PDA

View Full Version : Your best form of advertising

daveyo
11-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I called up the yellow pages and was quoted 1400 a month for a half page, however she said she was running a special for 688/month July-July. I need to mass advertise where is my money best spent.

O'Donnell Landscaping

UpNorth
11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I did the yellow pages for a year, not a half page ad, but business card size. Got very few calls from it.

I just got a new phone book delivered the other day, it didn't make it past the trash can. I have some old phone books around, but if i need a service or number its easier to use the computer. I think the phone book isn't what it used to be.

I still feel for the cost, direct mail is the best, at least for me.

KS_Grasscutter
11-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Literally the only advertizing I have ever done was in the newspaper this year. First add ran two weeks for aerating and overseeding, and i got all of one call from it. I also started a leaf cleanup add 2 weeks ago, am gonna run it another two. I have got about 10 calls from it, most of which were at the begining of this week. I think next season I am gonna start it a week later, and maybe run it a week longer too. I think that this add really paid for it's self, well, would have if I could bid cleanups to where i make money:hammerhead: .

daveyo
11-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Upnorth, what is direct mail and who do I contact, the post office? Grasscutter I used to advertise in the paper, it never really bought me a lot of accounts, however it did bring in one or two good customers.

UpNorth
11-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Direct mail is mailing postcards, flyers, etc. to potential customers. If you do not have addresses there are list companies that will sell you a list. You tell them things like property size, home value, income, etc, and they will give you a list with your target customers. Most say a 1-2% response is average, but I have got as low as .5% and as high as almost 4% (ie 10000 postcards = 100-200 phone calls, not sales, thats where you the "salesman" comes in).

Here are some companies that I have found that do marketing for the lawn care, they might be a good place for you to start since you seem pretty new to this.

www.yes-marketing.com
www.plan-itgraphics.com
www.growpro.com

sildoc
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Word of mouth. I can sell nearly 100%.
I use yellowpages to keep new calls and one times coming in but only have a business card size add in the two major yellow pages. They pay for themselves at least 5 times over but don't rely on them.

Word of mouth. Every spring I include a letter in my invoice that I will give up to $50 worth of service if one of my customers gets a neighbor, family or friend to sign up for a year of service. I also state I will include $50 worth of service for the person signing up.
I sign up a min of 10 new customers every spring. Well worth the little labor that I need to do extra to get these customers and costs me less than conventional advertising.

sildoc
11-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I also keep a yellow pages add for commercial accounts as they only use the yellow pages to find new bids.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-12-2006, 01:24 PM
lawn signs r the best