PDA

View Full Version : soil prep and irrigation question?

Barony
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
starting next week I have a 5000sq ft area that i have to irrigate, add top soil and lay sod but I'm not sure if I should bring in the top soil and spread it before i do the irrigation or just add the top soil after the irrigation and of course rotto till 3 to 4 inches. what process would be better. you help will be greatly appreciated.

Az Gardener
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I used to have relatives in Hemmit, if I remember correctly the soil wasn't that bad mostly clay but not heavily compacted.

I would suggest bringing in compost and till it all up, then rough grade, then irrigation, then fine grade, then sod. Once you have it all tilled up the trenching will be easy. I would wet down the native soil a day before I started but after that no water until testing/adjusting sprinklers.

If you water clay and then roto till it while wet you will create cement like soil with little or no pore space.

Last thing, expect that lawn to settle at least an inch in the next year or so. You may want to be sure your soil is up to the tops of sidewalks etc.

londonrain
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Since all I do is irrigation, I prefer the added top soil after I rough-in the irrigation system. The reason is because if it rains before you get the irrigation in, it takes for ever to dry out the added soil.

Barony
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
thanks guys for your help.