PDA

View Full Version : ACORNS!!!! everywhere in the fall cleanup... any suggestions?!?!?!

TGK
11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Did a fall cleanup yesterday. The property has a couple of HUGE oak trees which are dropping acorns like mad. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE! It made the job twice as has and take twice as long. I cant have something stupid like this eat up my time. The client will think im really hitting them up on the bill.
Still couldnt get those damn things up!
I was thinking of getting a commerical lawn vac. Does anyone use one of these? any other suggestions?

Chris

Mike's All Season Service
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I usually get the leaves up first and then rake the acorns, but this time of year they start to bury themselves, so they are hard to rake up. The best thing i suggest is to blow them into a pile.

Uranus
11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I went through that yesterday too. I used my 13hp little wonder and blew them. When the pile got to much to blow we raked them up and kept on going. When it was all done my 2 1/2 hour cleanup was 4 hours and 17 trash barrel of acorns. I got a nice bruise on my shoulder from carrying the barrel to the truck and it looks like a hickey. My wife saw it and tried to give me crap about the monkey bite. Thats about all you can do. Get as many as you can this time and a little more at the final cleanup. Whatever is left I get up in the spring with the jrco detacher

fyshstykr
11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Pitching wedge:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .... sorry I couldn't resist it.
fysh.

Rizzo
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I also have two huge oaks in my own yard. The first two years I lived here I went nuts trying to clean them up. It was like walking on marbles. Ever since I have waited a bit longer and found that the deer and huge blue jays gobble them up in less than a week! I just did all my leaf clean up today and had nearly no acorns in the turf.

Ron's Lawncare
11-09-2006, 08:21 AM
import a heard of squirrels......:laugh: :laugh:

extremerc76
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
as for a walk behind yard vac. i have one sitting on a skid in my shop on the top shelf, it's been there since i bought it. jams when used for leaves, acorns just makes alot of noise and still have an empty bag.

DBL
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
what dont bury themselves (which they are meant to do) the vegetarians will eat up or store for winter

Jay Ray
11-25-2006, 10:17 PM
as for a walk behind yard vac. i have one sitting on a skid in my shop on the top shelf, it's been there since i bought it. jams when used for leaves, acorns just makes alot of noise and still have an empty bag.

Have a BG push model 5.5 Briggs I think. It will get acorns off drives and walks but that is about all it is good for.

metro36
11-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I had that problem on one cleanup. I just used my bp blower to get them into a pile. Then I used a rake and shovel to put them in my 60 gallon green barrel.

Clear-Cut
11-26-2006, 11:14 PM
i know someone with a vac and they said that it picked them up...im not sure what brand and model he had tho

greenerman
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Blow em, rake em and put through the chipper.

lawnpro724
01-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a 9hp lawn vac but it doesn't do a very good job picking them up unless you lower it as low as it will go then you have the problem of it pushing them around instead of sucking them up. I does great on small to medium residential lawns for leaves but thats about it. I would suggest using blower like everyone else said thats what we use then tarps and rakes.

EngineeredLawns
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Blow them into a pile and use a shovel to get up the pile.

hess
02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I use a little wounder walk behind vaccum or my DR walk behind vaccum they don't have a chance they get mulched up in to dust!

gene gls
02-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I use an MB power brush for the open areas and a Shindaiwa rubber paddle brush for around the trees and small areas. Windrow them and put in a rubbish barrell, into the truck.

ranger351w
03-01-2007, 08:42 AM
In Iowa the deer,Jays,Squirrels eat them like candy. put the job off a week and they will be mostly gone. But then again mo money.:clapping:
A.S.D.S.Mowing

WH Lawn Care
03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Powerbroom will make short work of them!

topsites
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
My new Stihl br-600 backpack gets these, my older br-550 and br-420 do not (at least not reasonably).
Same with gumballs, pinecones, and other such annoyances.
It still takes a little longer than it should, but it's not that bad, not bad at all.

For many years I put up with those things best I could, just have to tell the customer that they do decompose, it's really not that big of a deal (it really isn't), but they are annoying lol.

You could, if you have a handheld like the bg-55, use a 420/550 with your right and the handheld with your left hand, that helps.

The br-600 really is amazing, for $500 it is the most powerful backpack on the market (or dang close to it), pushing out 700 cfm's at 200mph, it is around 40 percent more powerful than the 550 (and I mean to tell you, I am impressed, I really can feel the difference).

So much better in fact, I'm selling the 420 and likely next year, buying another and selling the 550.

baruch05167
03-19-2007, 11:21 PM
I got a job, two small apartment complexes because the last guy didn't get the acorns good enough.

It's worth doing a good job. Also got jobs because other guys did bad jobs on the fall clean-up. I love fall clean up. It's the last chance to make some money. We do a really good job on residentials and they LOVE it and talk talk talk all winter about us.

Baruch.

boxsky
03-19-2007, 11:30 PM
I had one of those acorn jobs last year. Of course they called me in the spring when they rooted in the ground over the winter. Some roots were over 8" long.
We had 10 wheel barrels full and still not get them all up, not even close. this was on less then a 1/2 acre lot. Customer wanted to kn ow why we didn't get them all up. Showed her, you needed to actually dig to get them out of the ground.

Now, I look a little better and walk away from those type of acorn jobs.:walking:

slammin
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
The best way Ive found is using 1 man with a blower, and 1 man with a rake, the rake loosens off the ground and the blower does the movement. Without a doubt acorns are a lot of work, but you can work smart, and not hard. :)