PDA

View Full Version : How effective has door to door marketing been for your business?

MJK
11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I was thinking about trying and leaving the homeowner with a brochure about the company. I was wondering how many of you tried it, and how effective it was. How many doors did you have to knock on to get x amount of clients? Thanks a ton. Also when is the best time to start this marketing campaign?

Marc

MattsMowing3535
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Way to many. It's really hard to do. First you have to carry everything with you. Then people talk for 20 minutes and waste your time. After they talk for 20 minutes they go so, What is the price. Then they tell you that you are crazy and that no one will hire you becuse you arent worth anything but free. I think flyers are good. And newspaper ad's are better.

livingreen1
11-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Door to door may be effective but have a good solid sales pitch get your yes or no and move on. Personnaly I tend to talk to much so I prefer more of the flyer type advertising.

BCFLawnLandscape
11-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I suggest door to door flyers, I am ending my second mowing season since i have been in business, this spring i only passed out maybe 500 and picked up 15-20 jobs. I was really impressed and it was only in two sub divisions. I am going to try to hit that really hard this spring and get a couple thousand out!

livingreen1
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I am good for about one per thousand really have not done to much all of our stuff is word of mouth and bids for commercial.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
How do you like people knocking on your door and trying to sell you?

Door to door falls under the "law of large numbers."

That means that maybe if you knock on enough doors someone will hire you.
Unfortunately though, there really is no "law" or "law of averages".

You never really know... even if your 'game' is good, you might sell one a day.
Then again, maybe one in a month, or none.

Door-to-door type efforts are a lot more effective most of the time when used for commercial sales. The reason being is that you are a lot more openly recieved in that environment than you are at a persons private residence.

topsites
11-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm with the guys, it's just asking for trouble one way or the other...

You either waste lots of time or you give way big discounts or you resort to scamming, no matter how you look at it, it's not good business.

Flyers are much better in comparison... Now, if you want to combine the two then go flyer in the daytime and be ready to talk a little, you can then get a hands-on feel of what it's like with just one (or 3) customers who approach you, rather than you approaching every last one of them. That should give at least somewhat satisfactory results.

Ric3077
11-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree leave a doorhanger or flyer and move on...

punk_rockin2001
11-08-2006, 12:32 AM
I think going door to door and talking to people is by far the most effective way of getting new clients. You can talk to the person figure them out and learn what you need to tell them to get the job. In my experience as a telemarketer we learned that you should hear the client say no 3 times, so just walking up and saying can I mow your grass is not good enough. Now this does require a certain amount of people skills, and the ability to be pushy w/out being pushy about it. It may not work for everyone, but for me it has worked extremely well. I leave a card or flyer w/all the people that say no anyway, and by the time I am walking away they know of all the services I provide and many of them will call me later. Talking to a person and telling them what you do leaves a far greater impact on the person than the flyer they throw away.

Lawnmasters
11-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Door to door work IS all about the numbers.

You must go up to a large number of doors in any given day.
You can't screw around, you have to be on a mission, see as many people as you can.
It's hard work.
Most important, it is 90% about the individual doing the approach and 10% what your selling. (service)
We have let people come to us for years until this year, started hanging door hangers, and talking to who ever is home, worked GREAT.

We picked up more customers this year than any year before

Josh.S
11-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Door to door work IS all about the numbers.

You must go up to a large number of doors in any given day.
You can't screw around, you have to be on a mission, see as many people as you can.
It's hard work.
Most important, it is 90% about the individual doing the approach and 10% what your selling. (service)
We have let people come to us for years until this year, started hanging door hangers, and talking to who ever is home, worked GREAT.

We picked up more customers this year than any year before

How many customers and at what prices? How long did you spend? How much $ did you spend?

It seems to me that everybody says what works well and doesn't work well but I would really like to get some numbers.. Really appreciate it..

- Josh

Lawnmasters
11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Josh,
Are you asking How many customers do we generate? And at what prices. I assume you are talking about prices we charge? Let me know if I am wrong in my assumtions but this is what we done this year.

We started in a totaly new town about 25 miles from our base. Not one customer there, no base, no name recognition. I hired a technician that happens to be good at door to door. Remember, only 1 in 100 are capable of doing door to door sucessfully. It takes a special person that can handle the rejection. We got door hangers for Lawn spraying only, from door hangers etc.com. Got 5,000 for around 200.00 We started hanging door hangers in Feb. Every day, start hanging in a different neighborhood. Talk to who ever has their door open or is in the yard. Others hang and go. EVERY afternoon when people would start to get home we would get 1 to 3 calls after hanging 1or 2 hundred, sometimes 3 hundred. Depends on how close the houses are. The next day go give estimates to these people, sign them up, spray them, hang some more. Repeat the next day.

We picked up close to 100 customers for Lawn spraying programs. Sold some of them irrigation systems, a little landscaping and this fall sold 75% of the overseeding, aerating, lime applications. Sold around 30K worth of fall services in addition to around 50K in Lawn spray and other services through the year.

How much did we spend? maybe 400 total on two batches of door hangers, usual gas expenses for one truck per week $100.00, I pay this tech $600 per week. The pay off will be this coming year when we send out our renewal letters and start the year off with a batch of customers and are able to build off of them through referrals. It's easier to sell across the street from an existing customer. I am looking forward to a good year in this area.

Hope this helps.

rutwad
11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Door-2-Door sales takes ALOT of time and patience. Many people are not home during the week, and many of them are not very polite. However, a couple of new clients makes it all worth it.