PDA

View Full Version : Wacker Vibratory Roller

vntgrcr
11-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I bought a decent sized Wacker vibratory double roller machine today. It has a single cylinder diesel engine with a crank start. I paid $500 for it. I am curious what you guys think of this machine and if it will be practical for doing paver walkways and some large retaining wall projects I have this winter and next spring. It is a walk-behind with a long handle to steer it. It hadn't been started in 3 years and with a little ether and a few cranks it started up and ran well. If nothing else, I figure it will be good for small driveways, asphalt repairs, etc. Just wondering what you think. I will post some pictures of it when I pick it up this week.
Thanks

YardPro
11-12-2006, 09:18 AM
you need to know the compaction force... that is the important thing.
at 4Kpsi it will compact a 2-3" base
6K can do 4-6" base....etc.

xcopterdoc
11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Those were some pretty tough old rollers. Look on the cylinder head area for a rubber plug. If it has one, you can remove it and squirt a LITTLE oil in there to make starting easier. Starting fluid isn't a real good idea. What engine is on it? Wacker, Hatz or a Lambordini? If you give me the info off of the data plate I may be able to dig you up a maintenance and operator manual.

vntgrcr
11-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Those were some pretty tough old rollers. Look on the cylinder head area for a rubber plug. If it has one, you can remove it and squirt a LITTLE oil in there to make starting easier. Starting fluid isn't a real good idea. What engine is on it? Wacker, Hatz or a Lambordini? If you give me the info off of the data plate I may be able to dig you up a maintenance and operator manual.
Copterdoc,
Thanks for the offer. I will heed your advice and get that info to you. When you say squirt some oil down that hole, do you mean engine oil or diesel? I'll be in touch in the next couple of days.
David

xcopterdoc
11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Engine oil... helps to increase the compression to get it going.

Gravel Rat
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Starting fluid is the worst thing for a diesel once a diesel has become a ether addict it will always need it to start.

The highways dept uses those double drum roller for doing patching there is a bracket on the roller that makes it hang off the back of the tailgate of a dump truck.

Scag48
11-12-2006, 05:19 PM
I've used a double roller to do concrete pad prep, but I prefer a reversible plate. For $500, you did good!