PDA

View Full Version : Scag 36" Wb

LAWNMOWERBOY
06-20-2001, 03:12 PM
Hi-

Looking into buying a SCAG 36" 13hp/ belt driven wb-

i'm just wondering if anyone has any input (pro or con) about this particular piece? I'm curious about how easy or difficult it is to operate (weight factor?), how the unit performs in the rain, performance on slopes, and overall wear -n- tear for commercial use, and of course price- i was quoted a price of $2550 for the belt drive and 4265 for the hydrostatic.

i am leaning toward the belt drive because of price.

thank you for any info

LB

swonkeg
06-20-2001, 04:00 PM
I have the same machine with a 12.5 hp. If you're just side discharging then the 13 hp will be fine - but if you will be mulching on a regular basis get the most hp you can. Also
mine has a bad habit of leaving a strip or stringers in the center
if the deck is not kept scraped clean. Other than the lack of hp &
the stringers the machine has been solid mechanically. No problems on slopes or hills, even with a set of jungle wheels. Plus the dealer is excellent with timely repairs & service.
Paid 2200.00
Lastly-If Possible -Demo, Demo, Demo

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-20-2001, 06:43 PM
Considering you're cutting cool season grasses, you're not going to have same problem with stringers as our Southern friend. I run a lesco wb, basically, a scag rip off. I get a GREAT cut with mine. Same results with scag. Plus all the other holds true.

edward hedrick
06-20-2001, 10:37 PM
I have a 52 Lesco w 17 hp kawi paid 3000 in 96.
I've seen the Lesco 48 w 15 kawi v twin about 2300. 36" w 14 kawi
2200. My Scag Sthm and the 52 lesco have the same deck design.
The Lesco 48 great with a sulky doesnot bounce even in 4th.
If you put a Lesco and scag with standard deck next toeach. the
Lesco looks good.

guntruck
06-20-2001, 10:41 PM
We run a 32" scag w/b belt drive with a 14 hp kaw. Its a great little machine we use for gated yards, never any problems and it seems to be built like a tank. The grass dispersal is great, the only complaint i can muster is you seem to have to wrestle it in smaller confined areas. Other than that its a great machine.

Fine Lines Lawn
06-21-2001, 01:31 AM
We have 2 Scag 36 belt drives and they are great machines. We have them for our small or gated lawns but they cut well enough for anywhere. As far as a mower that size, I opt for belt drive because of the limited areas where those mowers are used. I pay the extra for hydrolics on the larger walk behinds.

WINTER 3
06-21-2001, 08:39 PM
I have 2 Scag walk behinds. A 36" with 12.5 hp kaw, which is a belt drive. Great machine, paid for it self time & time again. This machine is the early version, probably 10-12 years old now. Used it for 3 years and have only replaced spindle bearings.

My other machine is a 52" hydro with a 17 hp kaw. This has the advantage deck, which will be the only deck avaible in the future. This is my second season with this machine and it is a wonderful machine.

The belt drive mows well in the rain for a little while. Some times after being trailered in the rain, the blade belt slips. After some use the drive belts will slip (the reason hydro's are king). You can plan that reverse will not work, so pay the extra $100 for the positive reverse kit.

If you plan to have this machine for the future, mow hilly areas, and in the rain. Do yourself a favor and buy the hydro, it will pay for itself and it's also FASTER!!!!!
good luck

2GuysLandscaping
06-25-2001, 08:39 AM
hi-

thank yo all for the replies... going demoing today.

LB

Finecut
06-25-2001, 10:06 AM
2 Guys,

Talk to them about that price. 36" gear drive 14hp Kawi $2375.00. And the 36" Daul hydro with 14hp Kawi $3729.00.