PDA

View Full Version : Mack Dump Worth It?

Tim Wright
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I am looking at picking up this truck.

Is it worth $6000.00

Runs good, etc. 1977 "R"

What would you pay for it?

I am looking at a better way to pull my tractor and get into other markets also.

Thanks,

Tim

jazak
11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Looks pretty beat up. Make sure EVERYTHING works decent before buying. Have a mechanic look it over.

2109 Stang
11-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I don't know if you can get it insured been a 1977,and also remember you get what you pay for it make sure that it is a solid machine before you buy it .

Dirt Digger2
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
take it for a drive (assuming you have CDL) and go up and down hills...make sure that the engine isn't losing compression, inspect ALL air lines..if you dont the DOT sure will if you get pulled over...check the leaf springs and make sure none are cracked, make sure the frame isn't cracked...our mack dump just got a crack right behind the cab. Check the PTO and hydraulic lines. $6000 might seem like a good deal now, but parts for big and old trucks get expensive...that $6000 truck might need an additional $6000 worth of work

gammon landscaping
11-10-2006, 06:40 PM
we have two macks r models they are tuff old trucks. now with that said a truck that old will have some problems i promise. good news is that most every thing on a mack is repairable. when i say that i mean that insted of all this stuff that is made to day, you just remove the whole thing and throw it way and by new, with mack you can take it apart and just buy the small cheap parts that are accully broke. good news they made the r model for like 40 years so there are old parts trucks every where if you look.
a mack aint pretty
a mack don't ride well
a mack doesn't have many creature comforts
a mack will do things other trucks won't/can't
a mack is tuff as hell

they make trucks and trucks they are

huh
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
go there and search your state or search a distance from your area

bump the price up and down ect and choose with pics as an option

unless you know something more about that truck than just what you have given.....I think you can do better.....that truck looks a lot like most other old trucks....but a bit small

don't forget to compare HP and trannys and GVWRs ect :)

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/5/3/85738553.htm

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/3/9/81377439.htm

http://www.trucktraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/4/6/0/86374960.htm

RockSet N' Grade
11-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Before I would even comment on the truck I would want to know what kind of tractor do you have now and what market are you considering entering/competing in? What is your game plan for growth? What kind of trailer do you currently have and what kind of trailer are you thinking of steping up to?

Tim Wright
11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Thank you all very much for your responses.

I will elaborate further week after next if you desire to follow this thread.

Sunday morning I am off to film a white tail hunt for PSE in Seskatuan (however you spell it), and I need to get a lot of business wrapped up before I leave.

I will resume when I get back and give more info on my thoughts for the truck.

Tim

Mowingman
11-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Insurance will be very expensive. Any truck that has a dump body costs a ton for insurance, from my experience.

DBL
11-12-2006, 03:00 PM
have it checked out just like any other car or truck...you dont see many single axles with load axles

Jamesgateslandscaping
11-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Insurance will be very expensive. Any truck that has a dump body costs a ton for insurance, from my experience.
My 1 ton dump was not more expensive than any other of my trucks...
James

DBL
11-12-2006, 08:21 PM
My 1 ton dump was not more expensive than any other of my trucks...
James

my 1 ton isnt much more than the pick ups but this aint no 1 ton this is cdl and that will jack it up