PDA

View Full Version : signs of being burned out???

joshua
06-19-2001, 11:35 PM
this past week i've been tired all day and wanting to just go home and sleep, been going to bed alot earlier and can hardly get out of bed in the morning. haven't been eating much either, not very hungry. its been alot hotter than what its suppose to be this time of year. already hit 100, and have 4 days in the 90s this past week and a half. i don't know if i'm getting burned out or the heat is taking its toll?
alittle help on this one

Fine Lines Lawn
06-19-2001, 11:43 PM
The heat is very draining and stresses us all out. Pace yourself and take it easy. Keep the fluids going in and work shorter days.

Schlepie
06-19-2001, 11:45 PM
Hey, had a little bit of this trouble myself. Worked 40 hrs at a full time job and have 25 accounts to boot. This is my first full summer to do this. I just now am going to go part time at my other job and go full time with this one. How many yards are you doing per day. With this heat, just drink lots of fluids, take several breaks, bring along some snacks. Should help. Don't think it's burn out.

Toroguy
06-19-2001, 11:52 PM
This had been a weird weather year. Yesterday it rained so hard, that water got inside my trucks engine compartment. I had a great (I went APE CRAP!) time trying to get it started. Finally at noon (two hours later), I made it to the pump. Yup, didnt restart for another 15 minutes. Afterwards it has been fine.

I felt a huge "burnout" after yesterday. Today we had nice weather and I feel fine. Just keep plugging along Joshua, its sometimes tough.

lawnboy82
06-19-2001, 11:54 PM
just curious, besides being burned out, and you say that you had a stress test a few weeks ago. i would suggest going and having some blood drawn. maybe you got lymes disease? or something else. just something else to consider besides being burned out.

Fallguy
06-20-2001, 12:09 AM
you can beat this with little effort -first wear muscle shirts - people understand the heat then id get me a big brimed wicker type hat from walmart - bout 9 bucks with the chin strap to keep it on your head - bask yourself with a ton of sunscreen - 45 or up -if heat is extreem even mowing alone will zap you so take you a water break abut every 45 minutes - just chill out for a few minutes - another thing walmart carries is a little pump up mister bout $15 worth every penny - works like a pump up sprayer - its gonna lower your body temp by a good 3 degrees spray it on the back and front of your neck ,down your arms and legs - this will feel like paridice when your out of breath and have dry mouth - drink alot of gatorade - it gets expensive but not as if you buy powdered - always carry at least a 5 gal water jug with you with ice in it to make your gatoraid - like you will hear from everybody - do pace yourself and take frequent breaks - they will keep you from frequent hospital visits. if you stop sweating though get to a doctor or hospital quickly - good luck

geogunn
06-20-2001, 12:14 AM
josh...listen to your body. if symptoms persist, see the doc.

good luck.

GEO

TJLC
06-20-2001, 05:53 AM
Hang in there, guys. This time of year it gets real tough to keep going. I haved learned to start as early as possible and quit as early as possible. I'm also drinking more water and taking more breaks. It's not worth getting sick over. I admit there are times when I wonder why I am going through this kind of work. I guess the thought of making min. wage helps keep me going. LOL

watatrp
06-20-2001, 06:34 AM
I hear you guys. I also have a full-time 40 hr. per week job. I also have 55 accounts. These 75 hour weeks are a killer. I took a day off from mowing yesterday just because. Feel better today. Will make up the time with a little extra help from the two guys that work for me part-time. Cost me a little more money to pay them but at least I have my sanity.

bobbygedd
06-20-2001, 08:07 AM
burnout is when u wake up, cant get out of bed and when u finally do u have to limp down the hall , sideways, till yur legs adjust to the shock of walking. then, u glance over at the answering machine and if its blinking, u unplug it. go into the bathroom, and brush your teeth but was not paying attention and u used the little brush that your wife uses to clean her jewelery. then u go into the kitchen and u pour cheerios into the dogs bowl, and alpo into your own. then , after guzzling 4 cups of coffee, u can see straight enough to leave the house. go to the gas station, fill up the truck but forget to fill up the cans, by your second cut your out of gas(you and the mower), go get gas, in the middle of your third cut u have to pee so bad but cant go in the truck cus neighbors r outside, drop what u r doing and find a diner. by your 5 th cut u feel "normal" and the rest of the day goes smooth. next day, repeat steps 1-7.

awm
06-20-2001, 08:31 AM
Im have learnred a little secrete. several yrs ago i was in a gnc
store and this young girl told me that she and her friends did a
lot of street speed. i ask her about the coming down an she told me
about super stress vitamins.said they worked to lessen the burnout
from speed. well putting 2 and 2 togather i thought id see if they help in normal fatigue . really worked well . one in particular.
called maxine works to hold me up.dont,awe go ahead an laugh.
yes its for women and dont know why this one holds me up so well but it does.im older so your younger bodies might have different requirements. later.

