PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day for my MFT :(

lawnstriper23
11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Whelp, I finally came to my senses yesterday a realized that the Winter months are fast approaching us. I finally broke down and started to winterize the MFT (Mini Fastrack). I washed and waxed what I could, ran the gas tanks empty, emptied the oil, removed the spark plug, removed the blades (I plan on getting some Gator Blades for next season) and aired down the tires. Very sad day indeed, but everyday is one day closer to Spring :) What other things should I do to the MFT to winterize it? I have read the manual, but wanted to see what everybody else does. Thanks.........

mowerconsultant
11-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Removed the spark plug?
I certainly would put it back in unless you have a plug of some sort in there, moisture will get in there and rust your cylinder.
I would also remove the battery and store it in a warmer place than a garage or shed if you can.
Cover it with a nice warm wool blanket to keep your baby warm for the winter....:)

Pj

46mack
11-17-2006, 09:50 PM
it is a little expensive, but you could always move to florida like me. grass is still growing and im still cutting. my winter rye is looking much better than my neighbors. :cool2: mulching blades shreds the oak leaves and the old accelerator does a great job of catching them. (gotta have the airflow kit) i might even try stripping the rye, centipede does not lay down.

Jason Rose
11-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Drained the oil? and didn't put any back in? what's the point in that? To me that's NOT a good idea at all. And why let the air out of the tires???? Did you out it on little jack stands to keep the tires from getting deformed from sitting flat like that?

Also, like stated, put the plug(s) back in! Having it out invites dirt and dust as well as moisture in the hole. Also put oil in it and air up the tires... They will likely go low over the cold months anyway, and if they go totally flat air them up asap to keep them from being ruined.

Also, just my opinion, as well as many others, that it's actualyl better to leave fuel in it and add stabilizer to it rather than run it dry...

lawnstriper23
11-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Opps, forgot to mention that I replaces the spark plug. Even though my MFT has onlt 19 hours or so on it I fugured it wouldn't hurt to change it.........

Grass Kickin
11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
What is winterizing? lol

lawnstriper23
11-22-2006, 08:14 AM
it is a little expensive, but you could always move to florida like me. grass is still growing and im still cutting. my winter rye is looking much better than my neighbors. :cool2: mulching blades shreds the oak leaves and the old accelerator does a great job of catching them. (gotta have the airflow kit) i might even try stripping the rye, centipede does not lay down.

I guess that is one way to get your post count higher, to post useless information like that!! Keep up the imformative posts like that and you will be a Lawnsite Senior Member in no time.......

mowerconsultant
11-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Opps, forgot to mention that I replaces the spark plug. Even though my MFT has onlt 19 hours or so on it I fugured it wouldn't hurt to change it.........

Ok.
Good, just wanted to make sure you had a plug in it for storage.

Pj

MarcSmith
11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I guess that is one way to get your post count higher, to post useless information like that!! Keep up the imformative posts like that and you will be a Lawnsite Senior Member in no time.......

and your original post provided what valuable information, emptied the oil, letting the air out of tires, removing the blades....Might as well remove the belts and un hook any springs while you're at it...