PDA

View Full Version : How Long Until You Made Money?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
11-04-2006, 09:51 PM
There have been quite a few threads recently about how much money someone is making, can I make enough money, etc. I was thinking that it may be useful information to take a different approach and to do a poll to help these folks out. I believe that the true question is "Can one make a living doing this?" and then the next would be "O.k. now what do I have to do?" and then "How long will it take me?" The answer to the first question: Yes, you can make a good living doing this. The answer to the second question is: Education, and then work at it. The third, I was thinking that we could do a poll to give an average.

sildoc
11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Money? Whats that. I am still waiting to make money.
However, The truck, cell phone, house, property, equiptment, trailer, 4 wheeler, and many other things are written off. I make a meager wage that allows me to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
11-05-2006, 07:49 PM
From the response to the poll is seems that most folks (almost 60%) were making money within the first two years of business.

I will be honest and say that we are not really rolling in the money and we are finishing up our second year. We have tripled in sales since last year, and customer service was a key factor this year. On paper it all looks good, but expenses increased as well. I do feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I mean the bills are paid, and there is some money left over, but nothing to write home about.

Hats off to those that did it within the first couple of years. I am guessing that we will start making decent money (What we keep) within the next couple of years. Right now we are investing most of what we make back in to the company.

wowmowwow
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
5 yrs worth of mowing part time and the early years were the good life becuase i pocketed all the money. now my dream has come true with the no bells no whistles 2006 v6 fullsize truck, a 2006 56" zero turn and now im waiting on my paycheck. going fulltime in 2007. thanks

DodgeTruckMan731
11-09-2006, 10:27 PM
How much money does it take before your making money?

sildoc
11-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Being in the black and not the red. so .01 is making money. Making a living is another thing.

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Can you make a living doing this: Yes
Now, what do you have to do: If you are going to do what everyone else is doing, you better do it better or with a different slant or approach that makes you more desirable for one reason or another. For me, I looked at the market I wanted to enter....asked alot of questions ( from alot of guys in here) and found a section of that market where there was a void......so, I set myself up to fill that void or niche market and focused on strictly that.
Within 6 months, I was rolling and to date I have so much work I have a hard time meeting the demand. One of my cardinal rules though, is when I start a job I stay there until I am finished, I show up at the appointed time and if by chance I can't I call and stay in communication. It is Nov and I am booked up through December and we could work 7 days a week if we wanted.
I am making more than "just a living". I am getting bigger by staying small, flexible and mobil. I could not be more pleased.

jsf343
11-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Can you make a living doing this: Yes
Now, what do you have to do: If you are going to do what everyone else is doing, you better do it better or with a different slant or approach that makes you more desirable for one reason or another. For me, I looked at the market I wanted to enter....asked alot of questions ( from alot of guys in here) and found a section of that market where there was a void......so, I set myself up to fill that void or niche market and focused on strictly that.
Within 6 months, I was rolling and to date I have so much work I have a hard time meeting the demand. One of my cardinal rules though, is when I start a job I stay there until I am finished, I show up at the appointed time and if by chance I can't I call and stay in communication. It is Nov and I am booked up through December and we could work 7 days a week if we wanted.
I am making more than "just a living". I am getting bigger by staying small, flexible and mobil. I could not be more pleased.

Good for you! I am glad to hear someone is doing well. Any other secrets or advice you want to throw out? I like to hear and learn from those who are successful. You can learn a lot from those who are not as well. Right now I am having mixed results. Hope to do better next year.

noseha
11-10-2006, 06:56 AM
I buy too much equipment to make money.

J&R Landscaping
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
From the response to the poll is seems that most folks (almost 60%) were making money within the first two years of business.

I will be honest and say that we are not really rolling in the money and we are finishing up our second year. We have tripled in sales since last year, and customer service was a key factor this year. On paper it all looks good, but expenses increased as well. I do feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I mean the bills are paid, and there is some money left over, but nothing to write home about.

Hats off to those that did it within the first couple of years. I am guessing that we will start making decent money (What we keep) within the next couple of years. Right now we are investing most of what we make back in to the company.

Ins't that a big key thing you have to do? You have to invest a lot into a business to get good turn around! You have to spend some cash to make some cash, (keyword being some and not everything) JMO

jazak
11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
How about in 2 months?:cool2: :weightlifter: :cool2:

topsites
11-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Making money is against the law and if the bank spots your money as being counterfeit, they will first seize it and then you may face difficult questions.

