PDA

View Full Version : My %@$ #*^! Neighbors (Those People)

vipermanz
06-20-2001, 02:56 AM
Time was all it took to find out if (Those People) really wanted my accounts , Hmm i think so, Here's the story:
I am awaken at 10:00 by my mom telling me i have a phone call, it's one of my customers, So i get up answer it and before i finish saying hello, she says she don't need me any more, Hmm, okay, i thank her for her time & so on, during the day the same thing happens to me again different customer same story "well this guy will do it for $15 NOT $35" , After that i hop on my bike ride over only to see (Those People)(my neighbors) in the middle of cutting it!! arghhhh.
Later i go out to get the mail and come upon their flyer in the mailbox which in a large font reads"ALL WORK UNDER $20" , that really ticks me off so bad i kick the mail box post in half!.Whew!!!!!!
I really need to go to bed and get this off my mind, Thanks For Your Time

P.s If This Is On The Wrong Board In Your Opinion Please Move It To The Off-Topic Thank You

cos
06-20-2001, 04:45 AM
I had the same thing happen. Dude was charging $10 a cut on his flyer. His work put him out of biz and then the customers called back and I raised the prices. Lesson learned on both ends.

Alan
06-20-2001, 06:51 AM
So, you threw a hissy fit and broke somebodys mailbox post. Nice, mature approach.

Island Lawn
06-20-2001, 07:54 AM
Your mom woke you up @ 10:00?
LOL

What did the mailbox ever do to you?

You might want to talk to your remaining customers before they check the mail.
Make them happy!

Good Luck !

Runner
06-20-2001, 11:09 AM
What does their work look like compared to yours? If your work is much better, USE that wgen you talk to your customers, and also explain to them how much it COSTS to do a lawn, and that these guys probably won't be in business long, and that YOU'RE in it for the long haul. I'm sure many customers will stay with you. That is, unless there are other reasons to leave. P.S. You need to have your rearend up and out of bed WAY before 10:00!

gogetter
06-20-2001, 03:58 PM
So, you threw a hissy fit and broke somebodys mailbox post. Nice, mature approach.

Actually, if you read his post, it was HIS mailbox post. He's allowed. ;-)
As someone else pointed out, these people won't be around for long at those prices. They will realize it's not worth it. If someone else calls to cancel, explain that those guys may not be insured and may not pay taxes. Explain that the new people probably won't last and that they are welcome to call you back when the other guys fold (that's assuming you would want them back). But be the professional and the better man at all times.

Turfcouncil
06-20-2001, 05:21 PM
I love the 10$ per cut dudes
Thay are all over around here

Sounds like a hair cut deal!

vipermanz
06-20-2001, 05:45 PM
i'm 15 and out of school!! i can sleep late!!
i got my mail box back up too

Charles
06-20-2001, 08:34 PM
It was his masmailbox and she was nice enough to let him sleep until 10 and this is the thanks she gets..........

AndrewLawn
06-20-2001, 08:47 PM
I'm with viperman.SLEEP IN!I got a job at subway and about 4 days a week need to be there at 8:30,and awake by NO LATER than 8:00,even thats cutting it close!I'm 15,tired,working 35 hours a week at subway,keeping up with 7 lawnmowing jobs that I have and still trying to maintain a social life and have enough time to sleep!To top it off,once school starts,I will still be working at subway(but maybe only 20,or less,hours a week)maintaining those 7 lawns(thats 1 a day at once a week,so,there goes about an hour or so out of everyday)staying on student council(look,10 kids out of 55 that ran were elected by other students,and there are 500 some odd students in my grade...I kind of have a commitment there),trying to get 8n hours sleep a night,staying active playing ball...just add up all the things going on in my life!to tell viperman not to sleep is like hell,10:00 is a little late,but give us some credit here)I truly beleive life is harder now for kids than it was 40 years ago.not to say there wasn't drugs,violence,gangs,divorce,popularity contests,work,fights,school, and more than 24 hours a day back in the 1950's,but ya'll seriously need to cut us some slack.I'm a pretty good kid,I've done my fair share of things,not gonna name anything in particular,but I have hardships....the only reason I'm not a drug addict is because 3/4 of my friends got f**ked up on it and
I saw what it did,and they used to be as good a kid as i am.I'm not saying i haven't piddled with stuff,but just got some sense in me.anyway,disregard this if you don't like it.

kutnkru
06-20-2001, 08:49 PM
V-M-Z

I would take this time to reflect on some things:

FIRST. You are only fifteen years old, and were being paid professional wages. If you were a college grad then I could see the bent up anger and frustration.

SECOND. You are sleeping at 10 o'clock in the morning and acting just as a young adult should - most of us did at your age. You should be up and out the door long ago canvassing the neighborhood with the "Early Bird Gets The Worm" philosophy.

THIRD. There will always be cut-throat competition in this business just like many other service oriented fields. If you cannot replace all of your lost clientele use this time to study up on Turfgrass Sciences and Landscaping Fundamentals.

FOURTH. This is the time for pruning and shearing. Go get your feet wet in some of the other aspects of the field. Consider sealcoating driveways at $120 a pop~! Theres the chance to make some GREAT money in short amount of time.

