PDA

View Full Version : When to do final cleanups in NJ???

mkwl
11-15-2006, 03:26 PM
For you guys in NJ, or the surrounding states, when are you doing your final cleanups? I have a few yards which have like 1 or 2 small oaks with 30% leaves still on them, other than that all the leaves on them (these few acconts) are done. The rest of my lawns will have to wait until the 1st weekend in December for their final cleanups. My question is, is this week too soon to be doing the clients final cleanups? I have been doing their leaves on a 10 day basis, after I do their final cleanup, I don't anticipate coming back. I just want to see when you guys start doing your clients last cleanups of the year, especially on "higher-class" accounts.

Thanks,
Matt

grassaholic
11-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Sounds to me like you have the right idea. I've had years where I'm still mowing grass/cleaning up leaves right before christmas. I'm sure that snow will play a role with your cleanup schedule just like it does mine. I'm waiting for some oak trees and pear trees to drop leaves right now so I can do a final clean up. I just tell my customers that I will be back for a final clean up as soon as the rest of their leaves drop. I also let them know that it may rain alot or snow and keep me from doing it. I remeber 1 year when I was doing final clean ups for some accounts in January because we had a big snow at the beginning of December that hung around till a warm spell in January.

rodfather
11-15-2006, 04:52 PM
We will completely wrap things up by month's end...if not sooner thank God. Pradford pears and Pin Oaks especially can go well into January before they are all down depending on daily temps. If they aren't all down soon, screw em, they can wait until next Spring IMO.

mkwl
11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
We will completely wrap things up by month's end...if not sooner thank God.

Where in Jersey are you (central, northern, southern)? Are you just getting the rest of the leaves that fall from here on in on the yard, and get to them in the spring? Would you do final cleanups even if some leaves will still come down?

rodfather
11-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I am in Hunterdon County, NW part of the state.

prizeprop
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Yes , there falling quick this year!!!

JJLandscapes
11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
last year we ended mid december with all the cleanups.... this year does look like everything is already down but who knows we will see

rodfather
11-15-2006, 08:12 PM
So what's with the sig I ask...so you are in debt up to your rear end...BFD

mkwl
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
We will completely wrap things up by month's end...if not sooner thank God. Pradford pears and Pin Oaks especially can go well into January before they are all down depending on daily temps. If they aren't all down soon, screw em, they can wait until next Spring IMO.

So, you guys don't think it is too early to be doing final cleanups on these lawns? I just don't want to do them, then have everybody elses' leaves blowing onto their lawns, but it seems several other area contractors are starting their final cleanups.

jt5019
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Id like to start now but its been raining almost everyday. Im usually wrapped up the week following thanksgiving but this year if it doesnt snow we may be going into december.

mkwl
11-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Okay, I guess my question is really- Do you start doing final cleanups before 100% of all the leaves on the yard are down? I can only really work on the weekends, since I'm in School, and it gets dark like 45 mins after I get home. I'm not sure I want to wait to start final cleanups until the first week in December (will be away weekend after Thanksgiving), if I do, I'll be doing cleanups until the week before Christmas, and by that time there may be snow on the ground. So, do you do final cleanups, even if there is like 15% of all the leaves on the property up on the trees (on oaks primarily)? I think I might do a few final cleanups this weekend, so I can finnish by the second weekend in December. What do you guys think? What % of your final cleanups have you done?

Thanks,
Matt

HOOLIE
11-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't like to wait too long...some people get PO'ed and get out and rake themselves...the sooner the better IMO. Just like you can't control the weather you have no say in how/when/if neighbors clean their leaves up...worst case your customer will call again for a 'bonus' cleanup.

Dstosh
11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I woulndt be too stressed, Do what you can when you can. Just explain that to your customers.If the leaves arent down at a reasonable time, what are you supposed to do. It is out of your control.

mkwl
11-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I woulndt be too stressed, Do what you can when you can. Just explain that to your customers.If the leaves arent down at a reasonable time, what are you supposed to do. It is out of your control.

So, you do them even if all the leaves aren't down?

prizeprop
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Starting November 1st, we start cleaning leaves.Two visits before thanksgiving and final visit after thanksgiving.Weather permitting. For our flat rate customers,we state in our agreements that after final visit, we are not responsible for leaves blowing in from adjacient properties.Any additional visit per there request, is additional charge. Hourly rate customers it doesnt matter if they call us back, however we make it clear weather permitting and that we must winterize our equiptment at some point and gear towards snow.

