PDA

View Full Version : engaging the blades

Branchland
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
A couple of months ago the pull up knob to engage the blades broke. I picked up another and swapped it out in no time. No problem. The dealer told me to look at the connectors to make sure they weren't shorting and if so how to fix it. I looked and they where fine. Well every once in a while the blades don't engage when I pull up on the knob. It really only happens once every couple of days. But now that I'm getting up leaves and I'm dis-engaging and engaging so often it happens more. I just keep pushing and pulling the knob until they engage. I've checked the connectors again and they're ok. Any ideas on anything else to check? Possibly a bad switch? Any ideas anybody has would be great.

mowerconsultant
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
What model mower do you have? how old? is it a Ogura clutch or a Warner (older) ?
The switch can be tested, I would test it and look at the wiring all the way down to the clutch.

Pj

gene gls
11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
A couple of months ago the pull up knob to engage the blades broke. I picked up another and swapped it out in no time. No problem. The dealer told me to look at the connectors to make sure they weren't shorting and if so how to fix it. I looked and they where fine. Well every once in a while the blades don't engage when I pull up on the knob. It really only happens once every couple of days. But now that I'm getting up leaves and I'm dis-engaging and engaging so often it happens more. I just keep pushing and pulling the knob until they engage. I've checked the connectors again and they're ok. Any ideas on anything else to check? Possibly a bad switch? Any ideas anybody has would be great.

Clutch is ready to crap out.....

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Are you mulching grass that is too high? I had the same problems out of the clutch on my 03 2352 z. Try this... When you are having engagement issues, turn the engine off but leave the ignition key on. Engage the blades to see if the clutch gives its "tell tale" clunk that shows you it is working. If not, hit the clutch with a mallot(while the switch is on) and see if that does the trick. If so, you probably just need to tighten the clearances in your clutch a little bit. It's easy to do. Just equally tighten the three bolts under the clutch basket a few times. If the blades turn when the engine is on but the pto switch is off, it means you have tightened the clutch up too much. Hope this helps.

Branchland
11-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Sorry for not giving all the info the first time. It is a 2004 super z 60/27 kol. As far as the brand of clutch I have no idea. No the grass is not high, it does it even if on pavement. Thank yall for what info you've already gave. I'll try what you said accu-cut and see what happens. And completly check the wiring.

mowerconsultant
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Sounds like the clutch either is not getting enough voltage or it may be on the way out.
I don't think you have a adjustable clutch, those are the Ogura's we used at one time, we now use the Warner Mag-Stop clutch and they are not adjustable.
Check the wiring and also check the voltage at the clutch connector.
Your dealer can also check all this to.

Pj

cbelawn
11-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Been going on about 2 monthes and i have not had time to look into whats happening. Is there a way to take a amperage/resistance on the clutch? I do notice it mostly happends when being used a larger lawn when cluch engaged longer and may be heating up. I am about to put the equipment away for the winter so this will be a problom for the spring. I will try to take temp readings on the clutch and see if that tells a story. peace

mowerconsultant
11-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Been going on about 2 monthes and i have not had time to look into whats happening. Is there a way to take a amperage/resistance on the clutch? I do notice it mostly happends when being used a larger lawn when cluch engaged longer and may be heating up. I am about to put the equipment away for the winter so this will be a problom for the spring. I will try to take temp readings on the clutch and see if that tells a story. peace

Your unit has a Warner Mag Stop clutch on it, you can check the resistance on the clutch.

HenryB
11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Why not run a direct wire from the blade switch to the clutch and for that matter from the key to the starter and be done with nagging problems. These problems exist in wiring harnesses.

mowerconsultant
11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Why not run a direct wire from the blade switch to the clutch and for that matter from the key to the starter and be done with nagging problems. These problems exist in wiring harnesses.

Because that would bypass all the safety switches in the mower and that is not safe and we don't want that happening.