PDA

View Full Version : Selling system add-ons

Mjtrole
11-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Just curious if anybody out there sells "add-ons" when quoting residential installs?

For example:

The hose enclose by carson
Stainless steel rotors
Remotes for controllers
Fertigators

or any other add on's i may have missed?

Dirty Water
11-02-2006, 11:50 PM
We used price an upgrade from PGP's to I-20 in every bid, but so few people took the option that we only do it if they ask.

bobw
11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Wireless Rain Sensors....I won't install wired ones anymore, too many limitations to location, etc. Rain Sensor is a great add on....

Flow Control
11-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Wireless Rain Sensors....I won't install wired ones anymore, too many limitations to location, etc. Rain Sensor is a great add on....

How many years have you been installing the wireless ones? I won't touch them unless there is no other option.

Flow Control
11-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Just curious if anybody out there sells "add-ons" when quoting residential installs?

For example:

The hose enclose by carson
Stainless steel rotors
Remotes for controllers
Fertigators

or any other add on's i may have missed?

I have thrown in steel rotors before since there is one area where the main contractor uses them as standard parts so once I found that out I uncluded them in that area.

Never installed a hose enclosure, they look too cheap to me

I have thrown in remotes as incentives on larger systems.

Thrown in one fertigator but to my knowledge she has yet to use it, I only recommended she use it for the beds only though.

I have sell install varaitions as upgrades and find them to be easier then the above products, allthough the SS rotors are and instant bling bling factor to some.

Az Gardener
11-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I suggest fertigation systems and water management systems as options. The thing is both of these options only have value to the client if they are into the gadgets and will learn and use them or they have a competent maintenance service that will make use of them.

I don't even do new installs any more but when I interview a new prospective maint client I will suggest a fertigation unit first. I would also offer a water management system next if they have more than say a 9 station timer. I have a few of the Acclima systems in and once you get them set they work pretty well I have been very happy with them.

Dirty Water
11-03-2006, 10:23 AM
We've installed one fertigator system. I wasn't that impressed.

It was for beds, I think that in a lawn if you didn't have perfectly matched precipitation you would have some funky green spots on the lawn.

kozmo
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
i just don't like the thought of any fertilizer. airborne seems to me that is a liability.As well as kids and animals.

Green Sweep
11-03-2006, 04:26 PM
We've installed 2 Fertigation systems - both for beds only. One was drip ( for annuals ) and the other was 1812's. Installing the drip sucked because we had to take 2 mainlines into the rear yard through a 5' strip of grass on the side of the house ( plus the lateral that fed that strip ).

IRRITECH
11-03-2006, 07:21 PM
We install the Hunter Wireless w/ every system. Only one problem over the last 4 years. Watch those hose enclosures, Looked like a great Idea. We put one in a home owners yard about 3 years ago, way back in the woods where they have bonfires. About a month ago she called and said her water bill was outrageous. Turns out the hose had a leak ( not the box ). Problem is with the hose enclesure there is no off valve like on a regular hose bibb. That's the only one i've ever used, usually we sell a hose bibb set up in a 12" valve box, $75-$125 depending on where they want it.

PROFESSORRAIN
11-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Fertigation is a good add-on.ss rotors,remote.wrc,how about frost proof hyd.,quick couplers,winter shut down,spring start up,i've even installed a line to water the dog bowl(t off directly past poc.w/ a spring check),also washes of concrete pad in pin.what we will do for a dollar.HAHAHA:drinkup:

aquamtic
11-06-2006, 09:22 PM
We off upgrades such as:

Hunter i-20's, for atleast an extra 10.00 on each head and we do offer the full 5 year warranty. We physically show them the difference between the PGP and the i-20. 9 out of 10 customers always upgrades

Hose Encloses: Sold quite a bit this year and did have some problems with the hoses popping pin holes. They do have a PVC ball valve shutoff before the hose. We always recommend to the customer to use it and never leave the hose under pressure. They are still a bit pricey wholesale for the quality

Remotes: Only on larger projects. No one really wants to play around with remotes.

For 2007: We will be pushing the Watts Outside Shutoff Backflow Hydrant. This will really make our lives easier and customers dont have to be home for shutoff. It also makes for a more better looking install

PROFESSORRAIN
11-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I look at it like this I move water to,from,around,and away from their property with a lot of other extras.I ask "what are your total plans for work being done so as to inform them.

DarkLotus
11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
The Hose Enclose box had an "silent" problem. I have had all the hoses returned defective. They would spring leaks all over, with tiny little holes in the hose for no apparent reason.... Look into making your own, parts are cheap enough.

I'd love to see more ET based timers out there. Also, if the homeowner is the type who wants to touch EVERYTHING, intorduce them to the Irritrol Timer (http://irritrol.com/pccontrol/index.html) where you can fiddle with the programming from the computer.

aquamtic
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
You Said It! I have 8 hoses to return that we found with pin hiles when blowing out.

And yes- I have in mind this winter to fabricate our own boxes with better products.

zman9119
11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd love to see more ET based timers out there. Also, if the homeowner is the type who wants to touch EVERYTHING, introduce them to the Irritrol Timer (http://irritrol.com/pccontrol/index.html) where you can fiddle with the programming from the computer.

The Irritrol PC Control is an OK product. Coming from the world of golf course irrigation with all PC-based programming and control, I was a bit disappointed but I think it is still a nice product (from Irritrol). So far we have sold a few of them (they just came out last month) and are getting ready to install a dual-controller setup this week or next. The it has a remote control built in so you do not have to have the client home to check the programming and you can even email a set program to a client from your office (or they can email one to you).

.mz

DeepRoots
11-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I keep a 'sales box' in my truck.

I show the customer each different item, and we decide which they want. (taking apart a PGP and an I20 in front of someone typically results in an upgrade)

Also my bid sheets (that I fill in the blank on the jobsite) have all the materials listed and how much extra each one is.

there will always be a person that wants the base model, a different personality needs the 'middle of the road' model, and certain people need the most expensive, no questions asked