FIFTH. Repair/replace the mailbox damaged post and appologize to your mother for your infantile behavior. Then ask her for some guidance on ways to move ahead with your career instead of hindering it with violence.

Good Luck to you this summer!
Kris

parkwest
06-20-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by AndrewLawn
I'm with viperman.SLEEP IN!I got a job at subway and about 4 days a week need to be there at 8:30,and awake by NO LATER than 8:00,even thats cutting it close! I truly beleive life is harder now for kids than it was 40 years ago.not to say there wasn't drugs,violence,gangs,divorce,popularity contests,work,fights,school, and more than 24 hours a day back in the 1950's,but ya'll seriously need to cut us some slack.I'm a pretty good kid,I've done my fair share of things,not gonna name anything in particular,but I have hardships....the only reason I'm not a drug addict is because 3/4 of my friends got f**ked up on it and
I saw what it did,and they used to be as good a kid as i am.I'm not saying i haven't piddled with stuff,but just got some sense in me.anyway,disregard this if you don't like it.

Reading these post from these 15 y.o.'s and I now understand why this country is going down the toilet. These post are a walking advertisement to get your kids out of the gov't indoctrination centers. I raised 4 kids and anyone who slept in til 10:00a had to be either sick or dying.

I grew up in the 50's & 60's and what we did on the farm before school would probably kill you.

I am your competition and by 10:00a I've already been working 4 hours. You plan on showing up in the 6th inning of the ballgame of life and you expect to win. FAT CHANCE!!

Lawn DOG
06-20-2001, 10:31 PM
Sounds like a scrubfest. Would the real scrub please stand up!LoL:laugh:

powerreel
06-20-2001, 10:36 PM
grow up and wash your moms car

lee b
06-20-2001, 10:42 PM
I can't believe how easy you've got it . My son is 11, when he's not in school, he's always out of the house by 7:30 a.m. at the latest, including Saturdays, and he's working either on the farm, at his grandpa's business, or with me mowing grass. During the summer when I was your age we were in the tobacco field at first light. I think everybody should have been raised on a farm, then they would know what hard work really is. If you think 35 hours a week in the air conditioning and 7 yards is rough, you've got a rude awakening coming. Not trying to put you down or discourage you, life is tough and you gotta BE TOUGHER.:blob3:

plow kid
06-20-2001, 10:44 PM
$5.00 any size front&back $3.00 trailer lots

from the Scrub ads in the paper

Sammy
06-21-2001, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by lee blount
During the summer when I was your age we were in the tobacco field at first light. I think everybody should have been raised on a farm, then they would know what hard work really is.

I agree. When I was a 15 year old whipper snapper I was up at 5:30 am and in the barn by 6:00 am. Was usually in bed around 8:00 pm during the week, around 9 or 10 pm on the weekends. Had every other sunday off.

Ah yes, the good 'ole days ! :D

AndrewLawn
06-21-2001, 03:43 PM
I guess I ate my words on this one,you guys are right...sorry.

roscioli
06-21-2001, 04:03 PM
wow, give the kid a break. He probably makes more with his push (or whatever he uses) than you guys do with your $10,000 72" riders. The people that hire young guys to mow their lawns for low prices arent the same people that hire established businesses to mow. Don't worry, hes not stealing your customers. At 15, he owns his own business, and you were milking cows, who has more ambition? Andrew Lawn, is that springfield MA? I am out in sturbridge (Old sturbridge village). Take it easy man, and instead of kicking your mailbox, kick your neighbor's. -michael
ps, i dont mean to be an arse to all you established people out there, but jeez, give the kid a break is all

Keith
06-21-2001, 04:49 PM
What does what time you wake up have to do with anything? I know people who start at 7 am and finish for the day at 3 pm. Personally I am not a morning person, never have been. I like to start at 11 am or so and finish up around 8:30pm. I have to adjust that a little in the winter ;) Does that make me less of a "man" than you early starters. Am I what's wrong with this country?

shorty7616
06-21-2001, 06:31 PM
I don't see anything wrong with waking up late, as long as you plan on working LATE. Personally, I would much rather start early and beat the heat. Then, if you get done early......you've earned yourself some lake time.

sgreanbean
06-21-2001, 07:08 PM
im up at 4am out the door at 4:05. start first account at 4:45 and dont come back home till midnight, walk the dog , wash the car and do the dishes, wash luandry, practice my spelling! balance the check books. sharpen all the blades, wash all equipment, call my mother every night befrore i go to bed! top that!!you guys crack me up!
:cool:

vipermanz
06-21-2001, 07:39 PM
will any moderator lock this ?Please!!!

lawnman_scott
06-21-2001, 07:43 PM
I dont think kids today have it harder, but......... sounds like andrew is a pretty good kid, works, has a business, active in school. Give the kid a break, hes starting his own lawn service, not taking over daddys like some will possibly doing one day, including mine. And it sounds like hes doing it by choice, not because his parents are forcing him to.

KirbysLawn
06-21-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by vipermanz
will any moderator lock this ?Please!!!

I locked the last one you started on the same subjuct but for some reason you started another. You insisted on bringing this back up so here it is. This is exactly why I closed the last one.

Ray