PDA

View Full Version : 250 Deere

Fieldman12
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I noticed on my Series II skid steer that when setting on the machine if you look at where the booms actually touch the skid steer machine that it actually sets to one side of the machine more than the other. Is this normal? The booms actually set flat against the machine on both sides so nothing appears bent. Also I notice a little movment of the booms when going into piles. It will either go left or right and rub the bracket that is on each side of the machine where you get in and out. How much is normal movement? I know these bracket are for support but is it normal to be touching them often?

RockSet N' Grade
11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
How many hours on your machine?

This "problem" has been noticed by alot of guys around here that have deere skids. In fact, after about 1000 hours you can actually push the boom by hand back and forth and get it to start rocking left to right.

I don't know what the service or manufacturer will tell you, but the guys that have them around here are (almost in unison) looking for a place or a way to dump the machine and get another brand.

Fieldman12
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
It has about 1900 hrs on it.

Scag48
11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately, it's a common problem for the 200 series skid steers. The pins and bushings simply do not hold up as well as they should and over time, play in the bushings starts to occur. The best I can tell you is that you can either deal with the problem as the resale on that machine is shot as is sits, or buy another machine. The cost of line boring and installing new pins and bushings simply wouldn't be worth your time.

ksss
11-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I am sure Deere 270 will tell us that his Deere is the best ever and that everyone around him runs Deere skid steers. However everyone else that I know that has one has not been happy with them. I actually don't know anyone that has put that many hours on one. Most of the guys around here either traded them for another brand or Deere gave them a new one. There is one guy here who has bought one Deere skid and is on Deere number 5. He is tired of the POS and is now trading out of the Deere skid. The boom slop is a common complaint even on the 300 series. You may try and shim the side to side motion out of the boom if you can using large washers (the dealer probably has special shims for this). I don't know how those pins come out but they must be made to shim some how I would think. If the machine has been good for you, you may have the machine fixed but like Scag said you would be best to trade out of it. Deere may give you a smokin deal on another one. They seem to be good that way.

Fieldman12
11-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Actually beleive it or not the reason I bought the Deere machine is because around here the Deere skid steers are loved. I was told to buy a Deere over a Bobcat, Caterpillar, and the others by several people. I was also told that the Case and New Holland machines where very good machines also. As far as constuction equipment from what I have been around I beleive Cat is the best. Case and Deere make good equipment also.

Dirty Water
11-03-2006, 12:53 AM
The old deer skids were 90% new holland skids. I think the first all deere skids were the 250's...Which explains the problems.

If you want a reliable but simple skid, look at New Holland, if you want bells and whistles look at Bobcat.

Personally, my only experience with Case has been the 1845 loader, which is a great old machine.

I'm still on the fence on cat.

Scag48
11-03-2006, 03:40 AM
Cat makes some of the best skids (radial lift machines anyway, Cat's vertical lift is terrible) you can buy next to Case. Period. Bobcat is all about operator comfort, Deere likes to think their machine is best, NH are just bulletproof, no frills machines, Case is straight durability, and Cat likes to roll just about all of that into one. The first thing I think of when I think of Cat skids is ease of use, not so much comfort, but the pilot controls handle so well I just can't have it any other way. The amount of control the pilot system gives the operator is immense. Most of the guys who don't like the pilot system are veterans of yank 'em sticks and don't see any other way. Cat provides a solid machine that is extremely durable, the motors are bulletproof, the cabs are comfy yet not designed with the space shuttle in mind (Bobcat), and overall they get the job done. The joke of it is, Cat skids really aren't much more expensive than Bobcat or any other brand. In fact, when we bought our 216, it was less than a comparable Bobcat.

jd270
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
my 270 has been good to me its been in the shop 1 time in the 5 years i have owened it to put in a block heater other than regular mant it hasent cost me a dime .a lot better than i can say about the cat 246 or the bobcat 873 i had ..my booms feel tight but i do grease alot.there are a lot of deeres around here my deeler is 2 miles from me and the mechanics are my friends and they say that they rarely have to work on them

Fieldman12
11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I called my local Deere dealer today (JD Equipment) and the guy in the shop said this was the first time he had heard of this. I was at work so I did not have my serial number with me. He said if I had my serial number he could look up what all has been done to the machine plus any updates. It's not real bad but is noticeable. He said that hitting the stops was normal as I figured.

