isn't too much mower for someone who is moving into the lawn mowing side of things. Do I need to start smaller.

fiveoboy01
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
What type of trailer is he including in this?

If it was a nice one in good shape, then I'd tend to think it would be worth it. 125 hours is virtually nothing. I would dis-regard all the other included accessories, they aren't worth all that much in the big picture.

If the trailer is a dinky pos, then I'd still pass on it. Low hours, yes, but the thing is 3, almost 4 years old already.

BeautifulBlooms
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Have there been significant upgrades to this mower since the 2003 model? Is that why the 3000 is no longer offered it is now the 3100?
My biggest concern is quality of cut, not necessarily the ride because I have to be able to retian customers first, and I can always worry about upgrading to save my back later.

The trailer is solid, and is definitely worth about $1000.

shop22
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
there have been some nice improvements to the machine since then. I think the main one being in the rear suspension. They went for hte greaseable a-arms to non greaseable cast iron. Much heavier and no maintenance. Also, not sure if that unit had greaseable spindles. If they are non greaseable plan on replacing them soon at $100 plus for each spindle. I am a ferris dealer and if you have one near you, stop in to see the changes. You'll like the new ones.

BeautifulBlooms
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
This mower had all 4 wheel suspension. Is that possible as a 2003? Maybe it was a 2004 model that he bought in 2003.???

Again my biggest concern is quality of cut.Most comments I read about are positive in regards to the rideability, but my biggest concern is quality of cut, does the suspension cause scalping and missed areas on hills and ditches??

fiveoboy01
11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
There is an LCO in my town who I am good friends with. He's got a 3100 and a 4500, both are '04 or '05 models, can't remember for sure.

I haven't really taken a close look at his properties. He says the cut quailty is good, but you have to slow down when turning or the mower will lean and scalp on the outside.

If the one you are looking at is truly an '03, I'd assume that there definitely have been improvements made since then.

You could call Ferris and find out. Their tech guys have been good on the phone for me and seem to really know their equipment inside and out.

You aren't going to pay a whole lot more for a new 3100, though you won't be getting a trailer in the deal either.