PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Question

DOORZ
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I have a question about winterizing my system. In reading through all of the information about winterizing my system it mentions to start with the furthest zone, and work you way back to the blowout/shutoff. I assume the easiest way to cycle through all of the zones would be to use the controller, and have it set to run each zone for 2 minutes and then move on to the next zone.

My question is really pertaining to the zones closest to my blowout/shutoff. I have 5 zones (zones 9-13) that are in this area, zone 9 is at the lowest point, and 13 is at the highest point. If I cycle these zones through using the timer the lowest zone will get blown out before the highest zone. Each one of these zones gets progressively higher until it gets to the last zone, which is an elevation change of about 10 feet from low point to high point. Is this going to matter?

I plan on cycling through the entire system twice, but I wasnít sure if I would get water running from the higher zones back into the lower zones, or is that not possible due to the entire system being pressurized?

This is my first year with the sprinkler system, so I am looking for some advice before I do my first winterization.

Mjtrole
11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I have a question about winterizing my system. In reading through all of the information about winterizing my system it mentions to start with the furthest zone, and work you way back to the blowout/shutoff. I assume the easiest way to cycle through all of the zones would be to use the controller, and have it set to run each zone for 2 minutes and then move on to the next zone.

My question is really pertaining to the zones closest to my blowout/shutoff. I have 5 zones (zones 9-13) that are in this area, zone 9 is at the lowest point, and 13 is at the highest point. If I cycle these zones through using the timer the lowest zone will get blown out before the highest zone. Each one of these zones gets progressively higher until it gets to the last zone, which is an elevation change of about 10 feet from low point to high point. Is this going to matter?

I plan on cycling through the entire system twice, but I wasnít sure if I would get water running from the higher zones back into the lower zones, or is that not possible due to the entire system being pressurized?

This is my first year with the sprinkler system, so I am looking for some advice before I do my first winterization.

what type/size of compressor?

DOORZ
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
A couple of us are going to rent a big towable compressor from the local rental shop.

Wet_Boots
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Depending on the rental unit, you might be getting in over your head here. A compressor set to run jackhammers (and not adjustable by the renter) is capable of blowing sprinkler heads right off their pipe connections.

DOORZ
11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
The compressor that I am looking at renting is is adjustable, as the other person I am renting this with, has rented this compressor in the past to do his yard in the last couple of years, and has had no issues with blowing their system apart. I know I should me more concerned with CFM than psi, as too high psi will end up breaking parts.

If I am using the timer to cyle through my zones, I am just not sure if it will matter if blowing out the lower zones before the higher zones will have an impact in winterization. I am not sure if with a compressor with adequate CFM can compensate for the elevation change from higher to lower zones, or if it even matters.

If it does make a difference, or if it's better to blow out the higher zones before the lower zones assuming I have a compressor with adequate CFM, I could always re-wire my timer at the controller to reverse these zones. I am just not sure if gravity would be working against me in this situation.

irritation
11-15-2006, 08:17 PM
It makes no difference, just go through the zones at least twice. The only advantage of blowing the furthest zone first is it makes the others go faster.

Flow Control
11-15-2006, 09:21 PM
How much would a irrigation company charge in your area?

Mad Estonian
11-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Doesn't your controller allow you to manually operate each valve individually, in whatever order you like? I know it's easier to go the "Manual- all valves" setting, but I prefer to use the single valve manual control and keep an eye on the zones, they don't all take the same amount of time. It does mean more walking, of course (unless maybe you own a Segway).

PurpHaze
11-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Doesn't your controller allow you to manually operate each valve individually, in whatever order you like? I know it's easier to go the "Manual- all valves" setting, but I prefer to use the single valve manual control and keep an eye on the zones, they don't all take the same amount of time. It does mean more walking, of course (unless maybe you own a Segway).

Or a remote? :)

Mad Estonian
11-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Or a remote?

Well now you're getting all fancy and hi-tech on me, might as well be a Buck Rogers-style rocket-propelled backpack...

DOORZ
11-16-2006, 08:58 AM
My controller Hunter Pro-C will allow me to run each station individually, but I can't program it to run stations in whatever order I want. I thought it would be much easier to set the controller on a run all stations for 2 minutes, and then re-cycle back through all of the zones again.

I was looking for opinions about my situation with my elevation change. My other 8 zones don't have as much of an elevation change, since they are smaller, but they just happen to be wired where the highest zone starts before the lower zones. I guess whatever water runs back downhill from the higher zones will get blown out on my second pass.

I imagine it will be best to run each station from the controller one by one and monitor each one, since I can see why some stations will take less time than others to be blown out.

Wet_Boots
11-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Don't sweat the elvations, if you do the zones twice, and if you don't have a main line, it doesn't matter at all. If I'm doing blowouts with a truckmount (small) compressor on a mainline system, I start with the uphill zones, and work my way downhill.

PurpHaze
11-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Or a remote?

Well now you're getting all fancy and hi-tech on me, might as well be a Buck Rogers-style rocket-propelled backpack...

LOL... The situations you guys are in it's not always available because you're at the whim of whatever was previously put in by the installer or homeowner. In my case we only have two types of controllers and a remote is an absolute necessity.

DOORZ
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't sweat the elvations, if you do the zones twice, and if you don't have a main line, it doesn't matter at all. If I'm doing blowouts with a truckmount (small) compressor on a mainline system, I start with the uphill zones, and work my way downhill.

Thanks for the input. I do have a mainline that feeds all of my zones, so it sounds as though it's best to start with my uphill zones and work my way down.

justgeorge
11-16-2006, 01:45 PM
You could pretty easily rewire the zones in the control box to make them run in the order you want.....
George