PDA

View Full Version : Sprinklers come on all day...customer said

PROFESSORRAIN
11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
New install 2 mths ago cust. calls said system runs all the time!I've been back to the house 2 times already for same problem,asked cust. has anyone reprogrammed clock?Survey is out top ten answer's on the board,#1 was no nobody would be in there.So I said why is this sticky dot I put over key hole is torn?Delay.........well this is your third time here for this.That's why I put the dot on the key hole(for warranty purpose).I run contractor default took 5 min. tops,as I finshed customer walks up I hand her a $65.00 bill "what's this" bill for my time & materials (sticky dot/with date on it).To say the least I was not the hero I was when I done the install.I explained the charge reasoning she finally comes out in a round about way her ex was there and gonna help her reset the programming (which I do under warranty) to run less time.She calls togay wanting me to adjust time I said o.k how will you pay that started a new fire.My question is would you charge?Other two times I was around the corner she drove by and saw me.

Green Sweep
11-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Yes, I'd charge.

I program the controller once for a new install & thats it. During my final walk through with the customer (during which, I program the controller in front of them), I tell them that if they have any questions programming, that: (1) I am leaving the controller instructions. (2) They can call me & I can walk them through most anything over the phone. and (3) They can find a lot of useful programming info on the web (in our case www.rainbird.com).

Unless you are installing Greenskeepers, most of the new controllers that I have seen are user friendly. Time is money

Rob

Hank Reardon
11-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Depends on many factors: what kind of client they were, was I in the area already, what kind of mood I was in, etc. Based on what you laid out, I'd charge her and she'd really flip a biscuit when she saw our rates.

Good idea with the sticker.

Az Gardener
11-12-2006, 08:27 PM
That 65 bucks wont begin to cover all the bad karma you are about to receive. She has learned her lesson, be the bigger man and move on.

Dirty Water
11-12-2006, 09:02 PM
This is one of the reasons why we switched to the ESP. Timer callbacks are virtually zero now.

PROFESSORRAIN
11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
All the factors ya'll have mentioned are my thoughts,especially the ESP MODULAR controller features are great.
p.s. message on answering machine from cust. call when I'm able to tomorrow!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA TOMORROW YEAH RIGHT!

Hank Reardon
11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
That 65 bucks wont begin to cover all the bad karma you are about to receive. She has learned her lesson, be the bigger man and move on.

Karma doesn't pay the mortgage. I pay for my mistakes, so should everyone else. A "bigger man (or woman)" would have come clean the first time and probably wouldn't have been charged. Own your problems.

Its about personal responsibility and honesty.

koster_irrigation
11-13-2006, 06:31 AM
This is one of the reasons why we switched to the ESP. Timer callbacks are virtually zero now.

I agree. We made the switch to ESP's a couple of years ago due to TORO's lack of user friendlyness with the Grnkpr's I cant think of any call backs off hand with the esp's.

Weve installed hundreds over the past two years.

PurpHaze
11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Being in an area where the Irritrol MC-Plus controller seems to be the standard for us, the city and many others... keys are abundant and controllers sometimes are gotten into by a variety of people. It goes on my work order as "unknown person(s)" did this or that. :)

Az Gardener
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Karma doesn't pay the mortgage. I pay for my mistakes, so should everyone else. A "bigger man (or woman)" would have come clean the first time and probably wouldn't have been charged. Own your problems.

Its about personal responsibility and honesty.

You may have heard of a little retail out let called Nordstroms. Do you think they built their business by pointing out their customers many short comings? The stories are numerous about the lengths and costs they go to to keep customers happy.

If you want to teach personal responsibility and honesty start a church. If you want to build a successful service business you should have enough in your budget to cover little things like this.

IRRITECH
11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Absolutely,

I have a customer who over the course of about 3 years since we did the install has called more than two dozen times. Here lawn is dry, the flowers are wilted, etc. Every time I go out the clock is turned off. ESP 16LX.(yes I leave the key in it so she can adjust the time) Turns out her father has been turning the clock off regularly. I have explained this many times but she just keeps paying. Go figure.

YardPro
11-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Absolutely,

I have a customer who over the course of about 3 years since we did the install has called more than two dozen times. Here lawn is dry, the flowers are wilted, etc. Every time I go out the clock is turned off. ESP 16LX.(yes I leave the key in it so she can adjust the time) Turns out her father has been turning the clock off regularly. I have explained this many times but she just keeps paying. Go figure.

we have customers like that........

great revenue source... $65.00 for a 10 minute reprogram, or to simmply turn the dial to "run".....

had a call last week-
i helped another contractor ( a freind) hook up a clock at another friends house. Got a call last week to ask if i could come out and troubleshoot the controller. He had the origional installer out there( my friend) and then another guy... they could not figure our what was wrong... the display was blank.......

Well there was no power to the outlet... the gfi was tripped a few outlets over...

10 minutes... $120.00....
gotta love those calls..

IRRITECH
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
had a call last week-
i helped another contractor ( a freind) hook up a clock at another friends house. Got a call last week to ask if i could come out and troubleshoot the controller. He had the origional installer out there( my friend) and then another guy... they could not figure our what was wrong... the display was blank.......

Well there was no power to the outlet... the gfi was tripped a few outlets over...

10 minutes... $120.00....
gotta love those calls..

Those are the days when you KNOW there is a God