PDA

View Full Version : Small Claims Vs. Collections Vs. Write off

procut
11-15-2006, 12:43 AM
I have a guy who owes me a little over $200 for mowing. He wrote me a bad check, won't return my phone calls, and has not responded to several letters, including one sent via certified mail. I know this is a small amount, but on matter of principle, I hate to let him get away with it. Do you think its worth filing in small claims court or using a collections agency, or since its such a small amount, should I just write it off and move on. Your opinions.

HOOLIE
11-15-2006, 01:21 AM
I say drag his sorry behind into court :hammerhead: $200 is a decent amount of money and coupled with his poor attitude...I would choose the most unpleasant (for him) route possible.

topsites
11-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Oh heck I love NSF checks (not really but) because they're the easiest to collect on.
Because a check is a legal, signed document most everybody recognizes.
And it's against the law to bounce a check, nevermind he owes you, he broke the law when he bounced it.

If you want your money, go see a magistrate or DA (start at the clerk's office thou lol).
Now you can only collect what was originally owed (the amount of the check), sorry, no late fees or anything else, just the face amount of the check, not even the bounced check fee (at least in VA) but hey it's money.

Usually for any amount it's against the law, thou over $200 might even be a felony, the laws vary from state to state.

Chances are you'll have your money before charges can be pressed.

YardPro
11-16-2006, 08:07 AM
topsites is right...

if they write you a bad check in NC then you do not even need to go to small claims court..
it is a misdemeanor, and criminal court will handle the issue... you WILL get your money

DBL
11-16-2006, 09:23 AM
topsites is right...

if they write you a bad check in NC then you do not even need to go to small claims court..
it is a misdemeanor, and criminal court will handle the issue... you WILL get your money

you cna get your money this way but also see what you can do with late fees bounce check fees and the extra time spent on this J A the courts may be able to help you

procut
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, thats settles it then. Thanks for the replies.