PDA

View Full Version : Another fall clean up question

GotGreen
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
I think I got an idea of what I want for a truck leaf vacuum for next year, but beside using an air blower, what else are you using to collect leafs and get them closer to your vacuum truck. I have not really seen anyone around here (St Louis area) doing a lot of fall clean ups, other than driving by Emerson electric where I have seen a big company with a Toolcat pulling a trailer with a vacuum and several workers blowing leafs on piles to be pick up by it, it seems kind of inefficient to me and that’s the reason why I ask what else is everyone else doing. I have WB mowers but those Accelerator baggers and Grass Gobblers with extensions seem like they will get full to fast to be effective with leafs, but I have never used one, anyone using them? I may consider a Mid Mount Z turn but I do not like those triple bags that have to be emptied manually, maybe a Front Mount with a hard shell? I feel I left a lot of money on the table by not doing leaf clean ups but is only my second year and I think I am growing at a good pace and I don't really like to give money to dealers W/O knowing what I am doing and there the reason for this thread. So what is everyone else doing?

ed2hess
11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Rounding up leaves isn't easy but mulching them in place takes care of the problem when leaves are less than 6". Then after running over them a few times you can spread pieces with blowers or bag them with most any bagger. A lot of guys use the roundup technique like you describe but that takes more equipment which is fine if you got places to store it the rest of the year.

topsites
11-14-2006, 12:26 AM
If a blower can't move a waist-high pile of leaves then that blower sux.

10 horsepower pushblower, nobody ever believes me.
No, not 5 or 6hp, not 7 or 8 or even 9.95hp turbo, I said TEN horse power.

You can take those puny 300-400cfm 190mph backpack blowers and put 4-6 men on a team against me and my pushblower, and the 2,400 cfm jet stream my billygoat puts out will not hesitate to put your hardiest laborers to shame.

You can take plows, shredders and vacuums and all that other crap and throw it in the garbage.

2400 cubic feet / minute... That's the volume of air that occupies a 15x20x8 master bedroom every 60 seconds, pushed through a 4x4 inch outlet... If your truck and trailer were made of air, it would blow them through in under 20 seconds.

That waist-high pile of leaves? Punch a hole through it, right through the bottom center push through as the rest of the pile crumbles, it takes care of a nice load of leaves, moving cubic Yardssss of leaves 15 feet out in 20-30 seconds flat.
VROOOOOM !!!

I ain't never had a yard took more than 4 hours by myself, as soon as I fire up that billygoat, the revv of that turbine is the sound of the fat lady singing 'the bs is over.'

Watch your step, if you accidentally step foot in front of that chute while not paying attention, it will likely knock you on your tail.

You get a 10 horsepower pushblower and you be one with the force o' luke leafmaster.

noseha
11-14-2006, 05:36 AM
48'' wb w/ leaf catcher, 2 back packs, 1 wb blower 8 hp little wonder, 1hand hend, 30'' rakes, 1 long handle 8'' rakes, 3 pitch forks,16 billy goat leaf loader, leaf dump box, tarps, laedder for gutters 1-3/4 ton pick up. with a 3 worker crew you should be able to do a 10k sqft in 1-1.5 hrs. I'm now looking into a big wb blower and 2 new back pack blowers and having one big crew 6 workers or two 3 worker crews and 1 worker with the sucker truck running dump trips back and forth