PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing a house

BSME
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Sprinklerguy... can you give me some tips?

A good customer of mine moved accross town. His old house isn't selling anytime soon.

I've never done it before... anything I should know? How does your pricing work?

BSME
11-04-2006, 09:44 PM
or anyone else who isn't sprinklerguy who may have experience/advice

Wet_Boots
11-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd stick to using a truck-mount reciprocating compressor for this job, or be dead sure you aren't ever blowing oil with your tow-behind. Same lower pressure setting of about 50-60 psi

Is the heating also going to be shut down? There can be potential problems with condensation in some homes if the heat gets shut down, with mold and mildew following.

BSME
11-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks wetboots...

I do have an old truck mount but I never took it out of the back of the garage for this winterizing season. It'd be a pain to get it all set up to do one house. Is there anyway to make sure I'm not blowing any oil? It's a pretty new compressor. blow it against the concrete for a while to see it anything builds up?

I don't know about the heat. I'm assuming it'll be turned off since he wants to winterize the pipes. What if he turns the heat down real low? It's not my place to worry about the mold part though since I'm only the sprinkler guy.

Jason Rose
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I would thing this is a HUGE liability for a sprinkler guy to be blowing out and winterizing a HOUSE.

Fairly easy though as the pipes are small you could get by with just a garage compressor really. RV antifreeze in the toilet bowls and tanks. Don't forget to shut off and drain the water heater and check for R/O system under the sink. Can you blow out from where the water comes into the house? If not there's going to be some section there that will still have water in it. May need heat tape on the main line coming into the home just to be safe.

Golf course I worked at has bath houses at the swimming pool. They winterize them just like this each year, no heat at all in those buildings, and they have showers, sinks, and toilets.

Wet_Boots
11-05-2006, 10:44 AM
You're probably okay with a newer compressor. Someone here had noticed his tow-behind spitting oil sometimes, and that sort of thing makes me favor a reciprocator over a rotary. Probably no problem with low heat, as opposed to no heat. See what local real estate folks think. Once a home has been lived in, it contains a level of humidity that's higher than a never-lived-in structure, and that's what can condense on cold surfaces.