PDA

View Full Version : I did my first irrigation repair for pay!

Ed G
11-13-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of this.

I'm now the irrigation "expert" in my neighborhood.

Neighbor comes to me for help. Three of his six zones will not run.

I pull cover of his controller (Hunter something or other) all wires are connected correctly and time is set and programmed correctly.

I disconnect wire from zone four and reconnect on zone one terminal. Zone four turns on. Repeat for zones five and six. they turn on.

we sit and have a beer and think about it.

I suddenly recalled a trick I read about connecting three 9 volt batteries together. We did this and the valves that were not operating fired under DC power. So we know now that the solenoids are working properly.

We sat down for another beer to ponder some more.

I then came up with an idea - we should get my 120 foot extension cord for my leaf blower. I got stripped some jumper wire and connected the jumpers to the male prongs of the extension cord and to the controller. Set #1 valve to manual, went over to valve, plugged in solenoid wires to female end of extension cord and VOILA! the sprinklers start hissing and pop out of the ground running.

Being excited about our discoveryand satisfied that solenoids and timer are fine, we sat down to have another beer.

Cable runs from timer to valves # 4, 5 and 6. It is then spliced to valves #1, 2 and 3, which are about 120 feet away.

We connected the extension cord at this splice to valves 1, 2 and three and again the valves work. We are now sure the problem exists in that cable.

We found our problem using an a/c extension cord of all things :).

Neighbor comes home the next day with new cable and a pick.

He starts digging and after two swings, the pick bounces off the ground and the blade is bent at a 45 degree angle.

He gets mad and starts swearing about how the hell is he gonna dig a trench for this cable.

Naturally, I suggest we sit down, have a beer and think about it.

Two beers later, I come up with an idea - we are gonna dig that trench with a lawn edger!

I'll be darned if that didn't work great!

It cut a narrow trench about six inches deep you only needed to step on the grass to fill in the trench.

So the moral of the story for you irrigation pros...when you got a tough diagnosois job, The necessary tools to you have to have handy:

150 foot extension cord
lawn edger
2 cases of beer.

Oh, the pay I received....free beer for as long as the neighbor lives there.

PurpHaze
11-13-2006, 09:08 AM
LOL... Next you'll be posting that you went out and successfully bid on a 521 locator on E-Bay. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
11-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I wanna know about a pick that bends after you hit a rock with it. (photo, please)

jerryrwm
11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I wanna know about a pick that bends after you hit a rock with it. (photo, please)
I was kinda wondering about that myself. Gotta quit using those cast aluminum picks.

SprinklerGuy
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
LOL.....what is a pick?

Ed G
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
read that again.... I never said the pick hit a rock.

"the home depot special" was bouncing off of bahia grass.

DanaMac
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
LOL.....what is a pick?
Exactly - my pick has a nice rust coating on it right now. Haven't used it in months. And don't use it often anymore.

DeepRoots
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
wow Ed G,
you just surpassed the majority of "proffessionals" here.

Wet_Boots
11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
I still want to see this so-called "pick" - I use Home Depot mattocks, instead of regular pickaxes, and the fiberglass handles have been okay so far. Mattock heads are fine, as well.

I wonder if they still sell those imitations of Wheeler ratchet cutters, with bodies and blades that fall apart like trick suits. There is another Wheeler imitation that I haven't tried, that I've seen in a hardware store. The cutters are branded 'General' and look good, but they weigh too much, because the body isn't aluminum.

Dirty Water
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
:laugh: at the pick.

I use ours all the time in our rocky soil.

Ed, I keep scraps of control wire on my truck for exactly that sort of testing.

Scott's
11-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I enjoyed comming to this site to read and enjoy all of the post. Dirty Water your comment underneath your post has turned me off for good. I understand you have the right to type whatever you want. The comment about the catholic children wearing electric chairs is a rude, sick comment. I will find a new site to enjoy Lawn Sprinkler Talk. May God Bless You Dirty Water.

PurpHaze
11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Guess the Starbucks' swiller from the Pacific northwest pissed off the Bible belter??? :laugh:

Hank Reardon
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I personally enjoy them!

Ed, great work on the repair.

Dirty Water
11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Scotts,

Don't let the opinions of one member turn you off from the rest of the site.

PurpHaze
11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Scotts,

Don't let the opinions of one member turn you off from the rest of the site.

Especially when it's YOU!!! All he has to do is stick around and your "signature sayings" change with each post. Maybe he'll find another one to REALLY tick him off?

Wet_Boots
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
As much as I advocate the various freedoms we enjoy, including speech, I might question the use of the signature space for editorializing.

PurpHaze
11-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Uh-oh... Sounds like the "Respect My Authority" picture's coming out. :)

Personally, if it's not in good taste let Sean or the Mods handle it. Otherwise, it's nobody else's business... and surely not mine.

Wet_Boots
11-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Not my website - not my authority. I don't have to read anything on a webpage, be it banner ad, or diatribe. But I can anticipate how it can upset some folks, and be counterproductive.

