PDA

View Full Version : Words I didn't want to hear

bobw
11-06-2006, 09:20 AM
One of my customers is a custom home builder operating in very expensive neighbourhoods; and as such, has to have all his properties landscaped and irrigated before he sells them.

At the start of this season, he mentioned that he'd have 2 houses ready this summer for me to do for him.... except that he ran late..real late... past the end of the season late. Doesn't bother me much, that revenue will be there in the spring, no big deal.

Except.... he calls me the other day and tells me that they landscaped the yards and they just ran pipe to where they thought I would want it and I can just head it in the spring. YIKES!!!! They can barely put the sod down right side up and now they dig pipe in where they THINK I will want it.....

I suspect next season starts with a couple of headaches....

WalkGood
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I suspect next season starts with a couple of headaches....

So? Headache remedies cost money. Charge accordingly.

If you were asked to "bring up to snuff" an existing system, it might actually cost MORE than if you install all brand new materials of your own. Treat this job as an existing system that does not work.

If pipe is not in the right spot or is the wrong size, you charge to fix it. Since you did not install the existing pipe, there is no warranty for that pipe.

Seems like it is a Time & Materials job now, with a minimum charge. It's not being mean or vindictive. There are a lot of unknowns and materials you have no control over it's quality. Just charge your rate and for parts. Get the guy to signoff on that first.

bobw
11-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Oh, no doubt about it being T&M and what not, but truth be known, I have more work than I can do in a season, and I make more money on a fixed price quote than I do on T&M. Maybe its a bit of a luxury to be able to turn work away, but realistically, I turn down lots of stuff I don't feel like doing. However, I will do whatever it takes to keep existing customers, they are the backbone of my business and they are where the future of my business is too; as much as this will be T&M and everything else, I would never do this for a new customer; as an existing customer, I will grin and get over it....

So? Headache remedies cost money. Charge accordingly.

If you were asked to "bring up to snuff" an existing system, it might actually cost MORE than if you install all brand new materials of your own. Treat this job as an existing system that does not work.

If pipe is not in the right spot or is the wrong size, you charge to fix it. Since you did not install the existing pipe, there is no warranty for that pipe.

Seems like it is a Time & Materials job now, with a minimum charge. It's not being mean or vindictive. There are a lot of unknowns and materials you have no control over it's quality. Just charge your rate and for parts. Get the guy to signoff on that first.