PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 underground wires

silvercvic
11-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Basically I ran out of wire, going from my back zone to my controller, about 25ft. What do you recommend on connecting additional wire used for buried outdoor use?

Wet_Boots
11-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Buy a new length of wire that won't need to be spliced. Or buy a verysmall valve box to locate a splice in. If you have to ask on the internet, you don't have the skill or experience to do an underground waterproof splice you can bury and forget.

treedoc1
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Twist the wires together with the wirenut, plunge into the sealant, cap the plastic tube lid. No mystery...no problems

silvercvic
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I found some connectors that already has some weatherproofing (cap with epoxy) for direct bury wires

Thanks for the info

MarcSmith
11-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Twist the wires together with the wirenut, plunge into the sealant, cap the plastic tube lid. No mystery...no problems

I used that kind of logic on some wires, albeit they were 110v. they lasted about 2 years before I had to dig and redo it....

if yanted to be very certain of not having any issues and not havingto use a valve box. drill a hole in a two PVC caps, just beig enough for the wire to pas through. splice the wires using the goey splice caps. then pvc cement the two caps together and silicone up the ends of the caps were the wires pass through.

Hilibilly rig at its finest....

At the very least if it ever fails, the person who makes teh repair will be gauranteed one helluva laugh

DeepRoots
11-06-2006, 08:00 PM
does anyone here use a buttsplice kit?

Mjtrole
11-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I used that kind of logic on some wires, albeit they were 110v. they lasted about 2 years before I had to dig and redo it....

if yanted to be very certain of not having any issues and not havingto use a valve box. drill a hole in a two PVC caps, just beig enough for the wire to pas through. splice the wires using the goey splice caps. then pvc cement the two caps together and silicone up the ends of the caps were the wires pass through.

Hilibilly rig at its finest....

At the very least if it ever fails, the person who makes teh repair will be gauranteed one helluva laugh

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8521/heatshrinkue9.jpg

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I use buttsplice kits when we snag a 110 line. Home Depot sells one that has a 4 conductor splice unit (Strip wire ends, insert into splice, screw down set screw) and comes with a length of heat shrink tubing that has heat activated sealant.

On irrigation wire I use GelCaps (very similar to DBY connectors) and a wirenut. I always throw a splice into a 6" valve box.

DBY Connectors:

http://www.paigewire.com/images/Db2.jpg

MarcSmith
11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
to my defense, I never have done that kind of "hillbilly repair" in my case, I had to dig up my patio for an unrelated water pipe break so I just reisntalled the 50 foot of Db wire from the house to the Coach lamp....at that point in time.....

PurpHaze
11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
We use the 3M DBY or DBR connectors in the ground. Sometimes use Dry Connects in the boxes when there's not a lot of excess wire.

Wet_Boots
11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
A low voltage splice will be even more susceptible to degradation, since the circuit doesn't have the voltage to 'arc over' a gap. A control cable isn't supposed to be run over a hundred feet or so without some slack, and hopefully, this one will be laid loosely in the trench. If I had to bury a splice here, I'd get the proper size of wire nuts (choosing the smallest size the connection is rated for) and 'pot' the completed splice in silicone sealant. I've used those 3M 'wire-nut-splices in an envelope of fast-set epoxy' connection sets, as well, on 120V wires, and no callbacks on them

londonrain
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
We buy 3M DBY's Bulk.