PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer - Leaf Removal - Getting Leaves out of trailer

ztrguy
11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a boxed in dump trailer for leaf removal and the leaves aren't sliding out of the dump trailer at all when it's completely tilted. Is there anything I can put on the bottom of the trailer to help the leaves slide out? Anyone else having problems? Let me know...thanks!

Tharrell
11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Put a pallet in the front of the trailer, tie a rope or chain to it and run it to the rear. Attach the rope/chain to something when ready to dump and pull forward.
Works with shingles, should work with leaves.

shenders
11-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Spray on graphite (just like spray paint) works pretty good. You have to reapply every once in a while but it works well with my dump system. I buy mine at John Deere but I am sure you can get it just about anywhere.

TWUllc
11-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Thats interesting. Never heard that before. Wish I could help. Tharrell's idea sounds good though with the pallet.

ztrguy
11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Put a pallet in the front of the trailer, tie a rope or chain to it and run it to the rear. Attach the rope/chain to something when ready to dump and pull forward.
Works with shingles, should work with leaves.

I did that last year since I didn't have a dump trailer. Had to use another pickup to hook onto the chain. That's why I bought the dump trailer....so I didn't have to hassle with another truck, pallets, etc. Looks like I'll try the Graphite spray and hope it works. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

Grn Mtn
11-14-2006, 04:15 PM
curious, whats the dump angle? did you buy a low-profile trailer? how about the old back up and hit the brakes trick?

The Captain
11-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I have a dump insert with a 4' high ply wood leaf box on my pickup. I raise the dump unit all the way and then slowly pull forward. The load slides out clean. The only time I have a problem is when the leaves are damp/wet or they set in there over night.

Jim

ztrguy
11-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a dump insert with a 4' high ply wood leaf box on my pickup. I raise the dump unit all the way and then slowly pull forward. The load slides out clean. The only time I have a problem is when the leaves are damp/wet or they set in there over night.

Jim

The leaves were a little damp and sat in the dump trailer overnight. I figure the majority of the leaves we clean up are going to be damp/wet unless we have a dry spell. It's been a really wet October/November here.

curious, whats the dump angle? did you buy a low-profile trailer? how about the old back up and hit the brakes trick?

The angle is really steep when dumping. I don't want to try moving the dump trailer while it's tilted. The ground isn't perfectly level so I don't want to risk tipping it over on it's side.

There's gotta be an easy way to make the bottom slick. I'm going to try the Graphite spray and see how that works.

Landmark
11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I have a dump trailer converted to a leaf box, and just as with other applications you have to move the truck and trailer forward in order to empty it. It's not all just going to dump out standing still.

MDLawnman
11-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Would fluid film work? Or how about car wax? Anything to make it slicker.

Groomer
11-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I had the same trouble with my leaf dump truck. screw some shiny plastic tarps down on the floor, A couple of quick jerks and the whole load will slide out! Even the wet stuff. I can go dump by myself now and keep the crew working..

Scottish LScape
11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I have a boxed in dump trailer for leaf removal and the leaves aren't sliding out of the dump trailer at all when it's completely tilted. Is there anything I can put on the bottom of the trailer to help the leaves slide out? Anyone else having problems? Let me know...thanks!
We wax the bottom of the dump trailer. It works great with wet leaves that sit over night.

lawnprosteveo
11-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Works with shingles, should work with leaves.This was suggested to me and I started doing it this season....works great! Thanks lawnsite peeps!:drinkup:

cantoo
11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Like groomer said try slippery tarps first. Make sure you don't have anything in the box that will hold the load back like screws or bolts. Paint the inside of the box. You can also buy a big piece of 1/4 plastic for the floor but it will be dollars.

ztrguy
11-14-2006, 10:05 PM
I had the same trouble with my leaf dump truck. screw some shiny plastic tarps down on the floor, A couple of quick jerks and the whole load will slide out! Even the wet stuff. I can go dump by myself now and keep the crew working..

Explain more please. If you screw the tarps down do you mean you jerk the dump trailer by pulling up? or?

Groomer
11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I used drywall screws every 18 inches through the plastic tarp, all the way around the inside edge. I doubled the edge for strength. When I go to dump, I raise the bed ALL the way, hit reverse, slam the brakes, hit forward, bam! slides out everytime. Wet is just as good, if not better, cause wet means weight, and the load wants to move! Try it. I'll post a pic if I get a chance.

Groomer
11-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I should add I don't have a dump trailer, its a modified landscape truck, with sides and top netting, holds a freakin' boatload of leaves, but its ugly as sin, or hell, or whatever...

ztrguy
11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I used drywall screws every 18 inches through the plastic tarp, all the way around the inside edge. I doubled the edge for strength. When I go to dump, I raise the bed ALL the way, hit reverse, slam the brakes, hit forward, bam! slides out everytime. Wet is just as good, if not better, cause wet means weight, and the load wants to move! Try it. I'll post a pic if I get a chance.

So are these special tarps that I need to look for? Where should I buy them? Thanks!

Dano50
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Would fluid film work? Or how about car wax? Anything to make it slicker.

Man, you guys are creative. Fluid Film would certainly help, although you'd probably fall on your a** is you tried to walk inside the trailer afterwards.

Charles
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Man, you guys are creative. Fluid Film would certainly help, although you'd probably fall on your a** is you tried to walk inside the trailer afterwards.

That would be good for your video collection--The Fluid Film Follies:laugh:

Dano50
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
That would be good for your video collection--The Fluid Film Follies:laugh:

It would make a nice Christmas video. :laugh:

grassaholic
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I've got an enclosed dump trailer that I use for leaves. I just raise it all the way up, put the truck in reverse, get a little speed and hit the brakes. Slides out every time. I know it seems dangerous to move the trailer when it is all the way up, but I've been doing it since 1997 and i've never flipped it over.:drinkup:

jpp
11-15-2006, 03:39 PM
So are these special tarps that I need to look for? Where should I buy them? Thanks!

I would think any tarp would work. I have never seen any special tarps out there just for this.

JP