PDA

View Full Version : blowout with electric air compressor

Crabtree
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Wondering if I could blowout with a 4.5hp/135psi electric air compressor? Anybody tried? If so, how would I connect it? Only have 3 small systems to blowout, trying to avoid the whole rental/pickup/return thing without subbing to someone else. Think it would really take that much longer vs. using towable 100 cfm? I haven't a clue, just lookin for advice...

irritation
11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I would think you should be fine with that in Tennessee.

Wet_Boots
11-03-2006, 08:37 PM
And you know for a fact that the compressor won't trip any circuit breakers at these homes? Obviously, the motor isn't really anything near four-and-a-half horsepower, which would calculate to about 28 amps on 120 volts.

Jason Rose
11-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Depends a lot on the number of sprinklers/volume output per zone. I can get by with my garege compressor just fine for systems with 6 rotors MAX per zone. Still gets pretty iffy getting the last one on the line to blow clean before the air volume is gone. Worst part is the waiting for it to build back up again to do the next zone... Mine is a 165 PSI in the tank, but I obviously regulate the output DOWN to around 80. That amount of pressure, plus it's a 33 gallon tank.

Crabtree
11-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Shouldn't trip any breakers, fairly new homes. Surely the outside plugs are run on their own circuit--no Christmas lights up yet, I hope.
But how would I hook it up? All 3 have a main shut off and backflow. There's no way to get in without taking off the backflows. Is there an adapter to look for or would I have to rig it myself?

Wet_Boots
11-04-2006, 09:47 AM
No low-point drain? Exposed outdoor pipe that will still have water remaining in it? Enjoy.

justgeorge
11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Shouldn't trip any breakers, fairly new homes. Surely the outside plugs are run on their own circuit--no Christmas lights up yet, I hope.
But how would I hook it up? All 3 have a main shut off and backflow. There's no way to get in without taking off the backflows. Is there an adapter to look for or would I have to rig it myself?
Your compressor probably has 1/4" threads (take off any fittings). Go to the hardware store and buy enough adaptors to get it up to 3/4" thread, and thread it on where you remove the backflow. It will take you awhile for each one, I would let the pressure build back up in the tank between each zone, but for only 3 you will be fine.

George

Crabtree
11-12-2006, 12:13 PM
even easier, I used the male ended quick coupler end and threaded it directly into one of the 4 small ball valves(?) in the middle of the backflow. Pressured up and then opened the valve. Worked pretty well but wouldn't recommend it because of the time it took and once the water came out the first time, couldn't get enough pressure to build up to blow a 2nd time. Luckily we don't have severe cold very often here in TN and some systems have gone years without blowout and no busted pipes yet.
Anyway, it worked but i wasn't too impressed in case anyone else is thinking of trying it...

Wet_Boots
11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
To get the most use from a dinky, you have to remove any flow restrictions you can, hence the advice to bush up to 3/4 threads on the compressor itself, and to then use a garden hose between compressor and system. That makes it easier for repeats, as the air charge in the tank (and the hose) pushes through the zones.

drmiller100
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
my goodness. this is a funny joke.

i give a guarantee on all pipes and sprnklers for freeze damage. I use a 200 cfm compressor.

You would go broke giving such a guarantee with an electric cmpressor. Do you mow lawns with an electric lawn mower?

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 08:15 AM
How does that guarantee work out when the system shutoff leaks water and the backflow freezes and breaks?

jerryrwm
11-15-2006, 08:59 AM
my goodness. this is a funny joke.

i give a guarantee on all pipes and sprnklers for freeze damage. I use a 200 cfm compressor.

You would go broke giving such a guarantee with an electric cmpressor. Do you mow lawns with an electric lawn mower?

He had only three systems to blow out. Not very cost effective to go rent an IR-185 or bigger for one day. Not sure what your daily rate is, but if it is only $50.00 and you do three systems and get $60.00 each, you are going to gross $130.00 and labor and time to pick up and return you might as well work for wages.

To many variables to give a guarantee on blow-outs. Have had homeowners and some businesses turn the system back on because the weather turned warm and they wanted one more watering. Then when it freezes they swear they didn't touch it.

MarcSmith
11-15-2006, 10:45 AM
here on campus, I remove the backflows after the sytem is blown...solves the problem of the "turningthe system back on" or accidental turningon by someone else...

drmiller100
11-15-2006, 01:24 PM
He had only three systems to blow out. Not very cost effective to go rent an IR-185 or bigger for one day. Not sure what your daily rate is, but if it is only $50.00 and you do three systems and get $60.00 each, you are going to gross $130.00 and labor and time to pick up and return you might as well work for wages.

i wonder if he would have been better off to skip the whole compressor thing entirely, and wander around with a witching rod willing the water through the pipes. If he had done it that way, he would have been even more profitable, and accomplished about the same thing.

my daily rates to rent the compressor are 200 bucks. this year i had 2 days i lost money on blowing sprinklers due to my poor scheduling.
i still did every system the right way and swallowed my losses like a professional.

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
As long as you're moving air from the furthest sprinkler heads with some velocity, the water will go with it. There isn't any choice in the matter. Winterizing with a dinky will get real old, once the number of systems increases.

BSME
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
As long as you're moving air from the furthest sprinkler heads with some velocity, the water will go with it. There isn't any choice in the matter. Winterizing with a dinky will get real old, once the number of systems increases.

I'd say you at least need enough volume to get the heads to pop up. I've seen some people do it by opening and closing the valve bc the heads wont pop up and they build up enough air to shoot the water out.

JB1
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I guess if you really want to save money on renting a compressor, you could always get a bike tire pump, and pump it real fast.

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 02:48 PM
That's what I hope the guy is doing, to get the heads to pop up and the air to flow with velocity. I'd do the same, if attacking a large system with just a truck-mount.

Mad Estonian
11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
here on campus, I remove the backflows after the sytem is blown...solves the problem of the "turningthe system back on" or accidental turningon by someone else...

Here the purveyor is mandating no unions on backflows. Aaarrgghh. Who the hell is going to go to the trouble of putting in a jumper connection? And if they're willing to do that, what's to stop them just cutting the backflow out anyways? I hate to admit that I can see the bureaucratic reasoning behind it, but it drives me nuts.

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 11:00 PM

Damn Marc... Did some of the "unknown person(s)" from my area move out your way??? :laugh:

CrabtreeLawn
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
man, i would totally mow with an electric mower if they made one big enough, it would save me about $15,000 a year

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-14-2008, 05:46 AM
i wonder if he would have been better off to skip the whole compressor thing entirely, and wander around with a witching rod willing the water through the pipes. If he had done it that way, he would have been even more profitable, and accomplished about the same thing.

my daily rates to rent the compressor are 200 bucks. this year i had 2 days i lost money on blowing sprinklers due to my poor scheduling.
i still did every system the right way and swallowed my losses like a professional.

Dr Miller was one of my all time favorites.