PDA

View Full Version : Hunter WVC/WVP Problem


PurpHaze
11-14-2006, 08:39 AM
We tackled our next to last TBOS to WVC conversion yesterday and all went well until it was time to program the WVC-400 (4 station battery operated controller). I entered the info for the four valve programs (Hunter 1-1/2" ICVs) but it will only take/hold the info for #1 and #2. When I upload the program to the WVP to check the programming all the info for #1/#2 valves is there but a "did not communicate" symbol came up for stations #3/#4. I'm positive this is a four station controller because there are four control wires coming out of the unit. It's acting like it's only a 2 station controller. I tried programming two other WVC-400s purchased at the same time and they're doing the same thing. I also used a second wireless programmer and all the controllers are still doing the same thing. My only guess is that these actually only have the two station chip (or whatever is used internally) and therefore can't be programmed for four stations.

Uncanny thing is that after the valves were installed but before the WVC was programmed I manually started each valve (after security code programmed in and with water off) to make sure I had the wiring correct since these valves are split between two jumbo valve boxes approximately 6' apart. The valves all worked fine in manual mode.

Any insight from the gang???

Dirty Water
11-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Hayes, I'd give Hunter a call directly.

I haven't used the WVC's, so thats all I can do.

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I submitted a report through their website so I'll hold off until I get a response back. However, yesterday I went out to a couple of sites that have 200s and 400s already installed and working for up to two years. The 200s (2 station) acted exactly like the 400s I'm having the problem with. A "does not communicate" symbol came up for valves #3 and #4 which is exactly what I had expected when trying to program a 2 station controller with four programs. The 400s worked fine as I was able to tweak the existing programs like normal on all four valves.

Weird thing is that I believe there is a manufacturer date embossed into the plastic shroud that covers the upper part of the battery holder. Two of the bad controllers have NOV03 on them while the third one has OCT04. I checked some of the controllers out in the field that are still working well and these same dates are on four that properly work. A couple also have OCT06 on them at the newest site where these were installed.

I'm still guessing that maybe when these were put together in China the wrong board or chip was installed.

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 08:53 AM
They do have an 800 number. I call them up every now and then and ask them about their stream rotor head, just to keep them on their toes. :p

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Got a response back this morning at work. Hunter suggested removing the battery for five minutes and then putting in a new, different security code. Guess this is supposed to clear the memory or something. It took over five tries before the two spares at the shop would accept a four valve program. It took nine attempts on the one already installed at the site. I also could not get the three digit code I'd wanted (two digit site number + next sequential number) to install. Anyway, it seems to be working right now... just in time to start shutting down our controllers. :)

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
They do have an 800 number.:p

Telephone??? Sooooo old fashion. :)

I called my buddy at the local Ewing who has contacted the area Hunter rep. We're supposed to get together sometime this next week because he wants to see what the problem is up close and personal.:p

gusbuster
11-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Telephone??? Sooooo old fashion. :)

I called my buddy at the local Ewing who has contacted the area Hunter rep. We're supposed to get together sometime this next week because he wants to see what the problem is up close and personal.:p

Which is the reason to have a good and personal relationship with your irrigation supply house.

PurpHaze
12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Got on the phone with a Hunter techie today about the problem. He asked a few questions and then said, "Heck... You've done a good job of trying to isolate the problem already. Send them back to our department so we can tear them apart. Sounds like someone at the factory put four control wires on a two station model."

Took four WVC-400s back to Ewing and told them how to return the units so Tech Services gets them back and they aren't lost at the factory. Ewing is getting us four more to replace the four we're returning.