Lawnshark
06-20-2001, 10:12 AM
It has been very hot here in TN the past few weeks, too. We keep a cooler on the trailer and I put my head under the water after every yard. That helps me just to cool down. Just a tip to help you out. I am 20 years old and after a few of days in this heat I felt like I was 80.
Good Luck

Fallguy
06-20-2001, 11:32 AM
carefull that you dont cause yourself to go into convulsions or a stroke - may be a urban legend but i hear people can die like that...anybody else hear that?

Got Grass?
06-20-2001, 01:00 PM
I'm burned out.
First off I havent been getting much sleep, as I have a 3 month old daughter and the mother works nights, So I'm forced to get up a few times. In the morning I just cant get up. When I do Its usually to the phone. Grap a drink, put some life cerial in the dogs bowl, forget the alpo for myself. forget my socks, drink, and cell phone. run back in do all that forget my keys, run in again. Finnaly head off to my parrents house where I keep the equip. Hook up the trailer and go, forget my water, grab that and go. Get to first lawn and relize I forgot to stop for gas and have a flat caster, off to station. Almost forget to fill mower. Skip a lawn go back to it later on. Ught. After about 3 lawns I wake up and feel like I can finish off the day.
Plus on fathers day (my 1st) my father fell and went in the hospital.
Made me think again about how important safty glases are. He got up at 2am to pee and fell (diabetic) hit the sink or knocked over the table and landed directly on his right eye. Tore the globe bad, and lost vision in the eye for good. After you loose one eye there is a 1 in 200 % chance the other eye will be affected. So keep the safty glases on whenever you can, always when your trimming, sawing, edging, and mowing in bad conditions, especially with leaves and dust. If something does make it to your eye never rub it. Go check it out in the truck miror, rinse your hands off with your water first. it you can get it our or its bad have your help take you in. You can't replace an eye.

Charles
06-20-2001, 08:46 PM
I went through a burnout period around 6 or 7 year ago. It lasted appx 3 years. None of the symptoms above are a sign of burnout. Burnout is when you start hating your job. You cant stand the thought of doing your job. You start dreaming of ways to do something else. man I went through a perion when I couldnt even stand the smell of grass or look at other companies doing lawn work. i got depressed and stressed and anxiety. This can happen in any line of work. I started doing trucking parttime and hired someone to help me get through the burnout period and help me when I had to go out of town. I lost a few customers but kept most of the business and the nightmare passed. I kept cutting grass during that time.

kutnkru
06-20-2001, 09:32 PM
When you watch the commercials of the Brain on Drugs commercial and then reply to their question with "Are you gonna eat that or not?" -LOL!

Kris

dmk395
06-20-2001, 09:41 PM
Make sure you go out at night. If you simply work all day, then wake up and do it all over again, day in, day out, u will be grinding it out forever. Dont forget to have fun once in awhile and find a balance.

Evan528
06-20-2001, 10:08 PM
I am definitly burned out! I work 12 hours a day 6-7 days a week! I am to the point where if im not working.... im sleeping...... Im stressed worse than I have been in years. This business has been my life for many years and my passion.... now... all i can think about the whole time im working is the possibility of selling my business and doing something else landscape related. Too top it all off... I finally got a employee about 6 weeks ago that knows what the hell he's doing.... well... he stoped showing up and returning my calls so ive been working myself. Tomorrow morning im gonna spend some time searching for a mexican..... Ive had it with white guys who want money for doing nothing! Sorry to vent..... im just not having a good year!

AVRECON
06-20-2001, 10:20 PM
Hey, man try not to eat the greasy foods. Eat right and take a multi-vitaman and drink plenty of H2O. And drink a few cold ones man, hell maybe go down to your favorite bar and have few. After work that is and with a cab taking you home!

SLS
06-20-2001, 10:21 PM
Evan528:

se habla espanol??? :D

I hope you find some GOOD help soon...you are working way too much.

Good Luck!

AVRECON
06-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Sorry dude, I didn't realize you were 19. But try to eat right and take that vitaman!