Ed G
11-14-2006, 05:38 AM
where is this comment?

Being a survivor of 8 years of neo-nunism, I'm betting I would enjoy it.

We didn't have electric chairs. We were beat, bent over on folding wooden chairs down in the boiler room.

As far as seeing the pick, your gonna have to visit it at Home Depot. Neighbor returned the POS.

It had yellow fiberglass handle, pick on one end and 3" wide blade on the other

Wet_Boots
11-14-2006, 06:41 AM
That tool goes by the name of "mattock." I haven't had a gripe with the HD mattocks I've seen, but those guys always are changing sources, so yesterday's reliability can be today's crapola.

PurpHaze
11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
where is this comment?

Find any of Jon's (Dirty Water) posts and they'll be at the bottom in red. It changes all his post signatures each time he posts.

Being a survivor of 8 years of neo-nunism, I'm betting I would enjoy it. We didn't have electric chairs. We were beat, bent over on folding wooden chairs down in the boiler room.

No wonder you do irrigation work for beer. :laugh:

Dirty Water
11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I went ahead and removed the revolving signature. While I (and many others) seemed to enjoy it, I don't want to drive traffic away from this site, and cause lost revenue for Sean.

DanaMac
11-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I went ahead and removed the revolving signature. While I (and many others) seemed to enjoy it, I don't want to drive traffic away from this site, and cause lost revenue for Sean.
Hey if you're going to do that, than every other person praising "god" or some other being/entity in their sig line needs to remove theirs. I can just as easily leave this site because someone preaches their supposed word in each of their posts.

This discussion will probably get moved to the religious off topic area. But it pisses me off to no end when someone makes a threatening remark like that and then we need to adjust what statement we are trying to make. You know I'm with you Jon - I'm a total PROUD atheist. But it should go both ways. this guy should remove his religious hype from his sig line.

Precision
11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Not my website - not my authority. I don't have to read anything on a webpage, be it banner ad, or diatribe. But I can anticipate how it can upset some folks, and be counterproductive.

yes, but those people need to grow thicker skin and stop being such whiny cry babies.

There are much bigger / more important things to get offended by than a signature line questioning the validity of christianity. As he who takes on blind faith is often led over a cliff, full of bliss until the sudden deceleration point.

Dirty Water
11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey if you're going to do that, than every other person praising "god" or some other being/entity in their sig line needs to remove theirs. I can just as easily leave this site because someone preaches their supposed word in each of their posts.

This discussion will probably get moved to the religious off topic area. But it pisses me off to no end when someone makes a threatening remark like that and then we need to adjust what statement we are trying to make. You know I'm with you Jon - I'm a total PROUD atheist. But it should go both ways. this guy should remove his religious hype from his sig line.

I concur, but as the minority, I don't mind. If anything, perhaps it can be example of being the bigger man. Something christians preach so much about, but have such a hard time actually doing.

My little signature script can display anything, so perhaps I'll change the theme from religion to something else :)

Precision
11-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I concur, but as the minority, I don't mind. If anything, perhaps it can be example of being the bigger man. Something christians preach so much about, but have such a hard time actually doing.

My little signature script can display anything, so perhaps I'll change the theme from religion to something else :)

being an agnostic / buddhist / hedonist I liked the quotes.

by the way the only way you are in the minority is by being a white male.

Bring back the sarcastic wit, even if it isn't religon based.

Dirty Water
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I threw a random file of quotations into it for the time being, some are funny, some are not. I hand picked the last batch.

I didn't take the time to format them all to fit, so some might get cut off, but this is more of a placeholder while I prepare a list of good quotes that I like that hopefully won't offend too many people.

Rotor-Man
11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Being a "Lurker" more than a poster over the years, I've enjoyed the posts that give solutions to irrigation problems that exist in our business, the problem starts when the need arises to advocate a religion or atheistism to other people.
Dirty Water, you need to realize that your comments were very offensive to many viewers of this site, and that comments or quotes are NOT needed in a irrigation forum at all, so why use them at all?
Get back to solving issues with the underground sprinkling business, so I can "Chuckle" at all the posts from PurpHaze who appartently loves taking digital pictures of every little repair job he does on the public's dime!:laugh:

Precision
11-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Being a "Lurker" more than a poster over the years, I've enjoyed the posts that give solutions to irrigation problems that exist in our business, the problem starts when the need arises to advocate a religion or atheistism to other people.
Dirty Water, you need to realize that your comments were very offensive to many viewers of this site, and that comments or quotes are NOT needed in a irrigation forum at all, so why use them at all?
Get back to solving issues with the underground sprinkling business, so I can "Chuckle" at all the posts from PurpHaze who appartently loves taking digital pictures of every little repair job he does on the public's dime!:laugh:

and my question would be, why are his quotes any more offensive than the ones offering quotes from the Bible / scripture or witnessing how wonderful god / Jesus are?

our Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of speech, not freedom from being offended.

