PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Pics

Canon Landscaping
11-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Here are are some pics of a wall we just finished.

Mike33
11-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Nice looking job, what kind of blocks?
Mike

neversatisfiedj
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
They look like Versa-Lok . Nice work !

Canon Landscaping
11-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes they are Versa-Lok first time working with them

paponte
11-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Is there any drainage behind that wall? Didn't see any outlets. :confused:

cedarcroft
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
what Paponte said.....where da drainage at? that wall is too high and long to not have any drainage outlets on the face. from my understanding. you should have a "t" in the pipe every 25' draining out the front of the wall. thats how I was taught anyway. otherwise the wall looks well built and the product used is nice also.

Mike33
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I have never did it that wat of t ing it. Most of my walls has atleast 12" or more of gravel and water will follow the gravel. Also we do use pipe, but water does natural flow with it, also we backfill min. of 2' of gravel behind any wall.
Mike

Canon Landscaping
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
The wall was engineered and we built it to specs it has a drain that runs the length of the wall at the base it has 16 inches of 3/4 rock behind the wall and 5 pulls of grid a drain is going to be installed in the drive on the top to keep the water from reaching the wall.

neversatisfiedj
11-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I got NCMA certified last year. They specify 4" perf pipe either corrigated or PVC. If PVC face holes down. They have to be daylighted every 40' of the run. I see more and more of these walls - especially commercial where there are no visable drains or visible 2" PVC. ???? What gives ??

KrayzKajun
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
THat looks really good.

Mike33
11-03-2006, 09:33 PM
The wall was engineered and we built it to specs it has a drain that runs the length of the wall at the base it has 16 inches of 3/4 rock behind the wall and 5 pulls of grid a drain is going to be installed in the drive on the top to keep the water from reaching the wall.
I think you will be fine. looking at pic 1 or 2 the footer runs down hill, so will the water.
Mike

mbella
11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
I got NCMA certified last year. They specify 4" perf pipe either corrigated or PVC. If PVC face holes down. They have to be daylighted every 40' of the run. I see more and more of these walls - especially commercial where there are no visable drains or visible 2" PVC. ???? What gives ??

Yes they do and yes we do, but when have you EVER seen water running from one of these pipes? I asked a couple of years ago and nobody had then and I'll bet nobody has since. Don't get me wrong, we install the pipe, but I think it's overrated.

Canon Landscaping
11-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I agree there are so many tiny gaps between the block the water would never make it to the bottom i think putting enough rock behind the wall is more important.

paponte
11-04-2006, 10:37 AM
They have to be daylighted every 40' of the run

Ditto that, but then again ditto what mbella said. In some instances I have seen water, but it was on an extreme slop and there was ALOT of rain. There was a post of a failed wall in NJ that was posted a few days ago. In order for that wall to "explode" like that, I bet you would have seen water coming out if there were outlets in that wall.

Either way I still install them. I think more as a precaution than enything. Though majority you never see water coming out of, if there is an instance when it would need to I'd rather have installed them then not. Just my opinion, and after all it is a retaining wall.

neversatisfiedj
11-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I will continue to install them Even though they can be an eyesore. The folks at NCMA know more tha I.

Mike33
11-04-2006, 10:48 PM
If your using pipe fine. I do most of the time also, nat. standard no. Lets look at proper intalled srw block. They can actually drain them selves ( weep holes ) 1 reason why i like my allen block hollow core with gravel inside. I use pipe my $ 40.00 ins. policy but i still carry the big policy by over killing the gravel . With 4" pref pipe you are going to have 2.5 inches of water filling up to go in to pipe then drain and some will filter back out of the holes on bottom. The safe bet is a strong footer with gravel to carry it. I would like some one to post some pics of water running out of these pipes, it dont happen much. On some walls i built this summer 100' long and 6' high i had 4' of gravel behind wall. It had no choice but to natural drain out. Also with all of this gravel there is hardly any pressure on the wall compared to 1' of gravel and 3' of dirt holding the moisture. I still feel extra gravel is the key elimanate the surcharge.
Mike

neversatisfiedj
11-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Is that the way the engineer had the drawing ? With no perf pipe ? This will be a debate I bring up at MAHTS.