Evan528
06-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Can anybody tell me how to say "who wants a job" in spanish? lol! There is a couple of areas near me that are saturated with mexicans so hopefully ill have some luck!

joshua
06-20-2001, 10:31 PM
we're cutting around 45-50 a week, just added 4 or 5 more not sure on the last 1, we've been cutting like usual but we have the biggest landscaping job my company has ever done, and were trying to do that for 5 or 6 hours a night after we cut. been doing the job since thurs. took fathers day off. almost done with it hopfully 2 more days and it will be done. i'll post the pics of the job (before and after). only thing i don't think we're gunna be done for awhile, because the lady wants us to rip out 6 shrubs in a island and put a white pine and some green mounds, then she was thinking of putting a walkway from the side door to the pool and meet it up with the walkway from the back door(we just put that in). i don't mind, doing the work i know she'll pay, she wrote me a check for just under $4k to help pay for the shrubs, mulch, soil, and some of the labor.

we have a cooler with all our drinks for the day (water, gatorade, and other stuff, no beer). and another cooler with a wet rag to help cool us down. i've been going through about2 gallons of water a day this past week. it was cooler today by about 10 degrees and i felt alot better, i think my body just wasn't used to it being so hot so fast, one day it was about 80 the next 100.
thanks for all the posts.

gusbuster
06-20-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Evan528
Tomorrow morning im gonna spend some time searching for a mexican..... Ive had it with white guys who want money for doing nothing!

Evan,

Expect to go through a couple before you find one that fits your shoes. Remember, Just treat them fair.
John

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-20-2001, 11:14 PM
¿Quien quisiera trabajar?
Who wants to work?

Toroguy
06-21-2001, 09:54 AM
El jardinero, el toroguy es execellente!

cutntrim
06-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Chill out boys. My partner told me he's leaving the business (after 10 years), my grandma had a stroke, and we were named in a slip-and-fall lawsuit...all in a 72hr period.

I was stressed, but then I come home to my beautiful wife and 18mo old baby boy and realize what's really important. Focus on the good things and it'll help deal with the bad.

Evan528
06-21-2001, 11:05 PM
I got a Mexican tonight!!! He speaks no english at all so I had to talk to his friend! The guy has alot of experience! He starts tomorrow... wish me luck! this will take alot of weight off my back! this week working 13 hours a day by myself has been pure hell!

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-21-2001, 11:26 PM
Se habla espanol?

KD'sLawns
06-22-2001, 07:33 AM
Evan, just out of curiosity how are you going to communicate with your hired help? I would be a little leary if I saw a LCO talking to his help like:"YOU MOWEE THE GRASSY AND I TRIMMEE DA BUSHEES AND EDGEE DA YARD".

scottb
06-22-2001, 07:46 AM
Josh you may need to take a little break if you do as good of work as you say than your customers will stay with with you. By break I mean slow down on the extra Landscape jobs, go out at night give you'r self a social life. Another words relax you'r too young to wear you'r self out now. Bottom line enjoy life.

Evan I have a guy from EL Salvador that works for me on my farm his english is worse than my spanish but you can use hand signs and talk slower and for sure he will understand the almighty Dollar bill just treat him good and he will do the same for you.

Toroguy
06-22-2001, 08:54 AM
Evan,
Pick up "spanish for gringos" a tutorial book. That should give you some basics. Or move to El Paso for on the job training.

awm
06-23-2001, 05:26 PM
when i hear this stuff at first i was ashamed of the young whites.
then realized it was the young white an black homegrowns that were
running their on buisinesses and looking for help.then i kinda felt proud. there is hope.
later now

Paradise Yard Service
06-23-2001, 06:14 PM
I usually take a vacation to avoid getting burned out. I,ve found over the years that you just need to hack it and you will come through O.K.

Last vacation was two weeks ago to the gold country of Northern Ca. Went to Forest Hill to a buddies mining claim and had tons of fun. Found a little of the ol yellow gold too!

Kind of hard to get back into the swing of things now back in Hawaii. Just now catching up.

Hang in there dude!

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

Evan528
06-23-2001, 07:20 PM
Well, My new mexican (Feliano) is working out great! Besides the fact that he dosnt speak a single word of english and I dont speak spanish its challaging at times. This guy is so motivated to work wich im really not use to having with employees! As soon as we pull up to a lawn hes out the truck before its even in park. I had him start off on my lawn.... he was extremly rusty but by the second lawn of the day he was perfect. It does get a bit boring during the day not being able to talk to anybody in the truck but I dont think im gonna ever hire another white guy again! Having a hard woring employee has sure taken a ton of bricks off my back..... although my english/spanish dictionary sure is getting a work out! ;)