PDA

View Full Version : Verticle lift machines versus Radial Lift

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 08:40 PM
The last Skid I ran was a New Holland LS190 with a verticle lift boom. I liked it, but it seemed that the arms when in mid position they blocked your view.

I haven't gotten enough hours on either style to know which one is better from a productivity standpoint, aside from operators preference.

What do you guys prefer, and why?

ksss
11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I have one of each and both shine in certain areas. I prefer the radial lift machines for fine grading and running a rock rake. I have better vision going backward with the radial lift. There is not as much steel in my sight lines. They are a little cheaper to purchase and fewer wear points. The vertical lift is nice for lifting heavy objects and truck loading. I have to be carefull not to throw material over the opposite side of the truck. Overall I prefer to run the radial lift machine for the majority of the work we do. However when you need to move a lot of material or load out material the vertical lift machine is worth the price.

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
I have one of each and both shine in certain areas. I prefer the radial lift machines for fine grading and running a rock rake. I have better vision going backward with the radial lift. There is not as much steel in my sight lines. They are a little cheaper to purchase and fewer wear points. The vertical lift is nice for lifting heavy objects and truck loading. I have to be carefull not to throw material over the opposite side of the truck. Overall I prefer to run the radial lift machine for the majority of the work we do. However when you need to move a lot of material or load out material the vertical lift machine is worth the price.

When running the radial lift machine on fine grading is it the better visibility of the bucket edge that you like?

I can see how the geometry of a verticle lift machine makes it better for loading trucks, as well as more stable.

SinjonAssociates
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM
The NH 190 runs an 84" bucket, I have a NH185.b which can run either an 84" or a 72" bucket. With the 72" bucket I have no problems with seeing the outside edge but I can see where an extra 6" would cause visability problems without having to lean forward.

George

ksss
11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
The visibility to the bucket cutting edge is the same in either machine. The radial lift just feels more nimble (that and it weighs 3K less) but with the better visibiity to the sides improved in the radial lift I think we do a better job on the fine grades with it. Every employee that I have had that could run a skid steer has always picked the radial machine to take on a grading job when given the option.

Scag48
11-07-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm not a fan of vertical lift machines, visibility is bad. Unless you need a machine to load trucks and heavy lifting, there is no reason to get a vertical lift machine. Radial lift machines grade much better, dig much better, are cheaper to buy and have less pivot points to maintain.

zedosix
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Tell me why the vertical lift machines dig better Scag. I have noticed the break out force on the t190 is quite low compared to some other brands.

zed

2109 Stang
12-26-2006, 01:37 PM
My machine is a vertical lift and its got great visibility on the back and sides ,I do know its a little to big for many jobs but digging is one of the best thing it does , grading if I have the room is as good as any radial lift machine ,loading trucks and moving lots of dirt is what this machine was made for, of course the size ,imho mustang came out with the best design on vertical lift , only if they integrate this design to the smaller machines am sure they will sale a lot more ,been the 2109 and 2099 the only vert lift that they have and this market is very limited .

Scag48
12-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Tell me why the vertical lift machines dig better Scag. I have noticed the break out force on the t190 is quite low compared to some other brands.

zed

You misread my post, I said radial lift machines dig better. Breakout force has nothing to do with radial vs. vertical lift.

zedosix
12-27-2006, 09:30 AM
You misread my post, I said radial lift machines dig better. Breakout force has nothing to do with radial vs. vertical lift.

Actually I just misread my reply, sorry.
I am interested in a veritical lift for its lifting power. Also need a machine that can dig quite well also. Are the vertical lift machines suited for digging. It will be digging clay and crushed stone for the installation of new interlock and asphalt driveways. The more I am reading on the whole subject of tracked loaders, leads me to think that they are going to be a pita. Frozen tracks, tears easier, clumsy ride. I will rethink my needs and try to find something that does all very well but at the same time isn't 7' wide. I was to put a down payment this week on a t190 but will wait til spring before I make a move I may very well regret. I noticed they have very little hydralic flow compared to others. I tried my buddies s185 last year and was dissapointed in its ability to push into a pile of crushed stone. My thomas 153 has more power than that. So until then I will continue to research and demo. I have the time now.

zed

ksss
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I have not been impressed with the S185s ability excavating either. if you want to go Bobcat I would move up to a S250 in vertical or a S220 in radial. I think as far as digging ability between a radial or vertical I don't think there is any difference. The reason I think radials have been considered an excavating machine is do to a simplicity of design and better visibility. A deciding factor for you will be what your lifting requirements are. If the weight is suitable for a radial lift machine I would go that way. It sounds like your doing more grading and excvating than truck loading or pallet work. If you look at a CASE machine the 435 is vertical and the 450 is radial (great digging machine). The 440 is similiar to the S220 in specs (radial as well). The 465 will give you both (vertical) but it is a big, heavy machine.

zedosix
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Big and heavy I need to stay away from. Often we are working on residential driveways that will remain. Like when we do front walkways only. So the tracked machines will make the least damage of all. I looked at the case today and the cat and gehl. They are all significantly larger in size than what I need. Very nice machines especially the cat. I am meeting with a kubota salesman today, just to go over my needs. He is also a good friend of mine so will steer me in the right direction.

thanks for the input

zed

bobcatboy
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
I think you should get the biggest machine you can afford. If you are on sensitive surfaces go rent a smaller machine. It is cheaper to rent smaller than to rent bigger