PDA

View Full Version : GEHL Joystick oder T-Bar steering

lamster
11-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I will chance my "old" GEHL 5640 because the tires are near down,

now iīm not sure witch i should take,
I want the gehl 6640
but have someone experience with the new "Joystick-steering" of the loaders ?

or should I stay at the old T-Bar style ?

thanks for any input

ksss
11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
That is probably a question only you can answer. The Tbar controls seem like a license for carpul tunnel syndrome to me. I would think resale and less fatigue would favor the conventional hand controls. I have never run the Gehl Pilot controls so I have no idea how good they are. If you can get an example of both and demo them and decide from there, that would probably be the best. Remember when comparing things such as different control systems. Try not to confuse familiarity with comfort. Run the conventional hand control system long enough that you can fairly evaluate it. Coming from a Tbar it may take a little time to become adjusted to the conventional hand control pattern and feel.

RockSet N' Grade
11-05-2006, 08:56 PM
I ran the Gehl and Takahoochi skids this year. I have tennis elbow in my right arm, so I protect it as best I can. I ran both styles of controls.....and within a few hours, I knew pilots were the only way to go for me. No pain in my arms with the pilots at the end of the day, pretty good feel and way easy to operate. I shy away from anything but pilots now.

lamster
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I ran the Gehl and Takahoochi skids this year. I have tennis elbow in my right arm, so I protect it as best I can. I ran both styles of controls.....and within a few hours, I knew pilots were the only way to go for me. No pain in my arms with the pilots at the end of the day, pretty good feel and way easy to operate. I shy away from anything but pilots now.

i run lasttime a cat-skid,
but I have some trouble with the joystick-steering because
wenn you turn on the place, the left weels will not turn into the other direction like the other side, so itīs not so easy to turn on the place

the new gehl, have at the left a T-Bar and on the right (bucket) o joystick,
I will take this skid,
because I have a second one (smaller) and he also have the t-bar
the new gehl-skidloader have servocontrolled bars,
but you are right, when you drive it all the day, itīs not the best vor the arms

Scag48
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Cat skids will counter-rotate just like any other machine (yank 'em sticks or T-bar), you just have to know how to do it.

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I'd like to point out that if your counter rotating you should rethink your skid steer operating philosophy.

Its hard on the machine, the tires and the ground. You can do a 3 point turn in roughly the same amount of time.

Scag48
11-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Absolutely, but the point I was trying to make is that the machine will physically do it if need be. Sometimes I counter-rotate, but only maybe 45 degrees or so. I don't think I've ever done a full 180 degree turn counter-rotating, I cringe at the thought of the drive chains be stressed like that.