PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Witch XT1600

raschmid07
11-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey guys, what's the story on the XT1600? Has anybody either demoed or bought one? I've seen a bunch of adds for them in Compact Equipment and Lawn and Landscape, but not in person yet? Also, does anybody have any more pictures of the machine? The website doesn't have a whole lot to offer in the pictures category.

Dirty Water
11-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Theres a guy on here that had a XT850 for his rental company. He said he had a lot of trouble with it blowing hydraulic lines.

I run a lot of ditchwitches and they are mostly troublefree machines. I'd attribute it to being a brand new machine.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
11-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm the one that has the xt850, it is for sale if you would like to buy it. It has just under 400 hrs.

It is a great concept for a machine, 26 hp offset excavator, and loader. But, I have had a lot of problems with it. When I first bought it it blew about 4 hoses within a week, they were not crimped properly on the ends, the front cylinder and the stops didn't match up and the front cylinder was replaced 3 times, the front bracket had no penetration on the welds and broke off, plus it was only welded on one side, it has since had approx. 6-7 more hoses to blow, when a hose blows on it it is not a simple thing to change.
I have had to ruin a whole set of wrenches to work on it ( heat with torch and bend into crazy shapes, cut off ends and weld handles on to them).
On average when a hose blows it takes about 2 1/2 hours to replace, the reason being that there is just simply to much stuff packed into too small of an area, this is why most of the hoses lately have blown, they are rubbing against each other in side the machine, I have only had one hose outside the machine get snagged by a customer and break.
The hood will not stay closed and I am on my second latch, I gave up on that and padlocked it, I had to replace a track idler at 315 hrs, currently the switch has gone bad, the overflow for the radiator is cracked, and the hyd resesovoir leaks around the plug.
Oh, I almost forgot they hyd pump belt broke at around 20 hrs.

I have always been happy with Ditch Witch products and my dealer and sales rep are great, and this machine could be a great thing, if it was about 6 inches longer to accomodate the (guts) better and give better access for working on it. When it isn't blowing hoses it is awesome.

I saw a XT1600, my rep had on a trailer that he was showing, It appears to have the hoses routed better and much more room to access it for repairs. It has a fiberglass hood with rubber straps,( like a international truck) instead of a metal hood and sorry little latch. It weighs close to 9,000 lbs and it can dig along side of a 310 JD. The front end is much beefier than than the Xt850.
I would definately wait a year or 2 to let someone else find the problems with it, plus I think it is over $60,000 currently, it will come down.

Meanwhile I have an XT850 for sale, low hours, 26hp, come on down an buy it.

Dirty Water
11-04-2006, 05:17 PM
The ditchwitches I have also require custom wrenches :laugh:. I've cut a lot in half to get them in tight spots.

There has always been at least one trouble issue that never gets resolved on our ditchwitch machines. On our 410 plow, its electrical problems, on our 3500 trencher its the trencher drive bearings that chew up every 200 hours.

Overall DW is a good company and makes good equipment and has good support, and we will keep buying them, Just never buy first year stuff.

Dirty Water
11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Here is some footage of the Xt1600 working.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/OnTheJob/media.jsp?mf=xt1600&title=XT1600&speed=100

I'm curious to the control system for the tracks. Is it pilots like a CTL or is like an exacavator with foot controls?

Fieldman12
11-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Looks cool and I thing it would be real handy when they get all the bugs worked out. Kind of reminds me of the 931C Cat crawler loader I use to run that had the backhoe attachement on the back.

PROFESSORRAIN
11-04-2006, 10:11 PM
looks good is right any idea on $?.What about the boxer brand mini w/ret. tracks has 50 something att.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Just over $60,000 for the XT1600, 36,000 for the XT850. Both have pilot controls, there is a switch on the panel that you flip to change between the front end and the excavator. You use the same sticks for both.

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Just over $60,000 for the XT1600, 36,000 for the XT850. Both have pilot controls, there is a switch on the panel that you flip to change between the front end and the excavator. You use the same sticks for both.

I'm guessing the sticks rotate with the seat so you can run the travel controls when facing backwards and digging with the hoe?

One of my biggest petpeeves with backhoes is the ones that require you to get out of the seat to change from loader to hoe.