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Unlike others I don't mind sharing my work. I don't have anything to hide. :laugh:

And as far as being "little" repair jobs guess I won't share any pics when we cut into an 8" main line to install a resilient wedged isolation valve in the near future. :dizzy:

And... It's MY camera and I'm encouraged to take pictures to document certain things I run into and attach the pictures to our computerized work order system. More than once they've covered our arses. :)

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Matching offensiveness is not the idea, hopefully.

speedbump
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Even though I don't post much and am also a lurker here. Mostly because my experience is in the Pump and Well market. I have to say that these guys who are experienced in the Irrigation business are donating their time and experience to the homeowner/DIYer without compensation of any kind.

When someone comes to a site like this and starts bashing the guys who have helped them with their sprinkler problems, it makes me take issue with that person. Especially when he is also putting sig's on the bottom of his posts expressing his opinion/faith.

I didn't see the offending post this guy was talking about, but as most seem to agree, it's his right to do so. Same as the TV, if your offended by a program, turn the channel.

Forums are very informative and can be a source of fun and camaraderie. Without a little levity now and then, they could become rather boring.

I host a Pumpsandtanks Forum and like to see a little jesting going on between the guys. It makes the day shorter and brings out their real personalities.

When EdG started this Post. I found it very amusing and so did the rest of the guys posting except one who hijacked the post in the first place, so lets let the blame lie where it should.

bob...

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
A similar reaction had already appeared earlier on some other thread. Since everyone theoretically possesses some level of spirituality, decrying organized religions is analogous to touting a differing spiritual philosophy. (something that the author might not have been considered) I have no interest in hearing about anyone's spiritual values, regardless of flavor. We're all grownups, and are supposedly responsible persons, and not in need of any spiritual coaching.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Okay, not to hijack this thread any further, but I think I have a point to make here that all can agree on.

This is a forum to discuss the green industry and topics relating to it. Unless you want to post your thread in the Religious, Off-Topic, or other sites for such discussions, then we should all stick to the topic started by the thread creator.

Having said that, I would like to make a point to the thread hi-jacker and to the others here. You may agree with this or not, it makes no difference.

I am a christian and put firm faith in God and I beleive that we all need him. I would take every opportunity to share my faith, in the proper setting. This forum is not the proper setting as you have to get to know someone to properly share your faith in ways that they can relate to. Many of us only know each other as a name on the monitor and through our posts, which may or may not be who we really are.

However, I am also a Veteran of Iraqi Freedom and still a member of our Armed Forces. I served and still serve to defend our freedoms. Those include Freedom of Speech as well as Freedom of Religion. I may form an opinion of you from the quotes in your sig line, I may agree with them and I may not agree with them. However, as long as the Mods do not complain (as this is thier site) then neither should you or I.

I try to keep my comments on the topic and stick to business here, but I hope that you all understand that this is a public place that is promoting the Standards and Growth of the Green Industry and nothing else. If the Mods were promoting Ideals that were against my belief, then I can chose not to visit. But I would not gripe about their freedom to do so as I have stood in harms way to protect that freedom and there are many other that have stood and fallen to protect that same freedom.

So, as Americans (or even Europeans, Aussies, etc.) can't we all just get along!!!

BTW, ED, nice job on the repair, and I liked the story...

Precision
11-15-2006, 04:15 PM
by the way Ed.

your neighbor would be better off paying me cash, then free beer for life. Not that I drink a lot mind you. But I only drink the good stuff. Mackeson Triple Stout being among my favorites.

I think I pay $48 a case when I special order it with a 2 case minimum. But oh is it good.

JGR
11-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Keep posting the pictures Purphaze. That is what keeps this forum interesting.

Without A Drought
11-15-2006, 08:48 PM
God God God, Devil Devil Devil... who cares. neither of them are digging out a PGP or installing a manifold for me.

if you don't like it, don't read it. if you happened to read it before deciding you don't like it, read something you know you like, and call it a wash.

pg

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
The Devil made me create this manifold :phttp://img348.imageshack.us/img348/6049/eightvalvemanifold23fz.jpg

Without A Drought
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
And God will make you pay for it when it cracks!

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 11:26 PM
The Devil made me create this manifold :p

And God will make you pay for it when it cracks!

I gotta get some money down on this one. :laugh:

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Okay, not to hijack this thread any further, but I think I have a point to make here that all can agree on.

Very well stated!!! :clapping:

I may form an opinion of you from the quotes in your sig line, I may agree with them and I may not agree with them.

It's like the sigs about all the equipment that many are in favor of. Ignore them if you don't like them. :drinkup:

BTW... A late thanks to all the veterans that have fought over the history of this country for everyone's freedoms that we soooo take for granted. :usflag:

Without A Drought
11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
"It's like the sigs about all the equipment that many are in favor of. Ignore them if you don't like them. :drinkup: "

My signature would say:

'05 poly cutters
'04 crimpers
'06 channellocks
'00 shovel
'78 foot

not much, but it beats cutting grass

pg