PDA

View Full Version : Super Z Owners

nmez21
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
For all the Super Z owners out there. Have any of you found a solution for lighting? I was thinking of a winter project of purchasing and installing rechargeable lights (bike lights or something similar), but I have my doubts about the plan. Do any of you use lighting of any sort on your Super Z? If so, I'd be greatful if you'd post, and tell a little about it. Thanks.

mowerconsultant
11-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Nothing new yet on lights on the Super Z, sorry.
I know we are looking at other options, when it will be available (if) and what it is, I don't know.

Pj

gps_jetskier
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I never heard what the ouput was (left over amps).
That makes coming up with options is tough.

I still think you should be able to find some low amperage LED's that would work and not overdraw the system though.

gpshemi

nmez21
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the response. If Hustler could stike a parnership w/ a bike light co. and figure out some simple mounting options for a light and sell it for an alright price, i'd sure buy it, and from what I've heard from others,many people would as well.

BTW- here's my super z and some stripes, very impressed!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=163656

blackandgold
11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I know of some customers who chose to put the lights on the Super Z anyway, and they have had clutch problems all the time.

Go with Hustler's reccommendation and mow during the daylight until Hustler gets the light kit that works correctly.

gps_jetskier
11-15-2006, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't go putting on a regular fog light kit either until you know what the spare amperage is. I put a 55w fog light kit on my regular Z when I made the lift.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/account-photos.asp?album=12119

gpshemi

nmez21
11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them. I should have elaborated on my idea :hammerhead: . What I was thinking of was a bike light that has its own battery, separate from the Z, that can be taken off whenever, where ever(used mostly for days that the sun just couldn't wait up for). Something like this: http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442588347&emssrcid=GoogleBase
I fiurge I could fabricate a bracket to the jrco mount or something. Any one ever tried anything like this? thanks

MGV
11-19-2006, 12:40 AM
GPS_Jetskier had the right idea with LED's, just check with your local auto parts dealer or a on-line lighting supplier. The new white LED's are bright, low voltage draw and available in many shapes and sizes

lawncare4u
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
For all the Super Z owners out there. Have any of you found a solution for lighting? I was thinking of a winter project of purchasing and installing rechargeable lights (bike lights or something similar), but I have my doubts about the plan. Do any of you use lighting of any sort on your Super Z? If so, I'd be greatful if you'd post, and tell a little about it. Thanks.

Why would you need lights?Running a SUPER Z you should be done...long before dark!:laugh:

gps_jetskier
11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Cuz my 5 month old twins don't always allow it....

green acres lawns
11-23-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't have a super z, but all my Scags have lights(factory kits) and I do mow at night. I do large commercials and schools with lots of wide open areas away from residential zones. When its 95 degrees during the day and 75 at night and you have 2 days to cover 60 acres, bankers hours don't cut it. Also you can't mow schools when kids are in class and sometimes it rains on week ends. I'd rather not mow in the rain, but I will if I have to. Why do I work under these conditions?? Contracts worth 10k a month (solo). Besides, I'm ex-navy, ex-farmer, ex-truck driver, divorced again, kids are grown, no real hobbies, so its not just a job. Taking care of my customers properties is what makes my world go round. Its on my mind 24-7. Anyway back to the origional question. The 24hp honda on my tiger cub can carry lights with no problem. My other tigers are liquid cooled so they have small alternators on them. Again, no problem running lights. Even my old John Deere 318 had enough amps to run head lights and tail lights.

mowerconsultant
11-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Anyway back to the origional question. The 24hp honda on my tiger cub can carry lights with no problem. My other tigers are liquid cooled so they have small alternators on them. Again, no problem running lights. Even my old John Deere 318 had enough amps to run head lights and tail lights.

All of the mowers you mention do not have a electric fan to cool hydro cooler's that are standard on the Super Z.

Pj

TLS
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
The 24hp honda on my tiger cub can carry lights with no problem. My other tigers are liquid cooled so they have small alternators on them. Again, no problem running lights. Even my old John Deere 318 had enough amps to run head lights and tail lights.

As PJ stated, the problem lies with the cooling fan. And the AMP's it draws.

As far as the 318 JD goes...Been there done that. Have two aux. utility lights and the OEM rear fender mounted utility light. Can not engage PTO with lights on. Battery light comes on with all lights on.

blackandgold
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
what does hustler say about customers running light kits but unhooking the electric fan?

mowerconsultant
12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
what does hustler say about customers running light kits but unhooking the electric fan?

If the fan is unhooked / disconnected then the hydro system is not cooling correctly and it may cause hydro failures, we do not recommend it.

Pj