PDA

View Full Version : New Gravely Tractor Pics...

mkwl
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Here's some pics of my new (to me) 1977 Gravely 817 Tractor. It has a 4 speed gear tranny with hi and low ranges, forward and reverse, and hydraulic lift for snowblower on front of tractor. It has a front and mid tractor PTO. It has a 16.5 HP Onan twin cylinder engine...powerful! It came with the following attatchments for the tractor; 44" snowblower, 4x5' garden cart, 50" York rake, tire chains, and tire weights. This tractors new nickname is "The Beast"...it weighs 995 Lbs!!! You can't buy a tractor like this anymore...everything on it is cast iorn...built Gravely Tough! I also got a 1975 Troy Bilt 6HP rototiller, a Echo string trimmer, and a Mantis tiller out of the deal...they'll be my winter projects to get them running again.

I just got my new Gravely back from the dealer (sent it in for service and a carb rebuild to get it running again (runs great now!!!), and I thought I'd share a few pics! It has a distinct sound...sounds like a tractor, not a mower!

I'll probably take it to our estate Upstate, and use it to clear the snow off our 2 mile long driveway this winter!

Here's the pics...what do you think...:weightlifter:

bjlawnman
11-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I like it. My grandfather has one of those he uses to mow his 2 acre piece of land. Man that thing is a beast. They really dont' make them like they did back then. If i'm right i don't think they even make those anymore..

mkwl
11-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks...I believe Gravely stopped making these tractors in the mid '80's...keep the comments coming!

mike lane lawn care
11-05-2006, 10:41 PM
they stopped making gravely, our school has two they use it to mow 4 soccer fields and a big field, they are hard to kill, and give a nice even cut. The one they use for the field, has a side wing mower attachment, i'd love the chance to use the simplicity with the rollers on the main soccer field.

Idealtim
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I love it! Reminds me of my ford...

mkwl
11-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys!:usflag:

BSDeality
11-07-2006, 12:35 AM
that gravely is certainly in nice shape. I discovered one of those in my customers garages one day when I was doing her a favor. Its been there for 10+ years sitting. I was tempted to ask if they wanted it "disposed of" along with a 10HP go-kart. Figured they would make nice winter projects.

Bigblue250
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Nice old Gravely, now you need to find a front drive kit for it. Get that and you can use any Gravely attachment ever made.

mkwl
11-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Nice old Gravely, now you need to find a front drive kit for it. Get that and you can use any Gravely attachment ever made.

Thanks, it already has the front PTO setup on it...what I need to find is an adapter to run the attatchments made for walk tractors on this tractor!

J&R Landscaping
11-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Here's some pics of my new (to me) 1977 Gravely 817 Tractor. It has a 4 speed gear tranny with hi and low ranges, forward and reverse, and hydraulic lift for snowblower on front of tractor. It has a front and mid tractor PTO. It has a 16.5 HP Onan twin cylinder engine...powerful! It came with the following attatchments for the tractor; 44" snowblower, 4x5' garden cart, 50" York rake, tire chains, and tire weights. This tractors new nickname is "The Beast"...it weighs 995 Lbs!!! You can't buy a tractor like this anymore...everything on it is cast iorn...built Gravely Tough! I also got a 1975 Troy Bilt 6HP rototiller, a Echo string trimmer, and a Mantis tiller out of the deal...they'll be my winter projects to get them running again.

I just got my new Gravely back from the dealer (sent it in for service and a carb rebuild to get it running again (runs great now!!!), and I thought I'd share a few pics! It has a distinct sound...sounds like a tractor, not a mower!

I'll probably take it to our estate Upstate, and use it to clear the snow off our 2 mile long driveway this winter!

Here's the pics...what do you think...:weightlifter:

The tractor looks nice. Them onan engines are really nice units and fairly easy to work on.

I aint tryin to be a smart a$$ or bust on you but according to your website, it says you repair mowers and such. Now if this is true, why would you send out this machine to get the carb re-built? I haven't done many carb rebuilds (prolly like 25 so far) but I certainly would save the moeny and just buy the $10 or $20 kit and save the $40 or whatever on labor. Hardest part about them is trying to get the rusty or oxidated welch plugs out IMO.

mkwl
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
The tractor looks nice. Them onan engines are really nice units and fairly easy to work on.

I aint tryin to be a smart a$$ or bust on you but according to your website, it says you repair mowers and such. Now if this is true, why would you send out this machine to get the carb re-built? I haven't done many carb rebuilds (prolly like 25 so far) but I certainly would save the moeny and just buy the $10 or $20 kit and save the $40 or whatever on labor. Hardest part about them is trying to get the rusty or oxidated welch plugs out IMO.

Well, I do more service along the lines of oil change, new plug, sharpen blades, air filter etc. on engines that already run. This tractor didn't run when I got it, so I sent it off to the dealer to get it runnung again. I haven't really tried my hand at rebuilding carbs, and I wanted to get this tractor up and running. I will do a carb rebuild myself on the rototiller I got, this winter.

mkwl
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Here's a pic of the Onan twin cylinder 16HP engine and 8 speed manual transmission...this tractor is a BEAST! :weightlifter: