PDA

View Full Version : receiving payments

UNCFan
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I have been visiting Lawnsite for the last year and enjoy the information that is shared...so I decided to join today. I have read TONS of information on "how to" marketing, flyers, how to generate new business, etc. BUT I haven't seen anything on collecting payments. Is anyone using visa/mc as a form of receiving payments? Billing monthly / weekly?

Your input will be greatly appreciated,

MowJoeLandscaping
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
yes, i am a visa/mc merchant and it allows me to charge the prices i want beacuse now the customer can use thier card! and it's not too expensive

Roger
11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
... it allows me to charge the prices i want beacuse now the customer can use thier card! and it's not too expensive

Say what?

How does the use of credit cards by the customer allow you to "charge the prices I want ...?"

jsf343
11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Use a good software to track everything, like quickbooks, groundskeeper, or any of the other good ones. They will help you to design an invoice. Heck you don't even need anything that fancy. Some people use excel. I used to use Word in the old days. Point is it will allow you to print out on your invoice at the end of the month what people owe you. I wouldn't do it weekly because you will drown in paperwork. You want to keep things as simple as possible, and still be able to track your costs and earnings. hope that helps you.

HOOLIE
11-07-2006, 01:31 AM
There are actually a ton of threads on the topic you're looking for. Do a search on keywords like "next day credit cards" for one or just "credit cards" and should be lots of good stuff to read.

Credit cards are nice...they allow you to control WHEN you get paid. No more waiting on the proverbial check in the mail.

UNCFan
11-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the input! I will do a search on the key word suggestion and see what comes up.

mad_wrestler
11-07-2006, 08:08 AM
I use quickbooks Pro 06 for my accounts managemant. Not all of my clients like using the internet so I do have some die hard paper recipients. Most however enjoy recieving thier invoices via the internet. We accept also payment through PayPal. It has worked great for us. At first I didn't like the fees, but it ends up being less than the cost of tracking down payment. You know, gas and TIME!

ribbie78
01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
mad-wrestler;
what kind of fees with paypal? are they monthly fees or per sent/received transaction? Thanks.

also- did you have to register a business account or can you simply use the account you use for ebay and similar online purchases where it is going to your your bank acct. via email.....

rob

mad_wrestler
01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Fees are per transaction. Very worth it in my opinion. About 2.99% per transaction. You can use your existing account. However, you should have the funds deposted in a business account. You don't want to get messes up with comingling your funds. Business and personal. If there is anything else, just ask. This site is great and owe a lot of my success to everybody here!

topsites
02-11-2007, 01:40 PM
How does the use of credit cards by the customer allow you to "charge the prices I want ...?"

I think it's because it gives him that little extra leverage some of us need.
I do it, too (use a little leverage, that is)...

For me, paid advertising and taxes give me all the leverage I need.
Paid advertising creates the demand, and taxes leave me no other choice.

I assume the credit card payment option gives the leverage of convenience, or something along those lines.

oh btw, Payment is due when services are rendered.
So, leave a bill or collect if they're home.
Yes, right then and there, soon as I'm done (so I don't forget).

Vikings
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Just had the washing machine fixed, I paid by visa and watched closely.

He just wrote visa number and exp. date on the reciept and I signed.

He had no machine, so I'm guessing he will do it online somehow when he gets back to his shop?

I'm asking because I'm going the visa route, online this year as well.

Duekster
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Just had the washing machine fixed, I paid by visa and watched closely.

He just wrote visa number and exp. date on the reciept and I signed.

He had no machine, so I'm guessing he will do it online somehow when he gets back to his shop?

I'm asking because I'm going the visa route, online this year as well.

Notta big nextel fan but they have card readers on them.

ECS
02-11-2007, 08:51 PM
yes, i am a visa/mc merchant and it allows me to charge the prices i want beacuse now the customer can use thier card! and it's not too expensive
How is not too expensive? A $50 lawn is $50 no matter how you look at it.

Roger
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
How is not too expensive? A $50 lawn is $50 no matter how you look at it.

I agree.

This was may point in a previous post, in response to a statement about "charging whatever I want." I don't get it. Why is payment method a factor in determining a price to charge? Yes, there are processing fees, but typically the explanation is "it is worth it to get paid easily and quickly." And, then a post talked about "having leverage" with cc payments. This is not an explanation either.

Somewhere the trail for payment options has taken a strange turn to justify an up-tick in pricing lawn care services. Did I miss the "turn in the road?"