PDA

View Full Version : Have to severely prune

AUHort1990
11-08-2006, 08:17 AM
One of our buildings is about to be repainted. We are having to prune plant material that is growing to close to the building. Some of it will have to be severely pruned because the people that owned the building (an old hospital that we renovated and is now office space) had plant material planted way to close to the wall. I know it isn't the time of the year for this but we have no choice. Do some of you ever have to do stuff like this?

crab
11-08-2006, 08:23 AM
what type of plant meterial.

AUHort1990
11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Podocarpus macrophyllus maki, Trachelospermum jasmoides and some Buxus microphylla 'Wintergreen'. Though the boxwoods are only having to be pruned on the back side a little to get them away from the wall. The podocarpus will have to be taken completely down as did the Jasmine.

MarcSmith
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I have to take back some really large hollies this winter. currently that are 15 feet or so and I need to bring them down to 8-10 tall this year, and next year I'll begin reducing their width.....if you look at the picture, on the left you can see a lamp post currently that post cannot be seen:dizzy: Ihave a bout ten like this that I need to work on this winter...

of course no one wants to do anything that will make them look ugly, but its eaither make them look ugly for about a year or two or rip them out and replant with new material, which costs $$$.much more than labor

AUHort1990
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Now that is a beautiful building.

I don't really mind severely pruning plants that need it. I just don't like doing it this time of year. My luck we will have a some very mild weather so that new growth will emerge only to be killed back by frost. Plus it will look bad all winter.

MarcSmith
11-08-2006, 02:03 PM
if you have no other choice, then you have to....other wise you wait... since they are so close to the building the building shoudl offer some radiant heat and protection from all but the hardest frost...

upidstay
11-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd hit them with a good organic growth supplement, like Roots or Bolster. I like a soil drench. Throw some Merit in for good measure and monitor.

John B Laidlaw
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, the Japanese Yew will not take to hard prune. They are pretty tempermantal as it is. Is there a way for you to tie them back and prune a third off?
Star Jasmine will come back with a vengence... watch out for the sap...it's a sticky mess!!!

Careful with the boxwood though that variety is a bit more resilient then others

Follow past suggestions... root soak, feed, etc.

Good Luck!:waving:

AUHort1990
11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all of your replies.

We went ahead and pruned everything that needed it. I'm not to worried about the boxwoods...we only pruned the back side so you really can't tell they have been pruned. Your right about the Jasmine. I knew about the sap and warned my employees about it. We had to go ahead and prune the Podocarpus...there just wasn't any other way. There are only 4 of them so if they don't make it we can replace them easily.

mdvaden
12-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

We went ahead and pruned everything that needed it. I'm not to worried about the boxwoods...we only pruned the back side so you really can't tell they have been pruned. Your right about the Jasmine. I knew about the sap and warned my employees about it. We had to go ahead and prune the Podocarpus...there just wasn't any other way. There are only 4 of them so if they don't make it we can replace them easily.

Your post reminds me of working at the University of Portland (OR). They have one of the better plant collections for an Oregon university. Most of the trees were given space, but quite a few shrubs were put clost to buildings.

It's an older campus.

That was a very enjoyable line of work.

:)