PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Blocks & Capstones

westernmdlawn
11-05-2006, 12:39 PM
I just bought a new Stihl TS400 saw. Is there any reason why you would not want to hook up a hose for water supply to the saw when you are cutting concrete blocks and caps for retaining walls? From what I understand - it keeps the cancerous dust clouds down, and makes the blade last longer, right? I know I may not always have access to a water supply but while I do I should use it right (for concrete anyway)?

Is there anything else to know about this saw? It seems to be really nice. I use Stihl products exclusively and am very satisfied with all the other stuff I have so that is why I got the saw. There stuff seems to be bullet proof. Except for the weed eater that got ran over by the bobcat! :cry:

forestfireguy
11-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Keep a spare air filter and pre-filter handy. It will become clogged sooner than you think. As far as the water kit, use it whenever possible. We score the cut dry and finish through with the water on.

westernmdlawn
11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the advice - thats a great idea to score first, then cut later with water.

DVS Hardscaper
11-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I see you're in MD.

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with a source for good quality blades delivered to your door step.

zedosix
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I have 2 stihl 400's at the present time. We cut dry most of the time but have used the water connection once or twice. When I will purchase my next saw it won't be a stihl. Clog to fast and they are a pita to start.