PDA

View Full Version : leaf removal

lawnboysmfs
11-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Im new to this but would like to try and make a little money at it.Where do I start? I have backpack blowers and they seem to do a fair job of pilleing the leaves now what is the best way and most afordable way to get them in the truck to haul them away?

mosmgras
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Best: 16 hp (or larger) leaf loader
Affordable: rake and tarp

B&J
11-07-2006, 05:30 PM
We use a gas powered vaccum attached to a garbage can the vaccum sucks the leaves and mulches them then deposits the mulch in the garbage can.
The attachment and the vaccum can be bought at any Home Depot.:cool2:

lawnboysmfs
11-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I dont understand the tarp thing can someone explain.Maby lay out a large tarp blow the leaves on the tarp then try to poor them into a truck bed or somthing? sounded silly at first but the more i think about it the better it sounds not a bad way for the entry level leaf collector like myself.

TURFLORD
11-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Tarps are for losers. And before you know it, you'll be hooking a chain to the truck to pull a stump and sharpening your blades with a belt sander. Go to Depot, spend $45 on a green barrel, put leaves in barrel, put barrel in truck. Lets do some math here. First, why use a tarp? Is it because you can get alot more on a tarp than a barrel? I can pack a barrel to no end and it will weigh about 50 lbs. It's safe to surmise that a loaded tarp will weigh 100-150 lbs. Just how does one lift this into a pickup, much less a rack truck? What about narrow gates? What about not grinding the grass at a time of near when it won't grow back? A green barrel fits all circumstances and doesn't cause damage. You either have the muscle for this job or you don't.:weightlifter:

jbell113
11-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Tarps are for losers. And before you know it, you'll be hooking a chain to the truck to pull a stump and sharpening your blades with a belt sander. Go to Depot, spend $45 on a green barrel, put leaves in barrel, put barrel in truck. Lets do some math here. First, why use a tarp? Is it because you can get alot more on a tarp than a barrel? I can pack a barrel to no end and it will weigh about 50 lbs. It's safe to surmise that a loaded tarp will weigh 100-150 lbs. Just how does one lift this into a pickup, much less a rack truck? What about narrow gates? What about not grinding the grass at a time of near when it won't grow back? A green barrel fits all circumstances and doesn't cause damage. You either have the muscle for this job or you don't.:weightlifter:

I guess Im a loser then but I can move a lot more leaves and grass with a tarp than a little green barrel especially if you got to walk a couple of hundred feet. Barrels are for monkeys....

Runner
11-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Darn! I've been doing it wrong all these years? Hmmm...It seems that I can get 50 lbs. of leaves on a tarp WAY faster than ANYone can get 50 lbs. of leaves in a barrel. Guaranteed......

noseha
11-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Darn! I've been doing it wrong all these years? Hmmm...It seems that I can get 50 lbs. of leaves on a tarp WAY faster than ANYone can get 50 lbs. of leaves in a barrel. Guaranteed......

what have I been thinking all these years(15 years). I can make 20 trips with a pile or 5 trips with a tarp. a pile does have a spot in the spring with wet leaves because they rip the bottom out of tarps and just to heavy.

dennys-lawn
11-13-2006, 01:51 AM
We Mulch With Mower And Pull Behind Lawn Sweeper ($199.00). We Can Service More Yards With Fewer Trips To Dump. Mulching Breaks Down Leaves So They Pack Easier.

crzymow
11-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Tarp then leaf loader, maybe a pusher if the pile its close enough to the truck

lawnpro724
11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, tarp for sure. Tarps make leaves much easier been using them for over 15yrs. We use backpack blowers and blow leaves into a pile on tarp then haul them over to burn pile and burn them. If a customer doesn't want burning then we use tarps to haul leaves over to truck and use a commercial vac to suck up the pile straight into the truck, mulch is much easier to take away than leaves.

rockandroller
11-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Mulch mulch, mulch...Then blow the crumbs. Harder on my equiptment, but easier on my back. No complaints, and a one time free fertilizer..

nysuz
12-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I run through with a mower after blowing out the beds, quick blow and use tarps. Gather a bunch of little ones. Smush and burrito the tarps, piece of cake. Buckets are for the little stuff, window wells and the heavy stuff, nuts, maple seeds etc.