PDA

View Full Version : Boots?

IRRITECH
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
If you don't wear them don't bother. Has anyone found a decent pair of boots? Over the years I have worn Rockys, Danners, Wolverines, Cabelas, etc (steel toe composite toe , no toe). I rarely pay less than $150. Always Goretex and I wear two pairs of Socks. NOTHING lasts over about 8-9 months? Anyone have any success. Would be more than happy to pay more if I could find something that would last. Don't anyone tell me that cheap boots can be replaced alot of times for less than $150+, If your wearing cheap boots you"ll end up crippled.

Dirty Water
11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Have you tried RedWings?

crab
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
try carolinas best boots i ever had.spelled like the states.had my last ones for 2 years.have you tried snow seal on the leather.

IRRITECH
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
No to the redwings or carolinas and yes to the snow seal. My second to last pair were danners and (almost) religiously applied that to the them trying to keep the area across the toes from cracking. No luck.

Mark B
11-02-2006, 11:26 PM
This is a good thread and question. So here is what I do. If I know i"m going to be digging and in the water I will wear my boots. But if I know I'm not going to be doing that then I will bring my shoes with me. I like doing that since shoes are cooler to wear then the boots are.

Dirty Water
11-02-2006, 11:28 PM
I had a pair of carolina's that lasted about a year for me. Red Wings are really spendy but you'll get a few years out of them.

When I go boot shopping the thing I check is how solid the sole is. I'll wear through a sole long before I ruin the rest of the boot.

PROFESSORRAIN
11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Georgia Boots Called Muddhawgs

IRRITECH
11-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah I finally figured out the sole deal a few years ago but the problem seems to be the leather cracking and blowing the goretex or the side seems blow. As soon as my feet get wet the boots are history I don't care how much sole is left. Maybe I just need to get out of the trenches and let someone else do it..........Nope, its too much fun.

Hank Reardon
11-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah I finally figured out the sole deal a few years ago but the problem seems to be the leather cracking and blowing the goretex or the side seems blow. As soon as my feet get wet the boots are history I don't care how much sole is left. Maybe I just need to get out of the trenches and let someone else do it..........Nope, its too much fun.

I was right there with you till the "fun in trenches" sentence. :)

IRRITECH
11-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Ah Come on Hank, pulling up on the jobsite w/ a half installed system in 45 degree weather and after a rain ( man, that sounds like what we did this morning) you've either got to laugh or cry.

Dirty Water
11-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Ah Come on Hank, pulling up on the jobsite w/ a half installed system in 45 degree weather and after a rain ( man, that sounds like what we did this morning) you've either got to laugh or cry.

Sounds like me today.

Weather has been in the low 30's all week, finally rained last night and it was in the low 40's.

Nothing like finishing up a system in the pouring rain.

Hank Reardon
11-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Sounds like me today.

Weather has been in the low 30's all week, finally rained last night and it was in the low 40's.

Nothing like finishing up a system in the pouring rain.

I got to the jobsite around 7:30 (started raining here around 5:00am), water was already starting to puddle on ground, climbed back into truck, drove home, and watched it pour from my office window while I did some billing.

The good news is it's supposed to get worse tomorrow, right Jon? Its payback time for such a great summer and fall.

I don't care what kind of boots you have, this is lousy work weather.

londonrain
11-03-2006, 12:24 AM
I get less than a year out of a pair of boots. I have tried a bunch of boots and the boots that have held up the best are Georgia Boots.:weightlifter:

Mjtrole
11-03-2006, 12:34 AM
I used to tear red wings up during a season, at seasons end one year I needed a pair for winterizations and bought a pair of timberlands and haven't used any other kind since.

I usually get a new pair right after springtime so that I don't have new boots to ruin with the spring wetness, seems to work pretty good for me, and if the weather is not too bad I will wear tennies for blowouts just for comfort and all of the walking.

smithbro1
11-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Try this website for good boots. Jobmaster is the boot that I have had for three years.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

noseha
11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
red wings and mink oil

dwc
11-04-2006, 10:40 AM
These are what I wear and they are guranteed for 1 year against leaks and defects. They are goretex lined.

http://www.rockyboots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&levelId=4&categoryId1=10102&categoryId2=10108&categoryId3=10128&categoryId4=20661&categoryId=&productId=63385&parent_category_rn=20661

bumper
11-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Try this website for good boots. Jobmaster is the boot that I have had for three years.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

some serious heels on those boots..

Red wings, just had a pair resoled, fit like a glove

Wet_Boots
11-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Couldn't find my Timberlands for yesterday's winterizings, so put on some K-Mart insulateds, and I don't have happy feet this morning.

speedbump
11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
If I am not mistaken, Red Wings are made by B.A. Mason. Mason shoes. Become a dealer and you can buy them for a reduced price. I have been wearing them for years. I like slip ons better than laceups and have usually got one to two years out of them. I think anything longer than that doing trenching or well drilling is asking a bit much from a hunk of cow leather.

Masons website (http://www.bamason.com)

Phone 800-422-1000

bob...

PurpHaze
11-04-2006, 12:43 PM
If I am not mistaken, Red Wings are made by B.A. Mason. Mason shoes. Become a dealer and you can buy them for a reduced price.

Become a dealer and then you don't need to be an irrigator. :laugh:

I have been wearing them for years. I like slip ons better than laceups and have usually got one to two years out of them. I think anything longer than that doing trenching or well drilling is asking a bit much from a hunk of cow leather.

I've been wearing Redwings for over thirty years and the "2 year cycle" for day in, day out wearing is pretty realistic. Nice thing is my wife just goes into the store and the little old man pulls out a worn book, looks my name up with all the particulars as to size and likes (full grain leather, water insulation, high top, low profile lugs on the soles, etc.) and then recommends a boot. Sometimes a particular line lasts years while other times they've made changes but it's always in line with what I like. The best thing about Redwings properly fitted is that there is zero break-in time. Put them on right out of the box and you're off and running.

speedbump
11-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I agree, they don't have to be broke in. I have never had Red Wings, but the Masons are the same boot. I used to buy the boots with the soft rubber sole. They were so comfortable, but if you stepped on a finished wet cement floor, you went skating. I also wore them out too soon, so I went back to the hard soles. I would recommend them highly.

I buy a pair every 2 years on average and believe it or not, I was dealer of the year in Florida for selling the most boots. Go figure.

bob...

PurpHaze
11-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Nothing but hard soles for me. I also don't like the deep lugs so I stay with a lower profile lug. The deep lugs get clogged with mud anyway and then they're just a PITA to get things out of. No real difference in lug profile once you get mud into the cracks. :)

fishinman22487
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Spent about 40 bucks on some Sketchers boots. There waterproof and once in awhile i will rub some mink oil.
Also there a lightweight boot and comfortable!!

PurpHaze
11-05-2006, 12:07 PM
We have some of the grounds guys that wear lighter weight boots. Over the length of time my Redwings hold up under very adverse conditions they've spent as much or more on their boots. :)

londonrain
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Here is a pic of my Georgia Boots that I(My wife really) purchased in April. Notice the red color of the boots IE: the red clay I talk about..