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2006, 06:16 PM
JSF......You asked for some thoughts. I set rock and do finish grading. Rock retaining walls, porch wraps, planters, slab stairs, slab patios.
I looked around and saw guys buying all sorts of equipment, big trucks and putting together large crews wanting to do sub-divisions and "big jobs". I noticed that no one was doing the smaller jobs ( ie: what I identified as 1 to 5 load jobs of rock setting). So that was my target market......I just do the "hit and git" jobs. I charge premium prices and do the highest quality work I can. I do Japanese rock gardens and for alot of my jobs, I hand pick the rock from the quarry. I have read and still do read as much as I can about the subject, have a photo album that I show potential clients, I ask and get written referals from my clients ( I ask at the end of the job if they are satisfied, and if so, would they take the time right now to write something down for me) and usually they do. I keep my equipment spotless, wear company t-shirts and bright blue jackets with embroidery on the back. I try and create "perceived value".
One of the other things I did when I stumbled onto lawnsite.com is read for hours until I found a handful of folks who I thought would be good mentors. I then read each and every one of their threads and posts.....this took a huge amount of time. Then, I narrowed the list of potential mentors down further and telephoned them and asked questions......I still do that and have found it most beneficial.
That's a few more of the steps I have taken, not to mention working wherever and whenever I was called to do a job. My attitude has been "YES" even if I was moving into uncharted waters.

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Another thing I did was get rid of some of the equipment that I was not using alot. I figured out which produced the highest net profit to me and dumped the rest. For instance, I do not own a skid steer. Why? Everyone around here has one, from the newbie to the seasoned pro and if I need one, I just sub it or borrow or rent one of theirs. If I was to buy one ( and I see that coming) it will be a used one and I will probably buy it in January in the dead of winter here when most of the newbie's can't make their payments and are losing their equipment back to the dealer......it happens every winter here around Jan or Feb.....so that's when I look to buy something.
I am also big into preventative maintenance on my dump truck or track hoe.....if it starts to go bad or looks like it, I replace it now vs. waiting until it breaks creating unbillable downtime. I try and do most of my own repairs during the nights and weekends......

desert rose gardening
11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
We have been a profit for a number of years. But I think I will go down to the Kinkos tomorrow and start making some!

J Hisch
11-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I personally dont consider a business making money by the owner just getting a check every week. Alot of business owners think becasue they take money from their business or a paycheck they are making money. My pay check and my employees are payroll expenses. But after all expenses and including my payroll check, after about the third year we started showing strong profit and have money in the bank to be self financed.

YardPro
11-12-2006, 12:52 PM
I personally dont consider a business making money by the owner just getting a check every week. Alot of business owners think becasue they take money from their business or a paycheck they are making money. My pay check and my employees are payroll expenses. But after all expenses and including my payroll check, after about the third year we started showing strong profit and have money in the bank to be self financed.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

I see that there are a lot of people that do not understand the difference thier personal income and business profit....

this is why there are a llot of LCO's that do not succeed. There is a big difference in being a good LCO and a good business person. This is one of the big differences.

i saw someone post here that the first years doing this part time they kept 100% of thier money....NOT...
there was still overhead involved. There was fuel, equipment etc... They just paid it with thier personal income instead of having the business pay for it.

LawnGuy73
11-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Almost 8 years and still waiting to make money.

Grass Kickin
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
The truck, cell phone, house, property, equiptment, trailer, 4 wheeler, and many other things are written off. I make a meager wage that allows me to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

I would guess that most of us will fall into the above category. Few will get rich but I guess we do it because we love the sense of accomplishment and being outdoors.

I've owned my business for a while and do not suplement it with my personal money. That said, the business pays for all of my personal bills, call that a salary I guess. lol, with a little left over for the bank and taxman.

KS_Grasscutter
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I used to make money, but that was last year when I was running a 30inch Dixon over 5 lawns a week. Now with twice that many accts, and $6200 worth of new equipment, I just aint comming out ahead. For next season, I am planning on getting a flatbed worktruck, (like a 84 for $1500), and thats it. I figgure if that is all I buy next season, and expand like I want to, I will easily be making money by about July.

elmo1537
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM

How much stuff do you want to buy. I could have made money on my first thousand dollars but instead of pocketing that money I put it back into the business. Now I own well over 100000 in equip and I am making a living not just making a little money.