Scag48
11-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Your Deere dealer must be either a little slow hearing the news or they're playing dumb, that largest and most known problem with the 200 series skids was the boom arm slop. Obviously your dealer isn't up with the times, I'd bail on the machine and get away if your dealer doesn't even know about this issue. That's ridiculous.

Fieldman12
11-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Well according to my dealer they dont get too many in but it's mainly a Farm Equipment Dealer.

SinjonAssociates
11-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Your most honest response about this issue will be from other Deere owners, when you see one ask the operator about any issues you have come across. It is hard to buy a used machine because you don't know how it has been taken care of previously. Before you give up on it, ask yourself if it is doing the job that you need it to do and ask every JD owner that you come across.

George

Fieldman12
11-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Well really other than this issue Im very happy. I am new at this skid steer thing but I did do a good bit of research before buying including on here. I know where I live and its not all Green (Deere) country I see allot of Bobcat, Case, New Holland, and Deere. I see a few Cats but not many because no close dealer and from the ones I have priced used and new they just cost allot more. Allot of the construction people around here that have Cat, Case, Komatsu equipment like the Deere skids so I guess thats why Im puzzled with not many who like them on here. To be honest the Deeres are high I think around here. I see allot of the 99 models with at least a 1000 hours and look terrible sell for $16,000 up.

JDSKIDSTEER
11-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Well really other than this issue Im very happy. I am new at this skid steer thing but I did do a good bit of research before buying including on here. I know where I live and its not all Green (Deere) country I see allot of Bobcat, Case, New Holland, and Deere. I see a few Cats but not many because no close dealer and from the ones I have priced used and new they just cost allot more. Allot of the construction people around here that have Cat, Case, Komatsu equipment like the Deere skids so I guess thats why Im puzzled with not many who like them on here. To be honest the Deeres are high I think around here. I see allot of the 99 models with at least a 1000 hours and look terrible sell for $16,000 up.
Fieldman, It depends on the area you live in. The brand the has the best dealer support usualy dominates. Bobcat use to have 80% market share in our area New Holland almost the rest. Now Deere and Cat are at 25-30% each. As far as Deere vs. New Holland that is the machines I have personaly traded in the most. Find one with 1900 hours and ask them if you can run it. You will think your Deere is new compared to it. Other than that I do not bash other brands. they are all pretty good and all have issues. Besides if I bash them I will have a hard time selling them after I trade them in.

AWJ Services
11-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Well really other than this issue Im very happy. I am new at this skid steer thing but I did do a good bit of research before buying including on here.

The new Deeres have quite a bit of sided too side motion when under a load.
I was amazed at how much a new machines arms could move.
The arm design does not promote side too side rigidity.

I would not worry about it.
The worst stories about it I hear are when some one is on a side slope and lifting too much weight the boom arms shift and cause the machine too become unstable.

Fieldman12
11-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, I went to a Deere dealer today and looked at all the used Deere units including ones that where the same as new. All of them appeard to have the boom slop because you could tell where they where hitting the stops. That tells me that it must be perfectly normal. I also asked that dealership about it and they said it was normal. They said your suppose to have some movement like if you hit a obstacle.

jd270
11-04-2006, 04:52 PM
my jd dealer is the biggest in ia ..and it sure seems like people like to bash on somthing they have never owened

Dirty Water
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Personally, my mindset is that any new piece of machinery should as tight as well, insert your own virgin joke here.

I wouldn't buy a brand new machine regardless of what brand if I could shove the boom back and forth by hand.

Remember, as pins wear the boom will get even more loose, if its loose now, its going to be full of slop by 3000 hours.

Fieldman12
11-04-2006, 07:30 PM
It does not seem to move when I have the bucket up and I try to rock it back and forth. Only time i notice it is when Im pushing and I turn a little either direction.

ksss
11-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't need to own one to know that they have "issues". Maybe in some applications they hold up fine. The 200 series and the series II are flawed. However if they work for your operation that is all that matters.

beyondupnorth
12-24-2006, 12:11 AM
My 773 g had some boom side slop at 1500 hrs, my nh 160 is quite tight but at only 450 hrs. my 853 is tighter then both at 2300 hours. But it only stands to reson staight lift path machine is going to have more movement then a radius lift path. everytime you and more boom and pins its going to wiggle. Thats why it has rub strips for the boom to touch. I would not get excited unless its touching something it should not be and tearing something up. But I would say grease is even more important to a straight lift path machine.
Ken