PDA

View Full Version : Public information........please help!

tthomass
11-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm bidding on a job for the county I live in.

The GOOD: there's only 2 bids, I'm one of them

Now.......the company I am up against was awarded the job last year. Being that it is a public bid and public information how can I find out how much the contract was for last year?

I really need to seal this deal and is a big opportunity for my company. I would like to see where my bid falls in comparison to last years contract and well......undercut them if possible but my bid is not yet prepared.

I'm assuming go to a government center or town hall and just ask? After all it's public information.

tthomass
11-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I spent over and hour last night using google and yahoo........I got warm but never found the price paid out.

Runner
11-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Contact whatever municipality it was. Somtimes, if it is a large city of something, you have to dig through some red tape to find it. This sometimes involves applying through the freedom of information act.

Green-Pro
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Likely will depend on the scope and level of government involved. I was speaking to the contract guy at one of the places we take care of (Federal govt.) I cant say for certain he is correct but would tend to believe he is by virtue of his handling the contracts. Anyway we were shooting the bull the other day and I was curious about this myself, he told me they are not allowed to divulge any contract details to persons/companies other than the one it directly pertains to.

On a side note its often easy enough to find out how much another company charges for maintenance. Seems most (not all) can't keep their mouths shut about what they are making per contract. i.e. loose lips sink ships.

As Runner said though if dealing with a local municipality you may only need to apply through the freedom of information act.

jpnose
11-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Try Demandstar.com, I want the same info. i came across a friend that works for my county and i was able to get a free subscrition to that site. i will be using it this year , supposed to tell last years bid, we will see.