PDA

View Full Version : delinquent aact question

VLM
06-19-2001, 06:40 PM
I have (had) a customer who called the day of service and cancelled. The message was left at 8:30 AM. I leave the house between 6:30 and 7:00. Of course I went ahead and did the job not having recieved the message which I got when I came home that day. Now they wont pay. I have tried my whole bag of tricks on them but no results. I am wondering if there is some credit rating service I can report them to. I really would just like to use this as a motivator to threaten them with. Is there such a service???

LoneStarLawn
06-19-2001, 06:57 PM
YES there is and it will cost you some money...probably not worth it.
There is always court, but again probably not worth it.

parkwest
06-19-2001, 07:29 PM
No signed work order? Forget it. Not worth the time or effort.

Holloway Lawns
06-19-2001, 08:08 PM
This is a civil matter take them to civil court contact your county court house on how to file a civil suite it cost $62 here so if you are owed more than it would cost to file than it may be worth taking them. You may win or not if you do they should have to pay the court fee back to you ask for it in your complaint when you file. Good luck.

VLM
06-19-2001, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions guys. Lonestar, do you happen to know the name or web address of that company. If I had some specific facts I would be able to threaten them more effectively. They only owe me $35 but I hate writing off bad debts and would really like to get paid. If all else fails I'll place a lien on the property, dont have time for court.

LoneStarLawn
06-19-2001, 10:03 PM
http://www.madagency.com/

I think I read it will cost you 50% of what is due....

You might want to look around some offer it for free if the account does not have to go past the letters they send out...

VLM
06-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Thanks a heap Lonestar, you certainly have more sense than that other Texan.....Colby from Survivor!

TLS
06-19-2001, 10:25 PM
VLM,

What did you do to piss them off so much? Customers just dont fire LCO's without a reason....usually. If its absolutely NOTHING that you did, (maybe they got a cheaper price?) just go to the house, knock on the door and talk reasonably to them. BE NICE. Explain the communication/time gap, and simply ask for your $35.00. What ever you do, BE NICE! Explain that you provided a service to them and expect payment for the work performed. All while BEING NICE! If they are totally unreasonable sh*t for brains scumbag that refuses to pay NO MATTER WHAT, Now its time to NOT - BE NICE. Tell them verbally what you think of them, just dont threaten them, but under no circumstances DO NOT BE NICE to them any longer!!!

Hey its worth a try!

If this fails, write it off as a bad experience!

Best of luck!

LoneStarLawn
06-19-2001, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by dixie1
VLM,

....If they are totally unreasonable sh*t for brains scumbag that refuses to pay NO MATTER WHAT, Now its time to NOT - BE NICE. Tell them verbally what you think of them, just dont threaten them, but under no circumstances DO NOT BE NICE to them any longer!!!

Best of luck!

Nice advice...NOT!!!!

Some people's business practices are horrible...

VLM
06-19-2001, 10:34 PM
As far as I know I did nothing to piss them off. I do top quality work allways! They just moved into a house next door to one of my best customers. The wife told me her husband was coaching baseball and didnt have time to do the lawn. I noticed however, that he had time to do some serious landscaping so a red flag went up then. I knew it was a matter of time before they cancelled, because anyone who has that much energy, can certainly cut his own grass. I dont come across them often, but I guess they are just bad people. As for being mean, I wont waste my energy that way. If they want to be jerks I wont stoop to their level, but I will definitely us that collection agency. Y'all should check it out.

TLS
06-19-2001, 10:44 PM
Lonestar,

By VLM speaking his mind to them (if they totally refuse to pay for services rendered) will only satisfy VLM. Mr. Bad Customer is probably a bad neighbor also, so no need to worry about your neighboring Mr Nice Customer being pulled down to their (low) level.

By persuing the collection agency method is just wasting time and money. Heck its only $35.00.

I'm sure the guy will be understanding and pay, but if he doesn't, explain to him that there is an A$$hole born every day, and the world is just too full of them. Maybe he'd like to be informed that you think he IS one!

This isn't something that I ever had to do, but under the same circumstances, it would be worth the $35.00 to see the reaction on his face!

Peace!

LoneStarLawn
06-19-2001, 10:47 PM
Id rather hurt his pocket book or his credit file. Plus if you verbally abuse him (as you suggest) that is a court case waiting to happen as well. You cursing out a neighbor no matter what kind of person he is only reflects on you and your company (bad news travels faster than good) ....he is already a bad customer ...now your a bad businessperson.

TLS
06-19-2001, 10:59 PM
1) Without a signed contract, the credit agency idea is useless and a total waste of valuable time.

2) There is nothing illegal about telling someone what you think of them!

We are all talking about this when, I'll bet that 35 bucks that the customer (when talked to nicely) will pay with no problems.

LoneStarLawn
06-19-2001, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by VLM
I have tried my whole bag of tricks on them but no results.

I think he is past asking them for the money..

1. Verbal abuse is a crime...don't think so try it to someome who would love to see you in court.(A big problem today you can sue about anyone for anything now a days.)

2. Credit agencies will report it to the credit bureau...if you will read the info. provided it tells in detail the fact that the debtor has thirty (30) days from the date of the letter to dispute the claim or request verification of the debt.

All I have to say is good luck dixie1 with your business. You have alot to learn about business practices.

We are not talking about nice talk...you said yourself to become NOT NICE if after NICE didn't work..(I agree with being nice)

I am finished with this...I hope I have helped you VLM....

P&J Lawncare
06-20-2001, 01:03 AM
there is a simple solution to your problem just return his grass back to him of course wait a week or two and dump it in his front yard it is legal and if the cops come just explain to them that you you never received payment for the removal of grass from property so you are returning it until payment is received.

lawnman_scott
06-20-2001, 02:22 AM
Great advise p&g, i did that once or twice myself. I dont think your going to get your money, so i agree with dixie, but just laugh and tell him to keep his money, that will make him feel stupid. If you know where he works you could go to see him there. By the way, im a wanted criminal i think i have verbaly abused a few people.

turfquip
06-20-2001, 07:44 AM
I would think that if you dump a pile of grass in their yard and it is allowed to remain, producing a dead spot below, that you could be cited for criminal mischief? Maybe even vandalism. What would be best is take a blower and redistribute the clippings somewhat evenly.

Hey another use for LawnSite...hava a page set up, broken down by state, then city, that 'looks' like a credit reporting agency. Lawn guys who have disputes with former customers enter the information and the amount being disputed. Then, you could say 'your account has been forwarded to a bad debt reporting agency' etc, and give them the URL. When people hear their information is available worldwide thatey tend to want to make things right with the grieved party;)