NNJLandman
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
We get so many cleanups I cant do much about em cleanups start later october/early november. I try to plan my best by checking out properties, whose got leaves down who doesnt. Reg. Maint customers get a cleanup every other week. As for finals, like I said I check the properties out, but we cant help it if theres still leaves around, good luck trying to get every last leaf, its not worth the hassle, pushing snow around and the winter weather puts em back there anyway, so we just get em in spring.

Jeff

Ol'time Lawncare
11-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm in south jersey. clean-ups for me should be done buy the end of this month!

mkwl
11-16-2006, 10:56 PM
We get so many cleanups I cant do much about em cleanups start later october/early november. I try to plan my best by checking out properties, whose got leaves down who doesnt. Reg. Maint customers get a cleanup every other week. As for finals, like I said I check the properties out, but we cant help it if theres still leaves around, good luck trying to get every last leaf, its not worth the hassle, pushing snow around and the winter weather puts em back there anyway, so we just get em in spring.

Jeff

Jeff-

So, you started doing your final (as in last one of the season) cleanups on your lawns?

HOOLIE
11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
If a customer wants an estimate on leaves I give them a price that will cover a few visits...that way everyone is happy.

One thing I have found over the years...not many customers are that anal about their leaves. They just want the place cleaned up, it doesn't need to be surgically sterile like we LCO's like :laugh: So even if some more leaves come onto the property they might be alright with that. When in doubt just ask them.

noseha
11-17-2006, 06:19 AM
the minute I stop mowing( end of oct. ). I start clean ups( this year oct.15). I do five or six as soon as I can get one or two loads off the yard. I will end up doing them three time in the season. I don't do heavy full one day job's with 6 guys I only run 3 workers crew and don't like being on the job site for more than 3 hours. we go in and clean them out with one to two trips to the dump. truck with insert and leaf box . when do you stop or do a final clean up when it snows. I do have a resort with over 42 hours this year and looking like about 12 more hours. 1/3 of its gone to reconstruction

Dstosh
11-17-2006, 04:08 PM
So, you do them even if all the leaves aren't down?

Yes, Get the bulk of the work done, see what happens. Who knows the other leaves might fall and be blown away by the wind.

JRS Landscaping
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
im in north jersey and already did 15 + cleanups

mkwl
11-17-2006, 08:00 PM
im in north jersey and already did 15 + cleanups

15 Final (as in not going back this season) cleanups?

1PRO
11-17-2006, 09:48 PM
For you guys in NJ, or the surrounding states, when are you doing your final cleanups? I have a few yards which have like 1 or 2 small oaks with 30% leaves still on them, other than that all the leaves on them (these few acconts) are done. The rest of my lawns will have to wait until the 1st weekend in December for their final cleanups. My question is, is this week too soon to be doing the clients final cleanups? I have been doing their leaves on a 10 day basis, after I do their final cleanup, I don't anticipate coming back. I just want to see when you guys start doing your clients last cleanups of the year, especially on "higher-class" accounts.

Thanks,
Matt
Just get- r -done son:drinkup:

1PRO
11-17-2006, 09:51 PM
im in north jersey and already did 15 + cleanups well yall are just the ****:realmad:

jasonnau
11-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I do mine after the final leaves have fallen but, usually by Dec. 1st. Oaks, pear trees, and sweet gum may pose a problem with that. Most of my customers know that their trees drop later if they have those kinds of trees. I would just ask your customers and feel them out. A lot of my customers want me to continue into November, but past that it's over. Usually they say "Yeah, get them now, and the rest are manageable for me". Just ask your customer how they feel about it. Plus, you can ask if they need anything else and maybe drum up a little more money before the end of the year.

RICHIE K
11-18-2006, 06:05 AM
BY the first week of dec. we should be done with cleanups, gutters and 2 mulch jobs

LarryF
11-18-2006, 08:05 AM
BY the first week of dec. we should be done with cleanups, gutters and 2 mulch jobs

If the leaves are put at the curb, you better be finished by 11/27 in my neighborhood, because that's when the town starts to pick them up. If leaves are at the curb after the pickup, the home owner gets a warning. If not removed after that (home owner's responsibility to do it at his own expense), he gets one more warning and the next time it's a subpoena to go to court and pay a fine. But even after he pays the fine, he still has to get rid of the leaves at his own expense.

NNJLandman
11-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey JRS Im outta Butler