PDA

View Full Version : insurance

niagara
11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Do any of you mention in your advertising that you are insured? If so has that ever resulted in your being the victim of a customer scam/false complaint to try and cash in on your insurance?

Thanks

desert rose gardening
11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I say in my add that I'm insured, never had a problem with scams

MartinsMowing
11-11-2006, 01:18 PM
a lot of people advertise that they are insured. I think people are more likely to hire you for your services. If they kno that they wont have to deal with getting the dough from you to fix a window you shot a rock through.

VBsnow
11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I work in insurance now but I used to be self employed. From my experience advertising this fact can only help. I did not advertise that I was insured but people would ask. Except for commercial clients, be wary of overly inquisitive people. If people are making you uncomfortable with strange questions about your insurance, they may be setting you up. My rule of thumb was that I did not touch anything that plugged in to anything. Not plugs, freon lines, gutters, Nothing. If a customer balked I cited "insurance regulations".

rodfather
11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Mention it? No, they should expect I have it.

MartinsMowing
11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
how much does insurance one for a single crew company?

osuokcdave
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,

I know that it is always best to have atleast SOME kind of insurance, so long as you can afford it. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

Anyways, the link below takes you to a site that will have insurance agents compete for your business. Basically, you fill out a short form, and they call with their best offer. It's pretty cool.

http://www.2insure4less.com/?s=232495&k=ls&rdto=bsmain

Good luck!

LB1234
11-14-2006, 01:45 AM
My business number is my cell number and its on the side of my truck. Get a phone call from a lady stating that a piece of burlap has flew off my truck and hit her car and its scratched and dented her car. I apologized, said I was insured and this would be corrected and aplogized for the inconvenience. I asked if she would pull over with me and contact the state police so we could file a report cause my insurance agency would require it. She said nevermind and hung up.

Last summer we performed a mulch installation at a residence. Paid there deposit but after three invoices sent no reponse from them. Call lady up and ask what is wrong and why she isn't paying. She proceeds to inform me that we flooded her basement and a bunch of furniture and valuables were ruined. I asked how we flooded her basement...she claims we punctured her irrigation line and knocked a head off the sprinkler. She claims she discovered it when returning from a weekend trip. I asked if her sprinkler was on a timer and she said yes. I asked how the basement could have flooded if the water was only running for a limited period of time...even if there was a puncture and/or a head was missing.

Seeing this for what it was...I apologized and told her we would fix the problem. I informed her I would be contacting my insurance agency and someone would be there to asses the damage. She immediately went on the defensive and said there was no need for that. I argued stating we don't operate our business like that. If we broke something or caused damage we would fix it, that is why I carry insurance. We after all did flood your basment. Well she says it was really just water on the basement walls.

I said okay, let me come check it out. No, there is no need...

Long story short (too late) we poked a hole in her POS ace hardware sprinkler set. The one with the hose you just cover with mulch and splice the splinker head into the line. I went down to the local store picked a 'kit' up showed up at her front door with it in hand. I said here is the replacement for your broken sprinkler system can I have my overdue balance. I received the check in hand.

I hate these jerks that see my company as a way to make a quick buck. no wonder insurance is so high...everyone tries to take advantage of the system.

VBsnow
11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I see things like that weekly.

I have to warn you all of something. These services that are posting on here telling folks to use online agents will not work. Many insurance companies offer insurance online for you personal insurance and this is fine. Commercial insurance is too complicated to explain via the "short form". Regardles of how "short" the form is, the company is still going to require you to have an application on file. Alot of business do not understand these forms and just sign them. These forms are a contract between you and the carrier. The worst policies I have looked at for LCO's were done via mail and fax w/ out of town agents. Agents within your reach are better for you, period. You need an adviser you can trust, not a phone number. One of my clients is lying in a hospital bed today and his check has been lsot in the mail or by the INS Co., were not sure which. Guess who is going to the hospital to straighten this out after checking my e-mails and posting responses? It ain't my website.