PDA

View Full Version : was "the hard way to get a new truck"

lakesregionscapes
11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
While I'm posting pics, figured I'd follow up on our flammable Ford from last fall - couldn't repost that pic, but attached a charred "after" shot. We replaced that '87 F250 with a '98 Ram 1500 4WD for the mowing crew - has the small trailer with the Bobcat mower on board.

The conclusion at the end of last month is that in one year we went from three late-80's beaters, to two high milage good lookers, a 1998 and a 2000... I keep looking out into the yard, and thinking some stanger has pulled in... My "new" car ('98 Neon) is demoted to oldest and most worn...
BTW don't overlook the car: it is the coffee/lunch/missing supplies/got to go give a quote/check on the sprinklers/where the heck did the guys go now(?!) -all purpose go-fer-mobile... (You can see the front fender of it on the dump truck pictures in myother post) :rolleyes:

FearThisDeere
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
What caused the Ford to go up in flames?

BSDeality
11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
looks very similar to my dodge when I sold it, pushed in front bumper. take a look around at all the other dodges most of the older ones have front end damage or pushed in bumpers cause the brakes SUCK on those things.

Jason Rose
11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
cause the brakes SUCK on those things.

YES to that! Heck mine is a 3/4 ton and the brakes SUCK!!! Put new pads on the front this spring and made sure the rears were ok and adjusted and it needs new fronts again! Probably new rotors as well... Truck is a '98 and only has about 57K miles on it. Trailer has brakes as well, but they crapped out on me this fall and the truck had to take the trailer weight as well for a couple weeks. that was scary!

KS_Grasscutter
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey, that looks almsot identicle to our '88 Ranger after we toasted it...

lakesregionscapes
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
What caused the Ford to go up in flames?

We never could tell from what was left: started in/on the engine, and left us one tire, the reese hitch insert and a couple of heat tempered wrenches... Total loss. With an 18 year-old beater, who's to say?

If you can go back to the original "Hard way to replace a truck thread from last sping, I had a nice cameraphone shot of the smoke-and-fire-ball - server wouldn't let me repost the image...

lakesregionscapes
11-13-2006, 02:41 PM
looks very similar to my dodge when I sold it, pushed in front bumper. take a look around at all the other dodges most of the older ones have front end damage or pushed in bumpers cause the brakes SUCK on those things.

That burnt truck was actually in very nice shape before the fire department took their axes to the front of it. The red dump in the other thread, with the twisted bumper, was the result of a towing a 2WD dually out of the muck with a chain, and the fact that old Fords don't have tow hooks underneath in front (that, and the big pine tree I slid into one icy February day, with trailer in tow...). The new F350 has two huge tow-loops in the bumper - a nice feature in our yard.

ALarsh
11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Change the name of the picture file and you can repost it.

FearThisDeere
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
...or resize it a little.

apowell18
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm ashamed to say it, but there have been recalls on many F150s...they spontaneously combust...literally...check with your Ford dealer or other mechanic about any recalls...i can't remember what the recall actually is but it's mainly for 80s and early 90s models if i remember right...engineering fault!!

Gene $immons
11-15-2006, 01:24 AM
It had something to do with the overdrive (wiring?)

I never had mine fixed on my f150:nono:

lakesregionscapes
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM

Doh!
... actually, rename didn't do the trick - but resizing did. I'm sure the system is trying to avoid masses of duplicate image storage.

See attached for the mother of all smoke signals.

BTW, this one was a F250 with a 460 motor - was a nice truck in it's day. Not sure is the F150 wiring issue went through into the bigger trucks - seems like the 3/4 and 1 tons are engineered a little differently; not just beefier suspension?

As I recall, this truck did not have overdrive (our 2000 V10 F350 gets better mileage than that thing did)