PDA

View Full Version : Glue in cold/damp weather

PerfiCut L&L
11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Just put a small retaining wall with capstones, and am having problem getting the adhesive to set. Ive tried a couple different types. General masonry adhesive, which didnt work. Followed that up with Liquid Nails for concrete/masonry. Which also didnt work. Im thinking it must be the weather. We've had a recent run of cool-cold temps with rain every 4 or 5 days.

What would you suggest?

YardPro
11-13-2006, 03:54 PM
there are several adhesives that are "wet set". they have to be applied on damp surfaces.

pavetech's website and look into the different adhesieves available.

Mike33
11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I did a wall last week and glued the caps in a light drizzle and it worked well. I dont glue that often because i use ab that has a lip. This wall was cornerstone and cap was flat. What i use then is licquid nail the kind that says waterproof, dont get the masonry type. We had to remove 2 caps 1 day later due to customer wanted the wall a little longer, we chiseled and chiseled and finally got them off pita. We actually tore a hunk out of the bottom of cap. So it worked very well, any questions pm me and ill actually get a part number. I get this at lowes.
Mike

zedosix
11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Are you cleaning the surface first? Typically in this cold weather what I do is clean the surface with water, use a chamois to soak up most of the moisture, apply the glue (we use PL premium) then tap then down with a rubber mallet. Not much else to do other than wait for the sun to shine.

Which may not be until next April:cry:

crab
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
glue for "rocks" isnt that cute.see ya in ten years.

zedosix
11-14-2006, 09:33 AM
glue for "rocks" isnt that cute.see ya in ten years.

:hammerhead:

AztlanLC
11-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Srw brand works real good, also gorilla glue

YardPro
11-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I did a wall last week and glued the caps in a light drizzle and it worked well. I dont glue that often because i use ab that has a lip. This wall was cornerstone and cap was flat. What i use then is licquid nail the kind that says waterproof, dont get the masonry type. We had to remove 2 caps 1 day later due to customer wanted the wall a little longer, we chiseled and chiseled and finally got them off pita. We actually tore a hunk out of the bottom of cap. So it worked very well, any questions pm me and ill actually get a part number. I get this at lowes.
Mike

mike.

you should still be gluing the top caps.... this is one thing that adds strength to the wall..

also if someone walks on the top caps, and steps on the edge the top cap will flip up and they could fall and get seriously hurt.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-14-2006, 08:20 PM
i use titebond landscape i have used it in the snow and it works great

Mike33
11-15-2006, 09:49 PM
mike.

you should still be gluing the top caps.... this is one thing that adds strength to the wall..

also if someone walks on the top caps, and steps on the edge the top cap will flip up and they could fall and get seriously hurt.
I cant argue with you but they seem to work.What i have found is most of my walls have curves which means we cut a lot of caps. I always fill backside almost to top of cap with top soil, dec. stone, etc. With these 2 comboes they seem to fitand lock tight. Most of my walls and you have to know my location seems to be in background holding a bank and does not get any one walking on them. I have some that i do glue when i feel someone might be walking on them.
Mke

mbella
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
I cant argue with you but they seem to work.What i have found is most of my walls have curves which means we cut a lot of caps. I always fill backside almost to top of cap with top soil, dec. stone, etc. With these 2 comboes they seem to fitand lock tight. Most of my walls and you have to know my location seems to be in background holding a bank and does not get any one walking on them. I have some that i do glue when i feel someone might be walking on them.
Mke

I'd still glue em, regardless.

btammo
11-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I always glue my caps as well. Up here in the north country in late season installation we have a hard time with glue sticking to cold/wet caps and or bullnose pavers. I sometimes use a torch to heat/dry them and then apply the adhesive. I also use SRW but sometimes use PL400.

YardPro
11-16-2006, 06:19 PM
i would glue them as well. just for a liability issue

Shane472
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
We use a torch to dry out the caps and top row before gluing. Works real well. Things are dry.